How did YOU make your sales?

Discussion in 'Coastal Vacations' started by Judy, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Judy

Judy New Member

I'm sure many of us newer folks are curious to find out just where the sales are coming from. I'm not talking about age groups or geographic areas but rather PPC, print ads, free ads on the web, etc.
    I would love if you seasoned directors would post say for the last three months. You don't have to say how many you have made but simply 25% came from directors under me, 25% came from posting in the neighbourhood etc.
    This would help me and I'm sure others determine where to spend our advertising dollars.
    Thanks so much in advance for any insight you could impart.
  2. CoastalToday

CoastalToday New Member

The last 3 months:

66% from the Coastal Closers - all leads were "personal referrals" meaning that I generated them myself and developed a relationship of trust before asking a Closer to secure the sale. All of them were incentivized as well, meaning I offered a bonus to each for joining my downline in the Closers.

33% closed myself, again self-generated leads.

As I mentioned in another post, I have stepped back from Coastal, so these percentages don't really reflect any activity in the past 2 months.

HTH

Tonya Kopp
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
    [Link removed - Admin]
  3. CoastalToday

CoastalToday New Member

Ooops,

That would be 66% and 34% [​IMG]..

Tonya Kopp
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
    [Link removed - Admin]
  4. asebf

asebf New Member

None of my business Coastal Today, but may I ask the total number of sales - and how they were divided i.e. Level 1-2-3?

Also I think Judy is asking the "source" of your business etc. - Quoting: Judybut rather PPC, print ads, free ads on the web, etc.
    I would love if you seasoned directors would post say for the last three months.

Without the actual number of sales (and Judy did say that was not important) the answer is pretty much of little use - without more details.

Everyone on here is searching for answers - and they are hard to come by.
  5. CoastalToday

CoastalToday New Member

You are correct asebf, it is not your business about the specifics, but I will clarify the following:

All personal leads for the sales I closed myself- procured through forums, Web 2.0 and calls/emails made to me by people who found me online.

The Closers sales were made primarily through online contacts and/or offline methods from materials that I created.

I spoke with ALL of my new downline members personally.

NONE of the sales were PPC, free ads or purchased leads.

Which, IMHO, addresses the issue of lead quality. Yes, buying leads can result in sales (and I bought leads for every new member from the best source I have found).

BUT if one learns how to generate a lead via other methods, then they are usually the more profitable source.

Tonya Kopp
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
    [Link removed - Admin]
  6. Judy

Judy New Member

Thanks for sharing Tonya. When you say Web 2.0 do you mean Youtube videos or videos that were shown on a site -is Web 2.0 advertising something that costs you money?
    So on average what percentage of your commissions made were spent on operating costs (websites, advertising) -if you don't mind sharing again.

Judy
  7. asebf

asebf New Member

Quoting: CoastalTodayYou are correct asebf, it is not your business about the specifics,
    OK - how about just general info? Forget levels - how about just the number of sales?

3-5? 6-9? 10-13? More than 13 in 3 months?

Also - can you explain what Coastal Closers is? Is that the Call Center?
  8. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

Hey, Bob,
    Coastal Closers is a group that uses people in their homes to close sales. I think you can give them leads to call but definately not the call center where we direct prospects to call the toll free number.
  9. CoastalToday

CoastalToday New Member

Hi Bob,

For the period we are talking - which was just slightly over 30 days since I have not been taking any new members for nearly two months now - the number of sales were in the 3-5 range.

Harold is correct, the Coastal Closers are not WeCloseYourSales. And yes, they do accept leads, though as I said above this really isn't the best method for any of us in Coastal to use.

However, some of the other methods I choose could probably work quite well for those of you in WeCloseYourSales, and I will outline one of the offline techniques. I made mention of it briefly once before, but it was a long time ago...

Harold actually tried something similar when he put out his flyers. I use doorhangers that I design and print off, along with multi-tab tear off ads. I distribute the doorhangers in communities in my area and the flyers in grocery stores, laundry mats, college campuses, etc.

My personal ratio is around 5 calls per 100 doorhangers and I have had 3 calls from the flyers I have used, but I don't know how many of the tabs were pulled. Two of the calls ending up buying, though one was in a previous time frame than the one we are discussing.

