How do you Naturally approach a cold prospect?

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by arcee, May 24, 2015.

1. arcee

arcee New Member

Time will come that your warm market will get depleted so it's important that you fill in new leads. What's the best way to approach a cold prospect and introduce yourself without being salesy? Hope you can share your thoughts on this. :)

Judy Bonacci and Chris Garcia like this.
  2. payment proof

payment proof Well-Known Member

I think the most important thing is showing people how your product or service would benefit them. Tell them why they need it.

ScottCofer and Russell Toews like this.
  3. Russell Toews

Russell Toews Member

Don't approach them like they are a prospect at all because people will see it as that even if you don't immediately start trying to sell. Talk to them first as a helpful friend or as an interesting person to interact with. By the time you get around to promoting your product/service they will no longer be 'cold' to you. And what Payment Proof said too.

ScottCofer and payment proof like this.
  4. Amin

Amin New Member

The most important is to create an friendly relation between you and "your prospect".
    Most of time, my contacts become my friend before to become a good partner in my team ;-)

5. payment proof

payment proof Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with this Russell: "Don't approach them like they are a prospect."

Good words to live by no matter what niche you're in. Helping people goes a long way.

6. Dereco Cherry

Dereco Cherry Member

Approach them like they are people. Find some common ground and let the conversation flow naturally. Actually get to know them by listening to them. Just have a normal conversation and that will tell you if they are someone you would like to work with through their conversation.

You should never pitch a cold prospect on the spot. See if they have a need for what you are providing (through normal conversation) then you could collect their information for a follow up at a later date. Don't look at people like a dollar sign they will see right through it.

ScottCofer and payment proof like this.
  7. gordy05

gordy05 New Member

I use F.O.R.M method (From & Family, Occupation, Recreation & Message). I will focus if the cold prospect is qualified to see my product/service and opportunity.
    Be Interested, Not Interesting!

Then Practice, Practice... Practice and go do it.

8. Candicelllen

Candicelllen New Member

Hey Arcee, how you doing? I struggled with this and actually burnt out a lot of my warm market, I knew I wanted to have a online business that I could truly work from home. A lot of people didn't turn up to meetings so I wasted my time getting ready and going to the coffee shop.

What works for me the most is connecting with people interested in my product or service and making a connection starting a conversation. Not expecting a sale, just wanting to build a relationship.

It took a while for me to understand that concept as well,But if you work on building a relationship the time will come and you will know the right time to introduce your product or business opportunity.

I hope this helps :)

payment proof likes this.
  9. Brian Rooney

Brian Rooney New Member

Pitching to a "cold" prospect is usually a waste of time. Instead, get to know them. Build a rapport. Turn them in to a WARM prospect. Ask questions about them, their life, their family, etc... then show them how your product, service, or opportunity could provide a solution.

10. jeffreysloe

jeffreysloe Member

I agree! People love to talk about themselves. Ask questions and then listen! You'll always get an answer to what the prospect is looking for when you ask questions and then listen. Since we all love to talk more than we listen, we need to practice listening to others, I mean, REALLY listening.

Chris Garcia and Just2EZ like this.
  11. ScottCofer

ScottCofer Member

Ask question and listen, with the intention of simply getting to know some one new. Just be curious and ask lots of questions (Richard Brooke refers to this as curiosity-based prospecting) --- and really listen to the answers.

If you ask enough questions, your new contact will provide you with everything you need to know to move forward when the time is right.

12. Chris Garcia

Chris Garcia New Member

Only problem with the last part, is people don't like to be sold or convinced. An alternative approach is to ask questions that dig for their pain, and when they tell you what's going on in their life that you can help solve.. then it's their idea and you can offer the presentation.

ScottCofer likes this.
  13. Chris Garcia

Chris Garcia New Member

YES! The world is your warm market waiting to happen :)

14. Dean Fraser

Dean Fraser New Member

I think the best way to approach a cold prospect is to first understand that you are about to interrupt what they are doing to get their attention. Which means how you do this should be worth their time. Respect their time by understanding where they are with regards to their problem your service or product can solve, and interrupt them with something that provides value to them, mainly in some sort of entertaining way.

Don't try and sell them but like others in this thread have been saying, build a relationship with them. Once that's established you shouldn't need to sell them they will ask you to sell them.

hope this helps.

payment proof likes this.
  15. Ken_Cloutier

Ken_Cloutier New Member

Just be YOU!! Don't come across as salesy or weird, just be you. What I like to do when prospecting is look for what I call "free information." Compliment them or say something positive. It could be the nice shoes they are wearing, the car they are driving, the weather, etc. If you compliment them and use the information from your immediate surroundings, people will lower their walls and be open to communicating with you.

Who doesn't like to be complimented?
    Best of luck Arcee!!

Judy Bonacci and payment proof like this.
  16. Shounenbat

Shounenbat New Member

1. Be yourself, and be genuinely interested in them. By this, I don't mean to be a butt-kisser, hoping that flattery will get lower their defenses (it's likely to put them up instead), but rather be genuine with them.

2. Watch Tom Schreiter's presentation and learn the Ice Breakers. I know he has a book on this, too, but this video has been my personal recruiting lifesaver.

ScottCofer likes this.
  17. mupegasus

mupegasus New Member

I fully agreed with Brian Rooney, I just don;t really approach 'cold' prospect just like that. Bulding friendship is the only way to turn cold to warm prospect.

Judy Bonacci likes this.
  18. VicHugo

VicHugo New Member

I just have a everyday normal conversation and let them do most of the talking. Than do the break away strategy (meaning... I have other things to do and places to go...which is true..) and ask them if they would be open to be added to my newsletter where I share tips, strategies, case studies, webinars, blog posts, etc. where an individual can learn how to make extra money that will not get in the way of what they are doing now.

Note: I use the word "open" and never use "interested."

Than I follow up with them via social media and e-mail marketing.

Attraction marketing is really the way to go.

Judy Bonacci and payment proof like this.
  19. Judy Bonacci

Judy Bonacci New Member

When approaching a cold prospect about my opportunity, after introducing myself and a short conversation I just simply ask if they keep their options OPEN to making some extra money if it doesn't interfere with what they are currently doing? Or are they OPEN to a side project if it doesn't interfere with what they are currently doing?

By asking if they are OPEN it doesn't sound salesy!

20. Judy Bonacci

Judy Bonacci New Member

I use OPEN also Vic! Works great!