How do I find my profitable niche market?

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by gilmore, Sep 9, 2010.

1. gilmore

gilmore New Member

Hi all.

I am new to the internet marketing field and am still in the research stages.

My understanding so far for a long term working model;
    find a profitable niche market.
    do keyword research (for the correct content and optimization)
    find content on this niche market.
    start a blog or website with niche market content.
    find products for this market, and have link to affiliate sites to sell these products.
    get traffic.

My plan is to take this model step by step and to learn each step as I go along.

My questions;
    Am I on the right tract? Where should I expand or change?
    I have been sitting now for nearly 2 week, day and night, to find my profitable niche market (in the travel field), with no success so far. I mainly use Googles free keyword tool. But I need help and advise please. How do I find my niche? How exactly do one determine a niche. What criteria are used to identify a niche?

My main interest in live is travel and spiritual issues.

Please help!!!
  2. FLP_Mom

FLP_Mom New Member

i would strongly recommend that you take a look at the project called 30 days challange by Ed dale and his team.
    This would give you a huge jump start as well as show you tools and techniques used for this matter.

let us know how it goes

Good luck and dont forget to enjoy the process.
  3. danman

danman New Member

Gilmore,

It's very competitive out there to say the least. I think you're on the right track in using Google's Keyword tool.

I would make sure my long tail keyword has over 2,000 search results ( so you know there is a market/interest in it).

But then I would go to google and in the search field, enter your keyword with quotation marks around them. This should tell you how competitive this keyword is. I would hope my competition results would be less than 60,000 (this would tell me that I could at least compete in this keyword market).

Hope this helps.
    -Dan
  4. martyinmaui

martyinmaui New Member

I agree that identifying long tail keywords will be beneficial because the market you've selected is packed with really heavy hitters with big budgets. Depending on your area of interest in the travel industry, you may find more opportunities with higher earning potential by focusing on a specific regional market.

Good luck!
    Marty
  5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I would change it up a little....

1) you know what you are passionate about
    2) set up a blog or Squidoo lens and start writing about it
    3) GET TRAFFIC!
    4) Get more traffic!!
    5) NOW find products and affiliate links to add to your sites.
    [​IMG]

If you set up a blog or Squidoo lens WITHOUT all the affiliate links it will get traffic more quickly and once it is indexed you can add links.

Which is only sensible - without any traffic, it is futile to be adding links anyways.

Make sense?

SBI and OWM will both teach you that principle in their own way.
  6. kristen627

kristen627 New Member

I would reccomend doing an MSN query for the niche(s) you're considering to see if it has commercial intention.

http://adlab.msn.com/Online-Commercial-Intention/

This tool can help you make the decision if you're considering a few different niches.
  7. mreese601

mreese601 Member

Sound like you did your research. Yes you on the correct track.
  8. JackieM293

JackieM293 Member

As part of my learning process I have read the ebook Profit Pulling Blogs by Jessie McCloud.

One piece of his advice really stuck with me. Whether you are considering a blog or a broader affiliate programme I think this is very relevant when considering your niche;

"design your empire with you in mind....you will be the editor, the designer, and the main focus of the site. Your expertise, your hobby, or your insight will provide the service.."

What's your unique take on the travel / spiritual sectors? These are huge themes, can you drill down to uncover your real passion? A good question to ask is why. For example:

I am interested in travel.
    Why?
    Because I like to see the world.
    Why?
    Because I am really interested in different cultures?
    Why?
    I'm fascinated by the different foods across the world?

You get the gist.

I'm also wondering if you could combine your two themes?

Hope that helps
  9. Margo Tuul

Margo Tuul New Member

wrong, wrong wrong...

Forget about passion and everyday life here. You are here to make money. One thing only. MAKE MONEY! Im passionate about tattoos, but i would never ever promote, sell or do anything online with tattoo designs. People don't want to buy them. They want them for free. That's why they search them online. This is market research.

Market/niche research ABC

1. Google ads - Look is there any Google Ads. This shows, that niche is profitable. If there isn't, check average CPC (cost per click). You can see that in Google keyword tool. If number is high, then you are on right track. If low. Move on, niche isn't worth it.

2. Forums - Check members count, popular posts, last post date, also sticky posts. If forums are lazy and not active, members count is low...then move on. Niche isn't worth it.

3. Once you have found hot niche, then take notes what your market wants. What they talk about in forums. What confuses them. Write down most common problems. This is how you create your content later. You find solutions to their problems.
    If you skip this, you WILL fail. You need to know exactly what your market wants.

To finish this, i can say that much...that internet marketing has nothing to do with passion. If you are passionate about making candles, then should you write about how to make candles? If you really think you can make money out of it...then think again.

My advice....promote, sell what people want. Not what you want or like. If you want to promote your ideas, without searching around...you will fail.
  10. JackieM293

JackieM293 Member

Really like you process Margo and I also believe that sound market research is fundamental to finding your niche.

This was not explicit in my previous post as I felt it had been highlighted with lots of great tips by other forum users.

By suggesting a process for identifying your personal niche (as opposed to a market niche) I was hoping to bring a new perspective to this area.

I believe that salespeople are more effective when they have truly bought into or are genuinely interested in their product. I also believe that being successful requires genuine hard work.

How wonderful to be able to work day in day out within an area or with products that you a personally interested in. In my mind it makes work more enjoyable as well as helping one keep motivated.

That said, in no way would I suggest setting up without first identifying a very real opportunity. For me the ultimate is to find a niche that offers market opportunity within an area that you are "passionate" about.
  11. tadpole88

tadpole88 New Member

Margo Tuul

I am very new to this and would like to know what the first step would be in getting starting in marketing something online;

Is it finding a niche?

Is it finding a domain?

Or what?
  12. houseofelijah

houseofelijah New Member

Having a good business coach is a lot of help. Someone that has been their and done it ! I have one and she is pretty awesome. But I am just starting out too.[​IMG]
  13. stellaandreapar

stellaandreapar New Member

You can also check in the search engines how much people are searching for a particular product. Monthly search volumes, local and global, can help you determine how many are searching for it. Google has free tools to help you with this data.

Also, you can visit my site for free resources and tools for your business.