If I recall, Maria Porter stated that she never had any luck with flyers. That's probably true, so I will give my theory on why it has worked for me.

1. Though Boise proper (where I live) is very metropolitan, the outlying neighborhoods are quite rural. People here still actively communicate jobs on grocery boards, etc. so I'm using a method that is familiar and trusted. Someone who lives in New York may find it doesn't work.

2. Without bragging, I have strong abilities in design. The materials I create appear professional and costly and don't make people think "fly by night". This itself creates enough belief to possibly generate a call by someone who is interested.

3. All of the items have my phone number, not the Closers. I know this flies in the face of what a Call Center is supposed to do, but it has made the difference. I take the calls and create a relationship with people who are truly interested. Then, at the appropriate time I will ask one of the Closers to complete the deal if the person wishes to join under the Closers and not just me.

So, in a nutshell, that is one of the methods that has worked for me. Except for retail sales, other leads were mainly online. In answer to Judy's question, what I mean by Web 2.0 is anything that puts my name and number out into Cyberspace where people can find me: Forums, Videos, Articles, MySpace etc. This is the best way to become known, IMHO, because even though I'm not recruiting right now, I still get calls from people who found me because of something I did months ago. This is why Jay and Adam post so frequently, they know how search engines work and realize the power that this and other forums have...

Good grief, I'm long winded - sorry!

Tonya Kopp
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
    [Link removed - Admin]
  10. asebf

asebf New Member

Tonya - thanks - that helps a lot.
  11. asebf

asebf New Member

Quoting: CoastalTodayThis is why Jay and Adam post so frequently, they know how search engines work and realize the power that this and other forums have...
    Ahhh that explains a lot - I just now got the mental connect. Posting in various forums etc. and the engines find the posts etc. I guess I am just not as sharp at figuring things out as I thought I was [​IMG]
  12. rhondap

rhondap New Member

Quoting: CoastalTodayGood grief, I'm long winded - sorry!

[​IMG] No you weren't that was VERY good thanks for being so detailed and sharing.
  13. CoastalToday

CoastalToday New Member

To answer Judy's other question:

I am a bit different than others in Coastal in that I use Homestead to build and host my sites. It works well for me because I pay one fee each month and host 4 separate sites with it, including my training area.

I like it because of the flexibility it gives me: I can create unlimited sites and pay only for what I need. It costs me $50 per month but only because my training site uses nearly 500 MB of space because of the audio/videos that I hold there.

Others who want complete control over the scripting on their sites probably wouldn't like Homestead, though, as it is limited in that capacity.

Beyond that, I have ten or so different domain names that cost me $14 per year each.

The online promotion that I do is basically free and other advertising (print, etc) entails the cost of the ink and paper. Because I do some myself and some via MinuteMan Press my costs vary.

My most costly ventures were usually for retailing B2B. When you're marketing to business owners, your materials must be professional. So even though I design my own brochures and such, the printing did get to be expensive. It's worth it, though, in the long run.

Tonya Kopp
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
    [Link removed - Admin]
  14. victorious

victorious New Member

I would say 90% of our sales come from Search Engine Marketing, be it SEO or PPC. We are the #3 Coastal Vacations page on Google and get a lot of traffic from that.

Search engine marketing has definitely worked for us. We also use ContactTalk to send voice shots and keep our list updated with news and interesting information; and that builds trust in you from your list; and when they are ready to buy, they will call.

Matt & Catherine Willis
    Successful Level 3 Directors
    770-995-0029
  15. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

This is a good informative thread - thanks everyone!Where is the best place to learn about seo??

[​IMG]
    Viola
  16. Judy

Judy New Member

Hi Harold, Rhonda and Viola,
    Could you share with us your percentages of sales and where they come from -it could even be the last 6 months. Rhonda I noticed you have moved from the COA to the DFI and was wondering if that was making a difference in your exposure/sales and what was it that moved you to move. Do you still use the official system as well?

Happy posting everyone and keep those ideas and info coming.
    Thanks.
  17. rhondap

rhondap New Member

I use the Official system for training, love their product training and B2B training.

I am a Dani Johnson student and prefer DFI because of that.