I have a very small budget

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by lawrenceind, Jan 14, 2011.

1. lawrenceind

lawrenceind New Member

What are some good free or very low cost forms of website marketing? I'm not too good with SEO so I need a list of sites where I can add my site to the directory. Can anyone help me?
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I just googled 'submit sites for free' and then started submitting my sites here awhile back, It takes a lot of time to do it manually but if you have more time than money it is absolutely do-able.[​IMG]

I also submitted my rss feed to directories which is even better as that way whenever you add content or update your site, it gets pinged to all those rss directories.
  3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

You can also google your niche theme + directory, for example "chocolate + directory" without the quotes and see what you get.

Links from related themed directories are even better than generic directories in some ways.

You can do the same with "chocolate + forum" etc., using your own niche phrase, of course.

Blessings,
    Angie
  4. JesseK

JesseK New Member

You can try a couple of these directories:
    www.dmoz.org/add.html
    www.freesubmitwebsiteurl.net/
    www.dmegs.com
    websitespromotiondirectory.com/
    www.best-web-directories.com/

Another avenue you can try is article marketing. You write articles related to your website and upload them to various article websites (google "submit article" for websites). When you write your articles try to include as many keywords as possible in the article body so that it will be easily picked up by the search engines.
  5. villasana

villasana Member

Hi lawrenceind,

One of the services that you can use is Bidvertiser, just google it and register, it??s something like google addwords but more friendly, you can manage your payments, if you have doubts or comments just reply back or send me an internal email.

Regards
    Luis
  6. onedumbaussie

onedumbaussie New Member

G'day and welcome,

You'll need to start your seo learning curve at some point. You will need to know the basics to make your directory listings so you choose the right keywords and have the right info in there.

Money isn't everything when you start, you can buy a domain for $7.50 have it hosted for $1 a month and use wordpress and all there plugins for free.

Check out posts on SEO at this forum, there is somewonderful advice and I have learnt a lot from here and a few other places like it.

Make sure your promoting something you like as well, That way it might even be fun doing this.

Take Care, NEVER Give up, the next submission could be the money shot.

ODA
  7. HiAchiever

HiAchiever New Member

If you are writing articles you should consider freetrafficsystem.com which will distribute your article to around 30 relevant blogs for free. Paid members get additional benefits, but I use them for free with decent results.

Also consider classified ad sites like backpage.com, usfreeads.com, craigslist.org and other sites (many of which are listed at freeclassifiedsites.net). While you ads are posted free, they only remain on the site for a limited time.

Don't forget to participate in forums where your signature will add backlinks to your site and attract visitors.
  8. Free Website Marketing:-

Article Marketing
    Blog Commenting (not spam)
    Classified Ads
    Forum Participation
    Blogging
    Social Media
    Video's (YouTube)
  9. bankonadam

bankonadam New Member

Using articles to drive traffic has been used by internet marketers for decades. A good article that ranks high in the search engines can bring you an unlimited source of traffic and the fact that it is free is just one of the benefits. Forget expensive PPC advertising you are bettter of spending time writing informative articles that will be hanging around the internet for years. Articles that contain your links are also a good source of backlinks to rank your website higher in the search engines.

Tips:
    Write informative captivating content with no self promotion in the body of the article.
    Write your resource box as a third person and use keywords as your links.
    Only write unique content NO copying.
    Include keywords or phrases in the article related to your website.
  10. desktop

desktop New Member

lawrenceind: What are some good free or very low cost forms of website marketing? I'm not too good with SEO so I need a list of sites where I can add my site to the directory. Can anyone help me?
    Hi Lawrence,

When I had my blog on Blogger I started by promoting it with the social sites like Technorati, Twitter, Blog Catalog, etc. I also did what mountainmom said - submitted it to as many free blog submission sites as I could find.

Another good form of free marketing is to search for web sites like yours and comment on some of their articles. Commenting on other sites that are relevant in content to your own can increase visitor traffic, and if you have a Twitter account some of them may have a box for adding your Twitter username, which will show your recent post.

