How to find LOW competition keywords with HIGH traffic

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by Sahan Asad, May 19, 2010.

1. Jen73

Jen73 New Member

Could somebody please explain to me why when I put a keyword into the google keyword finder it says it is low competition but then when I put that word into a google search (in the "" and with the allintitle) it comes up with over 1.5 million results??? How can that be low competition?
    I can't seem to get any results for keywords related to my niche that come up with less than a million results!! I'm very new to this and have only been looking today but feeling a bit disheartened and could do with some serious help [​IMG]

2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Jen73,

Are you referring to Googles keyword tool for adwords? If so, I believe the "competition" you are seeing is not how much competition there is in the search results, but rather how much competition there is for advertisers bidding on that keyword phrase.

Those would be two completely different things and that's why I think you are getting confused by the different results.

I'm not up on the latest "free" keyword tools, because I use the brainstorming keyword tool that's included in SBI, but I believe Wordtracker still has their 7 day free trial if you want to do a serious week of keyword research.

Someone else who uses a good free keyword tool might be able to make some recommendations, but I'm really not sure if there IS a good free one for what you're looking for.

However, let me give you this tip about looking for LOW competition keywords. You will usually find that you'll find less competitive keywords when you revert to a phrase rather than a single keyword.

For example, "Valentine Gifts" is going to be a lot more competitive than "Valentine gifts for boyfriends" and so forth. That may help you find lower competition phrases by thinking of the whole phrase someone might be typing in the SE without a paid keyword tool.

Blessings,
    Angie

3. Jen73

Jen73 New Member

Thanks Angie,

That's brilliant advice, you are right yes I was confusing the low competition as referred to on the adwords keywords tool with low competition in search results! That make it much clearer, thanks.

So should I be at all bothered as to whether a word or phrase has high competition when it come to the google adwords tool? I suppose this just makes the clicks more expensive? So it would be better to go for low competition in that respect?

Thanks [​IMG]

4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Jen73: So should I be at all bothered as to whether a word or phrase has high competition when it come to the google adwords tool? I suppose this just makes the clicks more expensive? So it would be better to go for low competition in that respect?
    It depends on what you're doing? [​IMG] I personally like the competition to be high in the Google Adwords tool, because one of the ways I make money is through Google Adsense.

I have theme based websites (like my chocolate-candy-mall.com site) and the greater the competition in Adwords, the higher the click value when someone clicks on an ad on my site.

However, if I were to use Google Adwords for paid advertising (which I don't), I would want the competition to be low so I wouldn't have to pay much for the ads. [​IMG]

I believe Tal (another forum member) uses paid advertising a lot, so perhaps he could advise you if you are going that direction. One of the best to follow, though, for using Google Adwords is Perry Marshal.

Just do a search on his name and you'll find his site. He's got a free Adwords tutorial and just some overall good info.

I prefer not to spend money on advertising (at this point) and rely completely on free search traffic. That's why I do keyword research for those phrases I illustrated above that have lower competition and higher demand.

Hopefully that helps explain things a bit further.
    Blessings,
    Angie

5. loner44

loner44 New Member

thanks, Sahan, that's a heck of a post, bro.

however, if i may, i'd like to mention an seo tool that helps you do what you describe faster and in bulk.

i'm talking about the rank tracker by link-assistant (i thought i'd specify, cause almost any seo software provider has one :confused[​IMG]

what it does is,

- it tells you the search volumes
    - it tells you the competition
    - it calculates keyword efficiency index for each keyword
    - if you use google analytics, it will even tell you expected visits (how many people will visit your site if you rank it number one on google).

plus, the tool just got redesigned (check out the new look here), and is now even easier to use. besides, there is a free trial.

6. DugMg

DugMg New Member

Sahan Asad
    I've always use quotes to help reduce the amount of hits I got back.

But now that I understand long keyword tails it all makes sense. The people who use that search phrase are really your TARGET group.

Anyone who clicks on a link that comes up in the 1st page or two is a motivated prospect.

7. Ritu Anand

Ritu Anand Member

happywife
    Thanks Angie,

That really is good advice. I too am having the same problems and found your advice very helpful. Thanks for the tip.

All the best.

Ritu Anand

8. Ritu Anand

Ritu Anand Member

Sahan Asad
    Wow, thanks Sahan - that is tremendous information - will help a lot when i search for keywords next time. Your knowledge and help in imparting it is highly appreciated. [​IMG]

Thanks and have an awesome day.[​IMG]

9. Beolight

Beolight New Member

Just spent last 2 days with seo software and I have learnt more in this post than I did with the software

Thanks

10. shuvo

shuvo Member

These are some great tips.This is why its important to use the option "Exact" when you research keyword with Google keyword research tool and thus give you the actual idea of the competition.

11. whino

whino New Member

Hi folks. I've just joined. Thanks to everyone for the valuable information. I'm just starting out and it is very useful. You may be interested in a keyword research program called Market Samurai. It comes with a free trial. It's very expensive to buy but I am told you can use the keyword research tool free forever. I've tried it and it seems to work well given my limited knowledge.

12. Ritu Anand

Ritu Anand Member

The problem is that there are so many tools out there to help that sometimes one gets a bit confused. Every page you look at will give you a new link to try something else. I think looking for free traffic initially is the way to go, until, one has learnt enough to be able to make proper use of the free trials that these tools allow.[​IMG]

13. sunnyblue

sunnyblue New Member

I think it is very difficult to find less than 10, 000 pages keyword but if you give time you can find.

14. Powderchick5

Powderchick5 New Member

This is very helpful information. Thanks for posting.

15. jamess

jamess Member

This is very important that you should select right keyword to rank well. You have elaborate very well one thing I want to add here that when you select a keyword then you should check the CPC of that keyword and High CPC mean you can get high traffic.

16. Very well said Sahan...It is difficult to find a gold mine keyword but put a lot of effort and time to it and you will find your own gold mine.. :)

[Post edited. Full quote removed - Admin]