Home-Based Businesses for Pet Lovers

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Andy3568, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Andy3568 New Member

I love animals. I would consider any of these:

Pet Sitter
    Doggy Day Care
    Dog Trainer
    Pet Photographer
    Pet Grooming
    Pet Boarding
    Dog Walking
    Aquarium Maintenance
    Aquarium / Fish Rental
    Fish Breeding

If anyone is actually running a home-based pet business, I'd love to hear about it.
  2. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Andy,

Nice list.

Hey "Fish Rental" sounds great! Where do I rent my first fish?! [IMG]

"Pet Sitter" sounds great - I never seem to be able to sit on my cats the right way. Show me how! Okay, I have to state the obvious by mentioning that no form of animal cruelty is ever ethically viable. I'm an animal rights freak.

Most dog owners I know would truly appreciate some good, effective dog training tips.

Pet photographer would be a great blog topic. If you go that route, drill down into the niche and specialize in a pet that no one else is yapping about.

Aquarium Maintenance is a good one. Again, I would drill down into the niche and either specialize in a group of aquatic critters and/or a type or size range of tank.

Think of salt water fish, fresh water fish, frogs, salamanders, newts, eels, turtles, etc...

Good post. Please let us know if you decide to do that and what you decide to specialize in.

~Newbie Shield~
  3. joanpeterson New Member

One that I know is popular is scooping up poop from dog owners. Some people just won't do it and their yards can get disgusting fairly quick.
  4. getagrip Gold Member

You might want look into marketing affiliate products for things like dog training or pet supplies - you can go into a bunch of different directions with is as long as you can write about different aspects of pet care - there is a lot of potential for this niche online!
  5. mountainmom5 Gold Member

I have come across very nicely done websites on pet stuff, that I knew was monetized with affiliate links and adsense... so it must be possible.[IMG]
  6. Andy3568 New Member

I don't know if I would take the dog poop scooper job. Also, given the behavior of my bad dogs, I don't know if I would be qualified to be a dog trainer. [IMG]

I have talked to many people who love fish and aquariums but don't want to spend the time it takes to maintain them, especially salt water reef aquariums. Many of these could be located at doctors' or dentists' offices. I don't know if that qualifies as "work at home" since most of the work would be done at different locations, but it could be a good home-based business.

Another good service is aquarium moving. If someone is relocating, a service that offers to relocate the aquarium and all livestock would be welcome. Some of the local fish stores do that here, but there aren't a huge number of them.
  7. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Andy3568: I have talked to many people who love fish and aquariums but don't want to spend the time it takes to maintain them, especially salt water reef aquariums. Many of these could be located at doctors' or dentists' offices. I don't know if that qualifies as "work at home" since most of the work would be done at different locations, but it could be a good home-based business.

Another good service is aquarium moving. If someone is relocating, a service that offers to relocate the aquarium and all livestock would be welcome. Some of the local fish stores do that here, but there aren't a huge number of them.
    Sounds like you may have some great ideas there.. keep us posted on how it goes for you.[IMG]
  8. melmeiko Guest

getagrip: You might want look into marketing affiliate products for things like dog training or pet supplies - you can go into a bunch of different directions with is as long as you can write about different aspects of pet care - there is a lot of potential for this niche online!

I agree! Affiliate marketing seems like the way to go in certain cases. It certainly seems like a good way to make some money on the side at least. Pets tend to be rather popular since a lot of people tend to treat them like other humans and individuals anyway.

I love animals, but knowing me, I'd take care of them for free.
  9. Esteban New Member

I have a link on my site to a lady who tells people how to set up a pet sitting business. Take a look
  10. bz1301 New Member

Pet Photography seems to be getting a lot more popular these days. There have been some articles over the past year about the popularity of pet photography. If you are interested in photography as well as pets, that could be a great way to combine them. After my son was born, I decided to combine my love for kids and photography and start a photography company. I love animals too, just haven't focused on that side of the photography. Good luck in getting your business started!
  11. VictoriaNTC Silver Member

This would be a perfect project for older children to become involved with after school.
    Walking the dogs, grooming the cats.

We sometimes volunteer to rescue cats and help at the shelter here in town.
    Happy Holidays everyone!
    Victoria
  12. Jean LA New Member

You can also sell ebooks about taking care of your pets at home. There are lots of it at Clickbank which pays a good percentage.
  13. BruceMiles New Member

If nearby yourself with dogs, cats, hamsters, fish, and more is your idea of the high life, then discover your dream of being your own boss by explore the greatest home based businesses for pet lovers. There are a huge number of options out there if you like working with animals, and checking out the best home based businesses for pet lovers can help you discover a new way to build a living doing what you love.
  14. talfighel Silver Member

These are great ideas for online niches that you can sell affiliate programs for.
  15. wealthbuilders New Member

Yes look at affiliate products and start a blog focusing on that niche!
  16. andie926 New Member

Hi I'm Andrea. I worked at an animal hospital for many years and am also a pet lover. I just started affiliate marketing for clickbank products and there are a lot of digital pet products on clickbank that you can promote for free and get upto 75% commission. You just need to sign up for a clickbank account and use your affiliate id in your links when referring sales. Since it is your passion it wouldn't be hard to promote the products through a website or blog. Pet sitting is also a great idea. I make extra money by petsitting. There are plenty of free sites where you can advertise for it like Usfreeads. Good luck!
  17. cjmo75 Guest

After getting laid off last May, I decided to give "dog walking" a shot. I made a flyer up and put it on the doors of about 200 houses in my town house complex. I actually got 9 calls, and of those, I took on 5 of them as clients. I still have 4 of them today. I walk the dogs for 2 hours each 5 days per week. 3 of them live close, so I can pick them all up at once and get those done in about 4 hours total. The other 1 is about a mile away, so I drive there after and take her out. She's a beautiful Samoyed and she's my fav. All total, the job takes 6-7 hours to get all 4 dogs walked 2 hours each.

I charge $10 per day per dog. So, I make $200 a week spending time with man's best friend. I love all the dogs, but one is a real pain (I stilll love him). This is something anyone can do and it's a really great service. 3 of my clients are elderly and just can't take care of the dogs like they want to, and so I'm a big help to them.

If you want to do this, all you need is 4-6 dogs. I make $5 per hour for each dog. I know I could probably charge more, but I'm also having fun and getting exercise while I make money.
  18. infomaniac New Member

I have a friend who has a pet sitting business, and it is thriving. She started out on her own, but now hires two casual staff who work part time hours most of the time, but whenever there is a holiday, they work overtime.
    She has a flat rate for up to 2 pets, then charges a fee per pet over and above the two. She also grooms pets, which many of her clients use with and seperate to the pet sitting and she walks dogs.
    We are in Australia, and it seems that people will spend unlimited amounts on thier pets, especially those who have them as substitute children.
    Huge market to target!
  19. talfighel Silver Member

I love dogs and have decided to sell other people's DOG TRAINING course through clickbank.

I have sold a few courses there and it is a whole lot of fun to help people who have dog problems and making commissions at the same time.

This is yet another way of earning an income. (Affiliate Programs).

Tal
  20. Radioheada New Member

hmmm, interesting, interesting

when you love dogs and animals, it is a pleasure to do something that involves your warm feelings plus gives you money

good luck, thanks for the ideas