Also, make a email signature that has the URL of your site in it. And then when you send out emails people will see your site and may click to go visit it. Find as many sites like yours as you can and write the site owner. Ask them questions or compliment them on their site or articles, etc. Doing this can build visitors and/or potential marketing relationships.

You can also join up with forums that are relevant to your site content, and get involved with them. In some you can even make a forum "sig" and put your site name and URL in it, which is another great form of free marketing. Just make sure you read the forum rules first, because in some forums this isn't allowed.

Another awesome form of free marketing is that if you can find ways to mention prominent web site owners in your articles then you can link to them (say you are writing about Photoshop, you can mention someone like Colin Smith, and then link to his site). Make sure the link is relevant to your article. Once you publish your article then write anyone you've linked to and tell them about your article and that you mentioned/linked to them.

And last but certainly not the least make sure you write compelling, interesting, and relevant articles on your site/blog. These will be the main reason why the majority of people visit your site and what keeps bringing them back. You can also Tweet your articles, which is another great free form of marketing.

This is basically what I did with my own blog, and I went from a mere five subscribers to over five-thousand in six months. Of course it takes dedication and persistence to do this on a daily basis, which you may have to do in the beginning until your site is well known.
  11. bhuff85

bhuff85 New Member

Tons of options, but my favorite (and preferred free method) is article marketing. All it takes is a little of your time and a creative mind.

Barb basically covered other great methods that are free to do as well. Other suggestions are to create Hubpages Hubs, Squidoo Lenses, Blogger blogs and other web 2.0 properties and fill them with good content with links back to your main website. Include article marketing in the mix and you'll be generating at least SOME traffic in no time!
  12. hunysukle

hunysukle New Member

Oh there are tons of free or low cost ways to promote your website!

Here are some:

- Traffic exchanges
    - Safelists
    - Classified Ads
    - Article Marketing
    - Business Cards

Click on my signature line to see which sites I use personally.

Hope this hopes![​IMG]
  13. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I think that the best way for you to make money with your website is to go with PAID advertising.

Get yourself educated about how to do PAID advertising the RIGHT way. This is something that you need to master.

I personally don't believe in FREE advertising. It may bring you a little traffic but I still love PAID advertising like PPC.

Tal
  14. Mader

Mader New Member

you can try Facebook Ad for more targeted audience...
  15. michaelhunter

michaelhunter New Member

Facebook and Forums are my best two traffic sources, and are fun to use.

I recently started using StumbleUpon as well.

I don't really mess with SEO that much.

Create a Facebook Fan Page for your business, if you don't have one already.
  16. shaun

shaun New Member

Conatct me in 12 months time when you've given up and had gutful of free marketing methods because you have gotten nowhere.
    Its usually not until people are sick of their mistakes and struggling that they get serious.
    Failing miserably is an important step towards success. Once you have failed & STILL have the desire.....then your ready to get serious.
  17. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

Denise i recommend looking into Facebook iFramesengine. It use to be fanpageengine. This is where SEO will be hot very soon.
  18. taz87

taz87 New Member

I agree with you Shaun,I am personally still int he "frustration stage" when it comes to back linking, but still pushing onwards [​IMG]

Taz
  19. shaun

shaun New Member

Hi taz87
    Are you a network marketer?
    Are you using articles?

Articles are great but FAcebook PPC is easy easy easy & cheap.
    I recommend you give that a go....your frustration wll turn to excitement quickly once you get going.

If you like I have recorded a webinar with Brooke , my other half, narating it. We expose one of our campaigns in PPC completely. We show the ad , the capture page, the clicks the conversions keywords, the whole lot.
    Let me know if you are interested and i give you the link.
    We generate about 50 leads a day with this strategy and quite honestly any halfwit can do it.
    Everyone talks it up big time making everyone think oh its so technical & i need to be a master marketer blah blah blah.
    Nonsense, the industry wants you to think that way so "gurus" can sell you a product that tells you what to do but NOT how. I can show you HOW for free...i dont give a shit ....there is an abundance of leads out there and Facebook(the most trafficed website in the world) is where the leads are.
  20. taz87

taz87 New Member

Shaun,Use of facebook PPC is something I never considered really as of yet but maybe I will [​IMG]

Taz