How did you get started?

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by mclaug43, Sep 1, 2008.

1. mclaug43

mclaug43 New Member

Okay, I'm a dad...but there's a mom involved here...so I hope it's okay to post this here! We just wanted to know how everybody got started?

We can't afford to invest anything right now, so we've been doing some of the free GPT or PTC sites. They are working fairly well right now. I'm really happy with the extra income we've brought in so far, but I wanted to get some advice from some other moms and dads who may have started out part-time and have worked their way to a full-time work at home gig!

evegreen55 likes this.
  2. johntanyishin

johntanyishin New Member

Probably, you would want to consider starting your own website?

Or maybe start out with a blog first. What do you like to do during your free time? List down all possibilities.

You can earn money by blogging, and doing affiliate marketing.

JTYS

3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi mclaug43,

I've had a successful digital business presence on the web since 1998. I ran the company off the web the year before that.

I started updating my online marketing knowledge and skills early last year and have been putting in 60 or more hours of self study every week since. It takes a good six months or more just to learn the basics but only if you put in several hours each week.

Hard work and long term goals are the only things that work if you'd like a lasting and successful business with an income that you can live comfortably upon.

I suggest you spend a few days reading some of our forum threads. That way you will understand what is out there and what you might enjoy.

After that, feel free to ask a few questions.

~Newbie Shield~

4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Welcome mclaug43,
    I am one of the Moms on here.[​IMG]

And yes, it takes some time to get things built up online but oh, so worth it to have the hope it gives us to be building something that will last and be passed on to our kids...We are not full time yet but we will get there!

I wish you much success!
    Viola

5. sparquel

sparquel New Member

mclaug43: Okay, I'm a dad...but there's a mom involved here...so I hope it's okay to post this here! We just wanted to know how everybody got started?

Hello mclaug43,

I got started as a Virtual Assistant by classic means ... lol. I simply went to a trusted, prominent & successful webmaster and CEO (my current boss) and mildly mentioned my skills/qualifications, then just asked if there were any odd projects/assignments that I could assist with. I made an impressive and confident approach and got the job. [​IMG]

So, it's important to not just know your skills/qualifications, but present them confidently. Employers will not always look for you, but you have to feel comfortable seeking them out as well. In doing so, you just might land a job too!

I hope this advice is helpful. [​IMG]

6. 4u2nv

4u2nv New Member

I quit my job last year to stay home with my kids. Financially it was a big mistake but the best thing I've ever done. I started researching for jobs online and ways to make money from home. I started with Liveops but were not getting many calls. Then I looked into Arise and incoprorated my own business. I now contract my business services through Arise and work for one of the best clients.

So that's my story about how I started my own business and what I do at home. I am also interested in affiliate marketing and just started on an excellent program for beginners like me that takes you step by step on how to make money from it. With affiliate marketing and the right program, you can make much more money than GPT sites. This forum is a great place to find the perfect program for you. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Kecia08

Kecia08 New Member

I started out with a blog in June 2007. Once I got it up and running with some good content and traffic, I started doing sponsored blogging for places like PayPerPost.com and PayU2Blog.com. I also started doing freelance writing...mostly writing 400-600 word articles for others, but I have also done some sales pages, ebooks, and blog posts. There are MANY people out there that need things written for them because they feel they don't have good English or just don't have the time!

As of March 2008, I quit my full time, outside the home job at the telephone company to do my online writing full time. It doesn't bring in $1000's like all those so-called "opportunities" promise you will make, but I do have a steady income that supplements my husband's!

8. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Kecia08: I also started doing freelance writing...mostly writing 400-600 word articles for others,

Kecia,
    If you don't mind me asking, what is a fair price to offer/ask for that type of project?

Thanks,
    Angie

9. happywife

happywife Gold Member

mclaug43: We just wanted to know how everybody got started?

I started with no knowledge or direction at all. I was just looking for a way to make some 'extra' money for personal spending in my spare time.

I joined SBI and learned how to build websites for affiliate marketing, etc. It is turning out to be a handy little 'business' that I predict (Lord willing) will be our full time income and retirement. [​IMG]

Blessings to you both,
    Angie

10. westfam11

westfam11 Member

mclaug43: We just wanted to know how everybody got started?

When I started I joined different programs and tried lots of things, all at the same time! That was definitely a mistake. I have since learned that I need to concentrate on one business, opportunity at a time and when I get a system and understanding and start profiting then and only then do I ad something new or extra.

I am a firm believer in multiple stream of income but one at a time.

So I would just take your time, look around the forum, click some signatures, ask some questions. Everyone is very helpful on this forum.

Becky

11. Kecia08

Kecia08 New Member

happywife:
    Kecia08:
    I also started doing freelance writing...mostly writing 400-600 word articles for others,

Kecia,
    If you don't mind me asking, what is a fair price to offer/ask for that type of project?

Thanks,
    Angie

Starting out, you will only make about $0.01 per word ($4-$6), but as you build your portfolio, you can start to charge more. On the job bidding sites, it is sometimes hard to get what you feel you are worth, because there are people in other countries who will write 500 words for $1, whereas I wouldn't want to do it for less than $5.

However, there are some people who will only work with native English speakers, and will pay more for high quality.

