How to deal with work at home frauds..?

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal Advice' started by samda, Jan 18, 2008.

  1. samda

    samda Member

    One of my friend was working at home. The work is computer job. The process is he has to submit the work through email and the company will evaluate his works and pay him accordingly. But after he has submitted the work, company didnt respond. He went to the location of company but it was locked.
    What can i suggest him to do leagally to get back his payment for his works. Please suggest me...
  2. wealthymarket

    wealthymarket New Member

    Have him contact the local police. If they will not handle it, I'm sure they will know who to pass it on to. If that doesn't work, then it comes to deciding how much he is willing to pay an attorney to make it happen. Those are the only two options I can think of to bring justice to the situation.
  3. dmitch31

    dmitch31 New Member

    Most likely he will never get payment. However, reporting this fraudulent business to his state attorney general's office would be a good idea. Also, if he ever received any kind of material whatsoever from them through the postal mail, he can report them to the post office as well for mail fraud.
  4. pcwork

    pcwork New Member

    Contact the local police, they may be able to help
  5. pegarrett

    pegarrett New Member

    You don't include enough specifics in your post for me to make specific recommendations.

    I will suggest, however, that before anyone freelances online, they should have a legal advisor in place. There are legal services available for about 50 cents a day that allow you to consult with real attorneys without leaving your home. These consultations don't cost extra. In fact, you can also have them review contracts at no extra cost.

    Had your friend consulted with an attorney before taking the job, he might have learned that he had little or no recourse in getting payment. Or he might have been advised how to check on the reliability (reputation) of the company beforehand.

    Which brings us to a problem with internet freelancing. If you were to freelance for an individual in your local area who failed to pay you for your service, you would have the option of filing a suit in small claims court. However, the people you are likely to be dealing with online can be anywhere. It is much more difficult to seek legal redress with a party in another state and almost impossible to get money owed you from someone in another country.

    That is why you want to learn your legal rights and options before you get involved in freelancing for strangers on the internet.
  6. jpolito830

    jpolito830 New Member

    You think the local police will actually be able to help him here...I wouldnt think so
  7. VictoriaNTC

    VictoriaNTC Silver Member

    I would suggest filing an online FTC complaint.
    First, you may contact them and this just may provide them the energy to write the check.
    I am sorry this has happened!
  8. pegarrett

    pegarrett New Member

    The association of state attorney generals met recently. The number one complaint received by their offices is from citizens defrauded on the internet. Unfortunately, the majority of victims won't get justice. The states are understaffed and many of the complaints are considered too small to pursue.
  9. tinimini

    tinimini New Member

    If you go to the police, they will write up a report and file it, and nothing will happen, same with the FTC.

    Unless you know where this guy is, there is very little anyone can do.

    You can file a report to the attorney generals office, which if you know where the company or person is will help, but again without knowing where the person is, it is almost impossible to do anything.

Share This Page