How long before I should see real traffic

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by rich in minutes, Jun 23, 2009.

1. rich in minutes

rich in minutes New Member

Hi
    I have been working on my website for about 3 weeks now, but have yet to see any real traffic. How long should I start to see traffic in the 10,000's?
  2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Rich,

Too many variables even to give you a vague idea.

~Newbie Shield~
  3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Its really hard to say, because a lot of it depends on how much competition there is for the keywords you are targeting on your website and how optimized it is - start focusing on getting back links to your website, which should help you increase your PR, which should increase your traffic.
  4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Instead of speculating on how much time it ought to take to see traffic in the 10,000s, concentrate instead on building an infrastructure or system that can deliver those numbers.

When you manage to attract 100 visitors, try tweaking your methods to double that traffic to 200. Then try doubling it again.

Eventually your traffic flow will grow out of the hundreds into the thousands. Then you can use the strategy that got you from 100 to 200 to grow your traffic from 1,000 to 2,000... and so on.

Your focus should be on the outcome, not how long it takes.

Does it really matter if you made your first million dollars in 5 years, 7 years, or 10 years? The satisfaction of making a million dollars is the trophy. It'll be yours forever!

Hermas
  5. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

A8ch: Your focus should be on the outcome, not how long it takes.
    Definitely.

Rich: Just do your best at building a high quality site the serves your readership well.

~Newbie Shield~
  6. andreaevens20

andreaevens20 New Member

Where do you get your websites from and do you get any help setting them up thanks in advance andrea.
  7. rich in minutes

rich in minutes New Member

I used wordpress it was easy to setup. In fact you can try it for free at wordpress.com.
  8. Sonni

Sonni New Member

You can't use affiliate links on WP.com you have to use WP.org for those who want to make money as an affiliate. If you want to use a free site to test you can use Blogger or Weebly which is a static site.
    Sonni
  9. GlennELee

GlennELee New Member

Blogs are one good way to get yourself out there and one of the best (amongst many, many others). You'll need to learn a little SEO and write content. Best to write content in a blog daily in order to keep your blog in good blogging standards by the blogging community at large.

After you have 1 or 2 weeks worth of blogs (7+ articles written) try syndicating your blog through sites like Google Blog Search to have it ping your blog and bookmark through Digg, Delicious, Faves, Diigo, etc. This will increase your exposure slightly.

Next you'll want to see if you can also use Yahoo Answers to blog about some answers, then answer the question in your blog and use your blog URL as a resource to gain extra syndication and exposure. Doing this method will keep you in good standing with Yahoo Answers so long as your content on the blog is worth while.

This gets you even more syndication, increases pagerank, gives more exposure and live people see it.

You can also make unique and entertaining material on Youtube and other video sites and have a link to your blog there. Just be sure to read the Youtube Terms of Service and don't steal other company's traffic by using their names in your titles, description and tags, otherwise it's likely your video will have a short live on Youtube.

Hope this helps you out some with some of your variables. Using this method you should start seeing traffic within a month or two using these viral means.
  10. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

Like Hermas said, start with a small target first, then processing gradually.

The more you are anxious with your result, the more less focus you are and most likely you will get disappointed and give up.
  11. andreaevens20

andreaevens20 New Member

Thanks some really good advise yet again.
    andrea
  12. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

Hi All

I was just wanting to know, If you think you tube is a good way to go ? There seems to be a lot of viewing figures for online businesses at you tube & again It's free to upload your videos !
    Must be a great tool in getting exposure for your business.

Cheers

Mark [​IMG]
  13. magume

magume New Member

shmeeko69: Hi All

I was just wanting to know, If you think you tube is a good way to go ? There seems to be a lot of viewing figures for online businesses at you tube & again It's free to upload your videos !
    Must be a great tool in getting exposure for your business.

Cheers

Mark
    Definitely yes Mark!
    YouTube is a social networking site. This means you can join groups within the website and share your videos with other people on YouTube. This is a really good way to utilize YouTube marketing and to create a buzz!
    Regards,
    Vicky
  14. kyrash

kyrash New Member

Just keep putting quality content on your blog, building links, submitting site to search engines, posting on forums and blogs with link back, use sites like digg,propeller,reditt,stumble, etc...

Its a long journey my friend but dont look back.

Good Luck
  15. GlennELee

GlennELee New Member

vinnyqua: Keep adding content. Search engine bots such as google loves content! Thats why blogs are indexed so much faster then any other sites cause people keep adding content on there blogs everyday! I hope this helps
    This is the prime example on why I podcast 15 times a month, blog 1-5 times a day and thoroughly abuse social bookmarking sites. Though Youtube and Twitter I generally stay away from. I tweet every other day to get my tweets indexed by google since no humans ever read tweets these days and Youtube has far too many blackhat marketers attempting to steal traffic so the competition is fierce there.

If at all possible, it's best to throw your traffic into a location in which you can control entirely, especially with htaccess and robots.txt and sitemap capabilities so your information can get sent out there.

Advertising on Yahoo Answers can be effective as well if done right.
  16. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

Hi Again

Thanks for your helpful hints & tips about generating traffic ! I always think of a comment from a well thought of marketing guru - If you get traffic to your website, you will eat well for the forseable future ! I think it's very profound & nearly always sticks in my mind. (Website - Products - Traffic - Income - [​IMG])

Cheers

Mark
  17. Kurt Henninger

Kurt Henninger New Member

Yes, just keep at it, posting content, and most importantly, getting relevent backlinks to your content.

Just keep repeating the process over and over....you'll get there.

In the 10,000s? maybe not. It really depends on what keywords you are targeting and how much traffic is out there for those keywords.
  18. gowriter

gowriter Member

Make sure you're targeting keywords that indicate potential buyers. If you target "how to get rid of weeds in your garden" vs. "organic weedeater solutions", then you're going to be giving away free advice and making no sales.
  19. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

Your content looks really good. I'm now reprogramming my thought process, to think a little outside the box ! In that if I was looking for a product or Ebook, how would I best search this out ? The question is - what keywords would I enter into the search engines to find what I'm looking for ? The information on this forum is first class & we all have something to offer one & other.

Cheers

Mark [​IMG]
  20. twnuck

twnuck New Member

Yep, as was stated earlier there are too many variables at work here. the only way to instantly switch on traffic (in my opinion) is through PPC advertising. And even there the variables are the ad plus the amount of cash you are willing to spend.

if you have enough cash and know how to write a good PPC ad you can get 10,000 visitors to your site in 48 hours or less. But, it will take a LOT of cash and a GREAT ad.

Todd