How Do You Guys Overcome Procrastination?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by UltimateWingman, Aug 28, 2014.

1. UltimateWingman

UltimateWingman New Member

From time to time I start to slack off a bit on my projects. :confused:

I've posted in various forums about this question

I just wanted to know from this community, how do you guys overcome procrastination?

payment proof likes this.
  2. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Coffee. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I keep a To Do list of sorts and sent goals for myself.

For example, today I'll get A, B, and C done.
    Tomorrow it will be D,E, F, and G.

Meeting goals gives me a sense of accomplishment and that helps keep me motivated.

I also think about the reasons I'm doing it: The ability to be at home, and I'm doing all of this for my family.

But back to Coffee: That really can help on a low energy day lol.

WorkAtHome_Pam and Bert Declercq like this.
  3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Uh, I don't?
    At least I'm a pro at something!

4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

I suspect that procrastination is a tendency most people fall victim to more often than they'd like to admit. For others it's a routine behavior. The only effective way to overcome this non-productive habit is to replace it with a productive habit.

Two things influence my actions:

1. The desire to avoid any negative fallout and stress that may occur
    2. The desire to enjoy the sense of satisfaction from accomplishment​

Those push and pull forces seem to work for me... most of the time. :)

Hermas

5. UltimateWingman

hahah! Its just to EZ right?

Just2EZ likes this.
  6. UltimateWingman

Thanks for the advice! :)

I'll do my best to annihilate this poor habit!

7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

haha!!

I think most entrepreneurs are pros at procrastinating because they have so many things they want to do and try... or at least that's how I am. I will set out to accomplish something and then something else grabs my attention which reminds me that I forgot to finish another task I started the other day, and so the vicious cycle continues. :eek:

8. UltimateWingman

lol I believe its called shiny object syndrome. Its very common with entrepreneurs haha. I've got to admit I have caught this sickness a number of times haha

9. Inquirer17

Inquirer17 New Member

I think the best way to overcome procrastination is to have an action plan ahead of time. I learned this from Napoleon Hill's book "Think and Grow Rich."
    You take some time the night before to write down the six most important tasks you can do to move your business forward and you prioritize them in order of importance. Then, the next day it's just a matter of going through your list and start working on the first and most important task. When you finish that task you work on the next one and then the next one and so on until you're done with your list. Chances are you may not go through your whole list in one day but it is important to have that list to keep you on track.
    One more thing that is VERY important is to schedule your inbox. Have a specific time to check your email and ONLY check it at that time. Go through all your emails and decide what you will do with each one of them: Delete, reply, or mark for later action. Once you've done that, don't go back to your inbox until the next day. By the way, do the same thing for your social networks. Schedule them otherwise they will manage you rather that you managing them.

10. UltimateWingman

Great book!

Personally one of my favorite reads!

Thanks for the response and definitely thanks for reminding what Napoleon Hill teaches! I need to look back and skim for that part of the book :D

Just2EZ likes this.
  11. triciab

triciab New Member

Procrastination can sometimes rule my entire existence. I think every human being procrastinate at some point IN THERE DAY. For me, I do it a lot and it does nothing but causes a back up in my life. I really have come to understand that it is something I won't be able to get rid of, but I can at least make an assertive effort to do better. SO I make a priority list, and I make sure that the most important deeds be put at the top of the list, while the not so important deeds are at the bottom. (I guess that is a sneaky, more excusable, yet organizable way to procrastinate:ROFLMAO:)

12. promotion

promotion New Member

Hi everyone! I am new here and found this thread on procrastination. I am a master at procrastination. Started a website about two months ago and have managed to create 10 posts! Can't seem to bring myself to write, and can#t think of things to write. The niche is Internet Marketing and I am just not passionate about it. Really think I must be in the wrong niche. So I procrastinate big time!

13. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

You need to find something you enjoy doing where motivation is at least as enjoyable as procrastination. ;)

14. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Jason,

You can overcome this by writing what you will do the next day that will move your business in the right direction.

Never get up in the morning and start thinking what tasks you need to accomplish. Write things down right before you go to sleep.

15. Marvelous Mar

Marvelous Mar New Member

It's a pattern that you will need to break. Working with affirmations is a powerful tool.
    Say 'Do it Now' 25 times out loud with enthusiasme and do that twice a day....your subconscious will start to respond to it.
    If you are aware it is your subby taking ALL your decisions, you will realize that those decisions will start to change....end of procrastination.

16. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Procrastination is a human trait most have, and it is not easy to motivate people into acting, and this is why we see so many incentives which are designed to get a prospect to act. I have used incentives to close sales for years, and it works, as everyone wants something for free, or discount, two for one, buy one get second at half off, etc. People are all motivated by free offers, who could refuse something of value to act today? It has worked for thousands and this is why wherever you look, you see these incentives, during holiday, big incentive is free shipping as example. I know it works on me as I am a bargain hunter, never pay full price for anything. This is why many companies are now using the free distributorship or affiliate offers to bring a person into the educational web to better inform them of value of products company is selling. Not only that, you become your own best customer and in programs I focus on, you can purchase at wholesale from your own website, so this totally removes the aspect of procrastination. Love it, new marketing trend for sure.

Success Without Failure Is Impossible,

drknlvly6781 likes this.
  17. Eric Coons

Eric Coons New Member

Specific goal setting. I get a high when I achieve a goal. Whether it's 2000 words in my e-book or finishing off a killer blog post. I go to bed happy. I tend to beat my self up a bit if I spent the night goofing off or getting sidetracked.

18. Dereco Cherry

Dereco Cherry Member

I use the 2 minute rule. I wrote a blog post about it. Check it out. My blog is in my signature below.

19. Bert Declercq

Bert Declercq New Member

I think the most important thing that I learned about this topic is that you just have to be a little harder on yourself. There are so many distractions out there. Everytime you watch or do something, ask yourself this question, is this a 'MMA'? A Money Making Activity. If it's not, it's probably something that doesn't really matter and you shouldn't be doing.

There are a lot of ways people try to deal with procrastination but my like I just wrote here, my favorite that I keep telling myself is: 'Stop crying and do what you have to do, if you want to reach something in life you'll just have to do the things that matter and leave the stuff out that don't get you anywhere. PERIOD

Kind Regards,

Bert Declercq
    Young Motivated Entrepreneur

drknlvly6781 and payment proof like this.
  20. Bert Declercq

Bert Declercq New Member

I agree with you talfighel,

Setting goals is key in our industry. Only 3% of the world write out there goals daily and guess who those people are. The most wealthy people on the earth. Setting goals has a special thing to it, by writing them down you make them real in a way. You almost have to reach them now or else you failed to accomplish the goals you wrote down yourself.

One of the first video's I saw about this topic was a video from Bryan Tracy, if anybody is interested here is the link to that video.

It helped me tremendously when I was a youngster in the industry.

Kind Regards,

Bert Declercq
    Young Motivated Entrepreneur