I have a legal question

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal Advice' started by getagrip, May 29, 2006.

1. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I'm thinking about putting up a fantasy football website - for those of you who don't know what fantasy football is, basically, its based off actual NFL football games (in the USA) where you can get points each time a player scores a touch down - or runs, throws, or catches a certain number of yards.

Anyway, I know that there are certain products which have to be registered with the NFL where you have to pay the NFL a royalty for selling a shirt with an NFL team logo - or sell anything with a team name on it, etc.

I thought I might be able to not have to pay the royalty by mentioning only player names and city names on my website - rather than actual NFL team names. So, for example, there is a great running back named Shawn Alexander who plays for the Seattle Seahawks - instead of saying I expect "Shawn Alexander of the Seawaks to rush for 2,000 yards this year" I'd say something like, "I expect Shawn Alexander of Seattle to rush for 2,000 yards this year." Does anyone know if I can get away with this without paying royalty fees, or since I'm mentioning a specific player from a specific NFL team (even though I'm not mentioning the team name), does this fall under something that needs to be liscensed by the NFL - or can the NFL sue me for using the player's name and the city name?

Please note that I wouldn't be selling anything here - I would simply be writing articles and making "predictions" on player performances for the upcoming season and putting them on my website - but I would be making money (or hopefully making money) by promoting sports related products on my website).

If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know, particularely if you work in a legal field.
  2. success77

success77 New Member

getagrip, I am a member of Pre-Paid Legal. Its less that $30 a month and you can get unlimited answers to legal questions. I has been great help in the past. Give them try.