How Does Scribd Work ??

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by mountainmom5, Dec 9, 2009.

1. mountainmom5 Gold Member

I have read little bits and pieces about using Scribd.com so went to check it out but am kinda stuck... I can't figure out how to use it to drive traffic to my site as I can't upload any files with html.

Any tips? [IMG]
  2. mountainmom5 Gold Member

anybody? I guess it may not be a very popular method to use.
  3. getagrip Gold Member

I wish I could help you but it is not somethign I've used. Have you tried Googling for the answer? [IMG]
  4. A8ch Gold Member

Hi Viola,

Here's what I can tell you about Scribd.

Scribd is to publishing, what Google is to search and Ezine Articles is to article distribution. It's the premier place on the Web where just about any written work can be uploaded, read and shared. Any form of writing is accepted, from brochures, catalogues, how-to-guides, recipies, spreadsheets, dissertations and more.

There are many online communities formed around a variety of interests, similar to Google Groups, where doctors, musicians, teachers, authors, grant writers and so on, can engage each other on mutual topics.

The Scribd platform utilizes the iPaper document viewer which supports a wide range of file formats. Among the file types you can view are: .pdf, .doc, .docx, .xls, .ppt, .pps, .txt, .ps, odt, sxw, .odp, .sxi, .ods, .sxc, .rtf, .jpg. jpeg, .png, and .gif.

So, along with PDFs, most Microsoft Office documents (.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pps, .pptx,) Open Office documents (.odt, .sxw, .odp, .sxi, .ods, .sxc) and graphic files (.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png) can be uploaded and viewed in a Web browser.

The iPaper application also supports emailing, embedding, text search, copy and paste, zooming and includes security parameters that protect your content. Publishers can also display Google AdSense ads on their documents to make money.

Since iPaper was built with Adobe Flash, it requires that Flash cookies are enabled.

Uploading your HTML File

You may have to first convert your HTML file to PDF in order to upload it.

Options:

1. Do a search for free software that converts html files to .pdf
    2. Install a virtual printer on your computer and select it during the print function. This is basically a print-to-pdf program that converts the document to be "printed" into a PDF. (You may lose the hyperlinks in the converted document).
    3. Open Office and Microsoft Office 2007 have an "Export as PDF" option in the File menu that automatically saves the document in a .pdf format.

Hope this was useful! [IMG]

Hermas
  5. gowriter Member

Take a look at the people on Scribd that have the most number views and look at the type of tags that are added for the document. The more tags, the more likely your file will be found.
  6. FreeCashMan Active Member

7. A8ch Gold Member

The "ideal" way is usually a matter of personal preference, but since Scribd allows you to embed affiliate links in your content, you can ride their coattails and online presence to get exposure and page rank. It's similar in some respects to how you'd use a Squidoo lens.

Scribd also allows images, so a how-to article with illustrations can really impress a reader and increase click-throughs.

You also get the benefit of a report that identifies which keywords and phrases are generating traffic and shows exactly where that traffic is coming from. This way you can make appropriate adjustments to exploit that data and tighten your promotional campaigns.

Hermas
  8. mountainmom5 Gold Member

THANKS Hermas - the light is coming on now.[IMG]