How do you know if Google has crawled your site?

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by wahl2008, Dec 16, 2008.

1. wahl2008 New Member

I'm a newb to the game.

How do you know if Google has crawled your site?

Is there a way to know when it has been crawled, ie. date?

Thanks for the help.
  2. matt7 New Member

You can go to google and type in yourwebsite.com. If it has been crawled it should show up first in the google results.

When it shows up in the google results, you will then see the link "Cached" next to your domain name. To see the last time that it was crawled click on the "Cached" link and you will see a date for the last time that Google crawled your page.
  3. wahl2008 New Member

Thanks for the info Matt!

Yeah, I guess it is as easy as that.

That answers some important questions [IMG]
  4. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Philip,

Matt's suggestion does work.

If you can't find it the way Matt offered, you can use the site command as follows (whereas you would substitute yoursite with your actual site address):

site:yoursite.com

It'll yield all indexed pages of your site. There are zero spaces before and after the colon.

You can compare and see if you get different results.

You can also add a backslash with a sub directory path so that only the sub directories of a directory will show as follows:

Suppose you want to see the football sub directories and all pages within those directories on a site that discusses all types of sports. Type in site:allsports.com/football/.

That'll give you just the stuff about football on the allsports.com site. It works nicely as a filter for avoiding stuff you don't want to see.

You can use it on your site or on any site ;)

~Newbie Shield~
  5. pcwork New Member

You can check your webstats
  6. freedom08 Guest

I think Alexa.com has stats for the entire net but they cost you. Google has a stats tool you can insert html into your site and see stats that way, also if your dot com is registered at godaddy.com then you can use there stats tool. lemmie know if this helps.
  7. wahl2008 New Member

Thanks for the helpful advice guys.

NS's suggestion was the easiest and quickest way.

I am very happy to say that Google crawled my site within 24 hours after I launched it. 80% of my pages were crawled within 2 days.

Is this usual or should I consider myself lucky? I've read some posts where people have been waiting months for a crawl.

Happy Holidays everyone!
  8. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Philip,

That's very quick and it seems you've done a great job.

You might share what you did to get indexed so quickly so that everyone can consider using your successful method to get their own site indexed quickly when the time comes.

Congrats,

~Newbie Shield~
  9. wahl2008 New Member

NS,

I wish that I new what I did!

I had my site with a free host and free domain on 110mb. The site hadn't been indexed since October, and I had a different, inactive version of the site up. I revamped the site with new everything about 3 weeks ago. Still no Google crawl.

I then bought the domain in my signature and purchase a hosting package. I launched the site on Dec 23rd and all of the snapshots in the cache are on Dec 23rd, 24th, and 25th. 11 of about 18 pages got indexed.

1 or 2 more pages are showing up every day, all with the dates from Dec 23-25. Merry Christmas, right?

I wish that I could give everyone some advice, but I'm not sure what I did, or even if I did anything.

Another surprise that I got today was that I am on the first page for keyword search "work at home legit" in Google. Granted, there are only about 6,000 searches a month, but the results are over 1.4 million. Maybe it can't be considered good luck, but I was tickled! It doesn't seem like such an unusual search, and my site has only been up for 7 days.

Let me know what you think.
  10. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Philip,

You chose an excellent phrase for your Home Page. I am confident that you'll get consistent traffic from it provided you remain on the first page of results.

You have a good working grasp of demand vs. competition.

You seem to know what you're doing. Just keep doing it and you'll do well.

~Newbie Shield~
  11. wahl2008 New Member

Thanks for the compliments NS!
  12. Dan_dare New Member

You can also use Google analytic for overview of your website.

This is a tool provided by Google, but I think it is paid.
  13. terraferma New Member

Google analytics is completely free and really good to use
  14. wahl2008 New Member

Thanks for the input Dan_dare and terraferma!
  15. jrlehman New Member

I like to use google analytics. Like mentioned above, it's free to use. It breaks down the different areas in which your traffic is coming to your site.
  16. usaffiliates New Member

I just put my sites into google and see if it comes up.
  17. wahl2008 New Member

jrlehman - I just signed up for Google Analytics! It looks like a great tool. Thanks!

usaffiliates - Hey Buddy, fix your signature or you'll miss out on all of the backlinks! Try this format.

-
    Your Site's Name

Cheers!