How can you get a website to appear higher in search engine listings?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by CarbonMonoxide, Nov 29, 2009.

1. CarbonMonoxide New Member

Hi there. Im a newbie to this forum. I was wondering what techniques can be used to get a website or blog to appear higher in search engine listings? I have been interested in making money online for a while now and I feel that if I was to create a website (complete with affiliate banners and links!) that it would be a good course of action. The major problem with websites of course, is that it can be difficult to drive traffic to your website which is why I want to tap into the expertise on this forum.

Thanks
  2. paulms New Member

Hi CarbonMonoxide, you'll want to check the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) section o fthe forum.
  3. pcwork New Member

Getting relevant backlinks helps
  4. yasser New Member

Articles + backlinks + Social bookmarking + Onsite seo
  5. mountainmom5 Gold Member

CarbonMonoxide: The major problem with websites of course, is that it can be difficult to drive traffic to your website which is why I want to tap into the expertise on this forum.
    Great advice has already been given.... It will be a lifelong journey - that I can assure you - but one , that if you stay on course, can pay off in the end![IMG]
  6. VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I have been using Traffic Bug, which has helped tons!
    What a time-saver it has been.

I think they are still offering a free trial.

And, write content, helpful, genuine, unique content until you cannot write any longer.[IMG]

Victoria
  7. revenue4u New Member

There is no short answer to that question. Everyone with a website is trying to get to page 1 and has a different answer and most of the answers are correct. Explore Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing topics and you will find some of the answers you seek. To use a political phrase from the recent past, it is a long hard slog. Perserverence and determination will get you there but be prepared for a long journey.
  8. Jim Gillum New Member

I have a blog about six weeks old....

Write my own content.......

Post once a week and have been on forums about two weeks.

I am on page two of Google and have not really done any promotion. Been kind of busy working on two new sites.

I would like to think that my original relevant content may be helping....
  9. damodar New Member

Submit site to directories.
    Write articles on your blog and submit them to article directories.
  10. Jean LA New Member

yasser: Articles + backlinks + Social bookmarking + Onsite seo
    These are great ways. You should start off with keyword research and use it to promote your site.

Lots of techniques on driving traffic at the SEO section.
  11. TishaBerg New Member

Keywords are really important. I write my own content and in the beginning I would just write as I normally would - forgetting to use my keywords. I started using the free WordTracker SEO tool (which opens a window right in your browser) so I couldn't help but be reminded to use my keywords! This has helped tremendously. Of course, now with your properly key-worded articles you have to submit to as many directories, social bookmarking, social networking sites and FeedReaders as possible (I've pretty much only submitted to Ezine articles, made HupPages and Squidoo Lenses so far). I've only been at it for a couple of weeks and I'm on page 1 in Google, so I feel like I must be heading in the right direction! Good Luck and let me know how it goes. [IMG]
  12. JoelCowen New Member

Ranking higher can take some time but I would second the Traffic Bug submission. I have used it and it is phenomenal. I love how much time it has saved me.

To your freedom and success,

Joel
  13. elle14 New Member

A proper way of optimizing your blog/website by doing the SEO purposes. First you need to assured that you have done the right way in on page optimization. Then followed by keyword analysis, next is build your quality links with your targeted keyword. Then it will help you to improve your rankings. But it takes a lot of work and times. For more info you can search it in Google on how to improve your rankings. I know there are many informative information about it. Because this asked for so many times. And particiapting in forums can help you to understand it. [IMG]
  14. Andy3568 New Member

Finding out where you have been successful in the past helps. For instance, if you have other sites (articles, blogs, squidoo, etc.) many of those have statistics you can look at that include what keywords were used to drive traffic to that site. Use those words (if they apply) to your other sites.
  15. CarbonMonoxide New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it
  16. twnuck New Member

I have found it easier to get a blog or even a squidoo lens high in the search engines quicker than a website. What I've done is:

1. Research the keywords that my niche is wrapped around
    2. Pick keywords that are searched less than 10,000 times per month
    3. Create a blog or lens with that keyword in the title
    4. include articles in my blog or lens that are hyperlinked back to my main website.

By doing this I find it easier to rise to the top and then I can indirectly get traffic back to my website through my various blogs or lenses. I think the key is picking keywords that are not as competitive.

Todd
  17. aidgib New Member

I agree with all of the above! There are so many ways to drive traffic to your sites!

Video marketing, email marketing, social media marketing, my favourite is article marketing. Sooo many article directories to back link to your sites!

If you are using a blog then a wordpress ranks higher on search engines and is more cool in your viewers eyes.

Aidan Gibson [IMG]
  18. mywahmommy New Member

Writing Articles is the back bone to getting listed in the search engines.
  19. coolavtar New Member

Hard work, dedication and consistency are the basics of SEO if you don't have these qualities its better to hire someone then learning SEO
  20. timbonderud New Member

CarbonMonoxide
    There are alot of free methods you can you to drive traffic, one sort of method is article marketing, brings wonderful niche driven traffic. Make sure you get proper training though on article marketing, and this will be a great difference for you. Take Care.