How To Promote Your Website On NO Budget or Very Small Cost

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by sjames23, Aug 26, 2009.

1. sjames23

sjames23 New Member

One way I first started out a few years ago was promoting offline. What I did was make up about 200 flyers on my computer with a message saying something like "Make $10,000 a Month Starting Now".

Something along those lines and what I did was put those flyers on the windshields of cars in parking lots of malls, subway stations, grocery stores, etc... I made over $5,000 doing this and I only spent $4 on paper and printed these flyers at home.

Think outside of the box and promote offline. There is a HUGE market in the city you live in. Hope this helps
  2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi sjames,

Do you like it when you get flyers on your windshield?

~Newbie Shield~
  3. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Newbie Shield: Hi sjames,

Hahaha.

That was the best laugh I had all night long =].

Thanks NS you made my day.

AND

A very good point. I caught someone putting a flyer on my windshield. Coincidentally I had just bought my BRAND new car and JUST had it detailed.

I know he didn't hurt it or anything but as I saw him prying my windshield wiper up and shoving that piece of paper in there...

I may have been a little rude to him..

^^.

Anyway. Flyers are not original.

They are annoying and unprofessional.

NS summed it up nice in one sentence.

Let me requote so you can see again.

Newbie Shield: Do you like it when you get flyers on your windshield?
    Absolutely Brilliant

Matt
  4. dula14

dula14 New Member

Offline marketing can indeed be very effective. Despite your success I don't think putting flyers on windshields is the best approach however. As the previous two posters said, getting a flyer on your windshield goes under the annoying catergory for most.
  5. GaryCameron

GaryCameron New Member

Most of the time when I see paper under my windshield wiper I am thining, "Yeesh. what now?"

Some places (e.g. shopping centers) will make you remove them if they catch you papering cars.

I am not against doing this but I also feel there are better ways to promote. Though I can't argue if $4.00 for printing turns into $5,000.
  6. gowriter

gowriter Member

Wow. Good. It's the way things were done before. If you're still managing now, great. But I think the internet is the major way to do it.
  7. cthen

cthen New Member

When I was building an offline business, I did do flyers. Instead of putting them on a windshield, but them on the drivers side window. Nothing more annoying to people than getting in their car and then having to get back out to get an add off their windshield. They do work, but generally take a lot to get a response.
    They are very time consuming, so if you can find a way to get traffic from internet you will be better off.

Connie
  8. mjb13815

mjb13815 New Member

I think promoting your website using blogs, squidoo, and article directories is a very effective and free way rather than posting flyers. So save your ink and paper. Not only that but if you are all into being environmentally friendly and not increasing the chances of others throwing your flyers around (litering), promote your website using the available resources online for FREE.

Promoting your website online is the best way I believe.
  9. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

Putting flyers on folks windcreens is questionable.

Advertising $10.000 a month is extreme & hopefully there
    was some honesty in the quoted amount, or else there'll be
    alot of angry customers to deal with.

There are many offline ways to promote your business &
    I'm not knocking yours.

Mark [​IMG]

[Post edited. All bold removed - Admin]
  10. ibuzzmentor

ibuzzmentor Member

I totally agree so many people forget about offline marketing. There are so many people out there that are not searching for stuff on google. You can easily convert an offliner to an onliner, its hard to do vice versa. Old school ways of local advertising and using telemarketers will never go out of style. Just learn to leverage your time!

Chris
  11. apbenefits

apbenefits New Member

you can do free online advertising like craigslist, backpage, kijiji, ...just to name a few. This is what I did when I first started, due to not having alot to invest at the time and it panned out quite well.
    hope this helps
  12. elle14

elle14 New Member

LOL.. I also laugh with this.. Feels like your so serious but funny.. haha [​IMG]

BTW sjames23, all they mention above is right. There are many ways that you can do with promoting your site in a free way. But it really needs patience and determination. You should work hard for it. [​IMG]
  13. jayorban

jayorban New Member

Hey im not hating whatever works, you guys are laughing at his technique, but he's laughing all the way to the bank! If i made that much off a 4 dollar investment id be living in the walmart parking lot lol... keep doing it if it works, the mans an entrepreneur!
  14. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

It may work if you are selling something that can actually be DONE offline, but I can guarantee you it won't work if you are promoting an internet opportunity...

The people that find your opportunity offline, about making money online, will never make it.

They may buy in to your plan but they will never do anything with it, except join the million others that are calling you a scammer.

Unless they have some experience with Internet Marketing they will have no idea what it takes to succeed online and all you are doing is making a quick buck off people that are responding to the hype in the ad.
  15. mirab

mirab New Member

If your gonna do offline ads then the dollar bill drop cards are the best.
    You know the fake but amazingly real looking money cards.

I got a ton of response from them. The funniest part was dropping them every where I went and watching people pick them up and thinking they found real money.

But they never threw them back on the ground. They kept it. I guess it is psychological.
    You can find them on my site if you want to see them.
  16. Jean LA

Jean LA New Member

I see this technique works great. My husband just got a few thousand dollars placing those flyers promoting college CPA offers.
  17. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

For certain biz ventures the flyers could work. But in business where duplication of marketing is important for succeeding and making money people may shun the flyer thing.

Postcard marketing has been the best offline solution for generating me income from home. Easily duplicated by anyone and not intrusive. Also cost effective, especially compared to search engine PPC.

Offline marketing to bring people online is ideal and a hidden home business success secret for the right business.
  18. Lucky1

Lucky1 New Member

I am very new to working at home. I like the responsesand believe that flyers could be a stepping stone for someone like me. I think I will try that.
  19. Lucky1

Lucky1 New Member

I spent hours and hours posting on craigslist, olx, kijiji and they all removed my ads, cuz it redirects viewers to my site. They don't like that and I didn't know. Like I said, very new to working from home. Live and learn. Hopefully, this information can help someone else after me.
  20. joanpeterson

joanpeterson New Member

For those that do post in places like craigslist, be aware that you should not use the services that spam craigslist. I just read in the news today that craigslist has a lawsuit now trying to shut some spammers down. Read the article.