12. adelaida17

adelaida17 New Member

Hi, I typed in "how to become rich ?" on ask.com and came across this marketing company that has everything ready for newbies - website, call center, business coaches, cool product. I am a stay at home mom and completely new to online marketing but I love it and I like to learn new things every day. It is true when they say stay in this business a year and you will be amazed how much you learn throughout all this time!
    I am still learning...
    Good luck!!!

13. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Kecia08: Starting out, you will only make about $0.01 per word ($4-$6), but as you build your portfolio, you can start to charge more. On the job bidding sites, it is sometimes hard to get what you feel you are worth, because there are people in other countries who will write 500 words for $1, whereas I wouldn't want to do it for less than $5.

However, there are some people who will only work with native English speakers, and will pay more for high quality.

Thanks Kecia. I appreciate your input. I've been considering paying someone to write a few articles for my chocolate site, but I had no idea how much would be 'fair' to offer. I have to keep it low enough to make it worth my while to pay rather than do it myself, but I don't want to insult them either. [​IMG]

Thanks again.

14. mellin

mellin Member

I dabbled on the internet for more than a year. I put a lotof money into opportunities that either didn't end up being what I thought they were, or they didn't provide adequate training for me. I tried to enter into internet marketing, but found that I got nowhere fast with free classified ads and that blogging was too time consuming for the little traffic that I got. I finally found an opportunity that was a perfect fit. It's voice broadcasting and right now it seems to be a tool that's in big demand. To be honest, we couldn't afford the investment either. But, one week-end I juggled our bills to pay for this investment. I knew that in the end it would pay off. I'm 3 weeks into it and well on my way. I've already made more money with this than with all the others that I tried in the past year. I'm told too, that the best is yet to come!

Good luck to you!

15. sparquel

sparquel New Member

Kecia08: I also started doing freelance writing...mostly writing 400-600 word articles for others, but I have also done some sales pages, ebooks, and blog posts.

Hey Kecia,

Have you done any article re-writes? I've not written any authentic articles for pay, but I have been paid nicely for a series of article re-writes that I completed.

I used to write inspirational poetry, but have not written any poems in quite a while. I know it's a gift of mine that I should be pursuing. I'm sure I will resume my poems in His good timing. [​IMG]

16. mclaug43

mclaug43 New Member

Hey everybody! Thanks for the replies. I'm checking all your signature links to get an idea of what's out there [​IMG] So far I'm still very hesitant to put any money down to get into a program, but maybe once I get some money from my GPT sites, I might take the risk!

17. utopiagirl

utopiagirl New Member

Hi. I've been at home, full time, since May '07. The first opportunity I got involved with was a "high ticket" item. That was a little difficult. I decided to go with something a little more reasonably priced...still difficult. In June '08 I found an opportunity that has worked pretty good for me thus far. I'm finally making some consistent income and am really enjoying this one. Hopefully you will find a good fit for you and your family.
    Have a fab day,

18. myseogal

myseogal New Member

I was an insurance agent in 1998 for Nationwide insurance. Then I got into the realetate business in 2002 and was able to quit my job at Nationwide and stay at home with my DD. So I ran a successful realestate business and insurance business at home but got bored quickly with the insurance part of it but stayed with the realestate business and took my earnings from that to start selling items on ebay in 2004.

Ebay is really who I credit for my success. If it wasn't for a seminar that I attended in 2004, I probably just would have thought it was a scam or something. But I started making so much money that I was able to get my own products designed and started importing items in 2005.
    Importing became to expensive so I taught myself how to sew and started my own brand of pet clothing and got a website going.

By doing that, I was able to sell my products to boutiques all around the world.

Since I owned a website, I started to notice how my SEO efforts were really starting to pay off and that I was spending more time finding out new ways to increase my traffic.

I actually loved searching for new keyword etc. So I decided to share the wealth with other website owners specifically the wahm's and wahd's.

So now I help out small businesses from all around the world with their internet seo goals.

So I guess my advice is to definitely make sure you are doing something that you really love.

Start with a hobby or something that always got you excited when you saw an ad about it on tv.

If you do something that you are really passionate about, you will find that the rewards just start pouring in and don't forget to give back.

If you have some ideas about your niche, let your customers know some tips that have worked for you or products that may help them out.

Just my little two cents tonight. Off to bed now because my newborn will be doing her usual every two hour wake up call for me.

Love to chat with you guys later!

19. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I began with eBay in 2001 where I have 2 stores.

In 2007, I started to move beyond, and purchased "miracle' software for Adwords (advertising affiliate products) that never worked.
    I did not let that stop me, and ran many, many experiments.

So, after losing money with Adwords, by following outdated advice, I joined Wealthy Affiliate University and made the money back quickly.

I have also learned a lot from The Thirty Day Challenge.

So, I create websites, blogs, Squidoo Lenses, Hub Pages, Wordpress, Classifieds, basically just publishing content with affiliate links embedded.

I believe research is the most important part.

I hope this helps[​IMG]
    Victoria

20. Nevaeh1402

Nevaeh1402 New Member

PLease tell me how you did this to get into this program or started. My husband and I are so much interested in starting a home business but we HAVE NO CLUE how to even get started.