I Did My Own Taxes Online!!

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal Advice' started by mountainmom5, Feb 20, 2009.

1. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I could not believe how simple it was to do my own taxes even with the self emplyment part...

I had always had an accountant do them before - and it cost me over $300 to do them because of filing jointly plus being self-employed and all...

This year I did them online with taxslayer.com and it cost me a whopping ten bucks.... just in case anyone else out there is thinking about doing that... it is very simple and will save you money - or at least it did me... [​IMG]

2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Mountain,

Congrats on doing it yourself and that's dirt cheap!

Wow, that site has been around since 1996 and it's a PR5.

Did you have to download the software? I know that HR block has you download a new copy each year.

Did it take you more than two hours? I might have to do it that way or have my accountant do it if I'm either too busy or not in the mood.

~Newbie Shield~

3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

No I didn't download any software but it did take me more than two hours as it was the first time I had EVER done my own taxes.

But if you have everything all ready to put in and don't have to go dig for stuff like I did, then it may not take any more than that.

What I actually did was go to turbotaxes and taxslayer. I did my taxes on both of their free programs to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything and also to see if they came out the same and they did... taxslayer was cheaper so I went with them plus their refund was just a smidgeon greater.... and when you have a bunch of kids you really want the greater refund. [​IMG]

4. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Mountain,

Cool, let me know how long the refund takes. I'd imagine it would be around 15 days if you gave them your bank account number for the deposit.

A few years ago, we used H&R Block full service with eFiling and the refund only took a week but it cost over $300.

This year we had our accountant come over and use the download from H&R Block for eFiling. The total was only $150 (he's been a good friend for over 15 years so he did it for less than half price). The refund took 16 days.

~Newbie Shield~

5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

yes, mine took about that long,too...

6. Louidam1

Louidam1 New Member

I have been using Taxslayer for 5 years now and will never let anyone else do my taxes again!!

7. Nicolus

Nicolus New Member

go to the IRS website and click on the link for freefile. it is a free service and you do not need a bank account. it can be mailed to your house. the website is www.irs.gov
    good luck

[Link removed - Admin]