How Long did it take for you to quit your day job?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by bbray95, Oct 8, 2010.

1. bbray95

bbray95 New Member

Curious as to how long it took some of you to actually quit your day job and make money from home full time. Thanks
  2. westfam11

westfam11 Member

It took me two years. Now that I look back it could have been done in six months but I let lots of things side track me a few times during the last two years. Life got in the way, I got discouraged, but I didn't give up.

Rebecca
  3. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

Westfam, alludes to important point. You can get their but it will be relative to the time you put in to get their.

Many people don't even put in good part-time effort and thus they don't get part-time results let alone getting into full-time.

Now there will be factors, such as what a person is involved in that can effect how much income is generated and how quickly, but the bottom line is one will only get out, what they put in.
  4. reyeshane

reyeshane New Member

It took me 5 months to quit from my day job. As soon as you learned the ways of making money online, then you can start working at home and learned new things more.
  5. LJameson

LJameson New Member

I took a different approach by setting aside enough savings to continue my lifestyle for one year. That way I was able to quit my job and devote 100% of time and energy to online marketing. That was back in 2003, and I haven't looked back.
  6. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I was laid off, so quitting wasn't an option. It took about a year. Now I am finally getting out of the hole I dug along the way.
  7. margocale

margocale New Member

A lot depends upon how much you allow yourself to be distracted from your main product.

Distration is the big time stealer unless you are hard on yourself.
  8. katereber

katereber New Member

reyeshane: As soon as you learned the ways of making money online, then you can start working at home and learned new things more.
    You're right reyeshane, after learning the tricks on how to make money online, then that's the time I quited to my job.. And it takes 4-5 years. Now I am happy of where I am.
  9. nalced

nalced New Member

I was laid of myself so didn't really have a choice. After a year online spinning my wheels i decided to go in a completely different direction and within 6 months I was earning enough to live comfortably.

The truth is though, the time it takes to earn a good income comes down to what strategies are being implemented and how much time is put into consistent action.

For that first year online I was putting in about 10 hours a day. It could have been 15 hours a day and I wouldn't have made any more progress.

I think it's a joke now to not be earning a full time income within 6 months, but I understand why most people will never get to that stage. It really has to come down to building a list by driving targeted traffic to a squeeze page through a mixture of free and paid advertising. Once you gain traction it's just a matter of scaling up and leveraging your returns.
  10. LTWeb

LTWeb New Member

When I first decided to go into business for myself back in 1996 it took me about a year before I was fed up with wearing a suit and tie to the office everyday after a 1 hour commute in rush hour traffic.

Throughout the years however when business plans didn't always work out the way I had hoped I found myself working for someone else again off and on for temporary periods.

Now, its much harder to find a job than it was back then, so this is pretty much my only option.
  11. weblogger

weblogger New Member

Im trying my best to manage both my day job and online business. Quitting day job will only force me to work fulltime online from home... [​IMG]

I wanna live the real internet lifestyle by running a business with less handholding...
  12. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

It didn't take me long at all. I lost my job several years ago due to downsizing, as did millions of others. So I decided to create my own job online and I've been making money with free sites ever since. [​IMG]
  13. msuggitt

msuggitt New Member

About 5 minutes to tell my boss and 20 minutes to say good bye to all my friends[​IMG]
  14. 88Style

88Style New Member

I would say that two years is about the average, but it all depends on when you think you can dedicate your full attention to your online job. A lot of the time people need to save money working at their other job in order to start up their business, and this varies dramatically.

Although others are lucky and are able to simply say their goodbyes and begin their new venture

[​IMG]
  15. NetWizard862

NetWizard862 New Member

It's been 3 months since I happily did quit. The only thing I've ever been regretting is not doing so earlier. seriously, all you need is 3-4 business ideas (some say the more - the better but I personally don't think so.. if you have 1 or 2 and then start to just doing things, ideas keep coming like water on tap). one of those will definitely work, it doesn't have to be anything special. provided you have some good seo tools (i personally use seo powersuite and that's enough for me to manage my entire google presence. - you might try some other tools and see for yourself). Anyway, if you feel like walking away from your job, there's no good reason why you should wait years to do so.
  16. Greatwoman

Greatwoman New Member

I'm just starting network marketing. Hope to quit someday when my feet are grounded. I wouldn't mind someone showing me the ropes as I don't have a physical mentor presently.
    Thanks.