How can you define Web 2.0 sites?what they are and why people use them

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by jessica236, Jun 23, 2012.

1. jessica236 New Member

Simple question that one have put to me about web 2.0 importance.

Why we use web 2.0 sites and what is the importance of them?
  2. Just2EZ Gold Member

In a word, Interactivity.
    Technically it is more complicated, involving compartmentalized software.
    Instead of static pages on the web it is now searchable user generated content.
    Blogs/forums, video sharing, social networks, etc. are all part of Web 2.0.
    The key is that it is Interactive allowing readers to be contributors and share.
    It is much more than just that but the main point is who controls the web.
    Web 3.0 will be even more interactive allowing machines to create content and interact.
    Think of Web 3.0 as the Matrix.
    yahia likes this.
  3. Sum Yung Ho New Member

Hi jessica,

Just2EZ is right on.

To that I would add that the "interactive" bit involves the ability to comment.

As Just2EZ pointed out, the content is dynamic (can and often does increase over time due to the interactivity).

Specific examples include Squidoo, YOUTUBE, and blogs.

Sum Yung Ho!
  4. KB24 Member

I would like to add that using web2.0 sites can rank well in the search engines if done correctly. Use these sites in conjunction with your main site (money page)..
  5. GMT New Member

I define web 2.0 as sites that are interactive/dynamic and use CSS. Ajax in particular is great.
  6. gowriter Member

Web 2.0 sites are interactive sites. These include Squidoo and blogs per se. In the early days of the internet, web 1.0, websites were static. That was it. The way you communicated was through newsgroups. Today we call them forums.

Then blogs got to be hot in the early 2000s. So people started interacting. This became web 2.0. Social media has taken web 2.0 to a whole new level. Some people alled it Web 3.0 in the beginning. Now, it's just...social media.
  7. jamess New Member

Easy to handle, provide great variety of information, ability to search information that have appeared recently.. these are benefits as i think.
  8. crisstar Member

Web 2.0 sites like Squidoo, Hubpages, Tumblr, etc rank high in Google, although Squidoo and Hubpages have been slapped around by Google in the past :cry: . So, you could put keyword optimized articles on them and they would reasonably rank in Google, (sometimes the first page), a lot faster than if you put that same content on your blog. So in a sense you're getting traffic a lot faster.

The second thing about Web 2.0 sites are the backlinks. Now they may not be the "holy Grail" like they used to be several years back, but they do count for link variety and some sites are do-follow. If you don't know any of the terms I listed here just Google it.

Because of all the updates, I don't put a lot of heavy stock or effort into web 2.0 sites like I used to. Many of these sites frown upon affiliate marketing / network marketing and in turn can lock you out of your own content that you created and/or won't make your site indexed by Google. This can be a complete waste of time and is the reason why I put 98% of my effort on the sites I control - my blogs.
  9. realworldmyth New Member

Like everyone else said, web 2.0 properties are generally FREE and you can use them for lots of things. As Crisstar said, Google tends to trust web 2.0 properties more than a new domain (because they have been around longer and have thousands or millions of pages) and thus you will rank higher, quicker.

An example is blogger. Google owns blogger. So if you use SEO on blogger, it will generally rank higher because Google trusts its own domains, right?
  10. Web 2.0 are sites that you can interact with other users like Wordpress, Squidoo, Hubpages, Tumblr. People simply use these sites to create good back links. Forum is another sample of web 2.0 as it is an interactive site where in you need to communicate with other forum members.

Christian