How Do You Guys Overcome Procrastination?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by UltimateWingman, Aug 28, 2014.

1. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Agreed. And there are so many distractions in the home too.

Bert Declercq likes this.
  2. AnneSamantha

AnneSamantha New Member

To beat procrastination, do something towards your goal every day so that you stay motivated, be passionate about your goal, and let it be something you really love. congratulate yourself when you stick with things you know need doing. Make the goal ahead really important to you and visualize the outcome.

I have lots of motivational articles on our website if you care to read them.

Best wishes

Bert Declercq and payment proof like this.
  3. Sammy Preston

Sammy Preston New Member

There are quite a few good productivity programs out there. One was actually pitched fairly heavily this week and last few weeks... you may have received an email? I won't plug it here in case I get in trouble... but it is very good I must say

Bert Declercq likes this.
  4. SandraGJ

SandraGJ Member

Punch yourself every time you start procrastinating! But don't be afraid. Every human being has it in it's nature. Sometimes we're just too lazy to work and that's ok. When you notice you're starting to slack off, take some time for yourself, rest, and recharge your batteries. It's much more helpful then working something just for the sake of working.

payment proof likes this.
  5. JohnC

JohnC New Member

This is in my own experience, yours may vary.

Motivation is great, it gets you going. It gets you to do things that you wouldn't otherwise do and feel good about it. If you watch TV every night and then something motivates you to change you will do that something that gets you closer to your goals.

Unfortunately motivation is short term and doesn't last. Sooner or later habit will rob you of your motivation and you'll be back to watching TV or playing video games. The thought "I'll do it tomorrow" will be a common theme in your life.

So what's the secret to keep pushing to your goals and dreams?

You still need motivation, but since motivation is short term you also need a long term change. That long term change is raising your discipline skills. Yes skills. There are many skills you possess that can be trained like a muscle that you may have been lead to believe are granted only at birth. Discipline is one of those skills.

Again in my experience I get daily motivation by looking at my goals and daydreaming about them for a short time. This goes along with many of the books mentioned about setting goals and thinking about them. Essentially if you think you will be a failure, it's pretty much guaranteed that you will be a failure. Think you are a success (consistently think it) and you will be, it's just a question of when.

Now for discipline. This is a bit more difficult because the rewards are far off and difficult to see from your current position, but at the same time the rewards are much greater if you stick with it. There are many books out there on discipline and I'm sure you can find them yourself so I'll just summarize what I've learned. Discipline basically starts with self evaluation and facing your fears. Motivation can get you moving, but once your fears creep in you will be stopped, unless you are facing your fears. Now you will never be fearless unless you've had a head injury or taken some drugs, but you can continue to act despite your fears. You will notice that as you keep facing them they will be diminished.

I believe this is the first step to increasing your discipline. Start small. If you're an introvert or feel you don't have the people skills to be a business person (to be able to sell), then begin by talking to people about common subjects like the weather or work. Again there are many books on people skills.

You may start this process and succumb to your fears and stop. At this point you must remind yourself that this is okay and completely normal. This is basically a turning point because if you don't get up after falling you will fail, but if you get up and try again you will be on the path to achieving your goals. This is basically like learning to ride a bike. You will fall, just get up after and try again.

In my experience pairing daily short term motivation with facing my fears (discipline) I've been able to change from a shy introverted person to someone who feels energy and vitality speaking to others about anything.

I sure hope this helps and I'd love to share more :)

6. WorkAtHome_Pam

WorkAtHome_Pam New Member

Yeah for coffee! :cool:

7. WorkAtHome_Pam

WorkAtHome_Pam New Member

Well said John!

I wish I could say I never procrastinated, but I sometimes do! I can "justify and rationalize" the hell out of it at times because I seriously have no life! Lol The truth is, I do have a day job....I have a few companies I do SEO for....I also have my own sites than need attending, but sometimes I just want to look over the laptop at the TV. :(

Your advice was well received as I KNOW the TV should be turned off during my "work from home days" because I am an entrepreneur, a dreamer, and relentless above all other things!

.....thanks for the reminder! ;)

8. payment proof

9. Sam2476

Sam2476 New Member

+1 to Facebook being a distraction, too many hours of my life are spent on there rather than doing what I should be.

10. payment proof

Try to use Facebook as a Social Media Marketing tool. ;)

Sam2476 likes this.
  11. Sam2476

Sam2476 New Member

I just signed up to a new Facebook account to use for promotion. :)
    My other account is strictly personal and only has people I regularly talk to as friends.

12. Scott W

Scott W New Member

Tons of great advice in this thread...thanks to all that have posted!

Analysis paralysis is another "deadly" habit that is hard to break as well...

payment proof and Just2EZ like this.
  13. Scott W

Scott W New Member

But Bejeweled Blitz is so much fun!!!!