I would love to work from home but I have no idea how to do it or what to do.

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by river, Nov 12, 2013.

1. river

river New Member

I have been a tanker driver for over 20 years and I need a change bad! I have a very large shop, actually an airplane hangar, which is attached to my house. So, I have a useful shop to work in. I am a private pilot and have owned three airplanes, one of which I built and another was a complete restoration project. But I can not afford to fly anymore and my planes are gone. Now I am living paycheck to paycheck and I'm a little depressed about it all. I have very good skills but I can't come up with any ideas. I don't see how it would be possible to go to college to learn a new trade.
  2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

I'm not very sure about this but have you flown RC (radio controlled) airplanes? I mean since you are a pilot you could easily master RC planes and then you could conduct RC flying courses. You being a pilot will add substantial credibility.
    Jesse South, Tina19 and payment proof like this.
  3. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Why don't you actually become a teacher and teach others to become a pilot too.
    Tina19 and payment proof like this.
  4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I think those are both great ideas! I would think with your past experience that becoming a flight instructor might be a good career choice. Have you tried looking for any opportunities?
  5. yahia

yahia Member

Great ideas up there, and I'd like to add to that an info product (your own video course on how to fly an airplane, how to restore one, how to build one ... etc.). You can offer your private coaching at the back end (after people buy your course you and you collect their contact info offer them a private coaching for as much as you want, and limit it to as many people as you can handle in one workshop).
    Tina19 likes this.
  6. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Your assets:

- over 20 years experience driving a tanker
    - a private pilot
    - your own airplane hanger
    - knowledge of building and restoring planes
    - very good skills​

It's not clear whether "very good skills" refers to the background you shared in your post, or to some other skill set you didn't identify; but hidden in the above mix is the solution you are looking for, and it's probably staring you right in the face.

Other members have already made some excellent suggestions for you to consider. Play a game of mix and match within your areas of expertise and see what you come up with. Keep searching. It may just be a matter of time before that "ah ha!" moment hits, and you stumble upon something that appeals to you.

Hermas
    Vishal P. Rao and river like this.
  7. river

river New Member

Thanks you guys for the advice.
    I'm still thinking of possibilities.
  8. Anders J

Anders J Member

Also welcome from me.

What is it you really want? Any work from home is how to achieve what you deeply desire so what is that you want to accomplish in your life? Is it a certain income pr month or year? Figure this one out and then worry about how.

You can become and do everything you want but you need to know what you really want.
  9. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I hear you River - and my sympathies are with you. Life isn't very fair sometimes. I pray you find the right door to walk through that will give you back the freedom you once had. After having done affiliate marketing AND network marketing ( or mlm) it is much easier to get into profit more quickly with network marketing than most of the online and affiliate marketing stuff... both work, one just takes longer than the other.

I like talking to people and helping people so that might make a difference too. :)
  10. Louis Reiff

Louis Reiff New Member

I have a similar background as yourself River so I think I understand .
    I am also a pilot ( com. multi. Inst. CFI and even Helicopter. ) Have had my CDL for past 15 years and drive in the Oil Field when the wolf gets to hungry.
    I will ad some insight from experience, you probably already know this but climbing the aviation latter starting out as a CFI is a long hard road. (one I am not willing to take)
    You obviously have an interest in working from home or you wouldn't be here.
    And so Ill share some insight that I hope will help you.
    I am a hands on person. And I am going to assume you are as well. As a driver and pilot, you have strong hand to eye coordination. Put simply you work well with your hands.
    Here in; lies the greatest challenge and quite possibly the greatest asset for people like us.
    Now Ill speak for myself. I am very determent to make an online - work from home business, but what I find is that I am not very academically inclined. Or in other words it comes much more natural to do things with my hands then to write or build some virtual marketing strategy that I can't even see.
    It's easy for me to create physical products, but what I have found is the marketing of them is the real key to success. And that takes writing skills, and the patience to do a lot of detailed tedious work on a computer.
    I am building these skills but they are not really what I enjoy and they don't come naturally.
    My hope is to grow to the point where I can hire experts to do all the other stuff while I create products. But in the early stages I have to do it all.
    And this is where, if your anything like me, will have an added challenge in getting skills that most of the people here take for granted.
    I call it moving from Blue Collar work to White Collar, That's a dated term but I think you know what I mean.
    Just the fact that you mention an empty hanger tells me that you are thinking of what can you build or do with your hands. That's great, but what I find is the hardest part and the true key is the marketing.
    So you may want to start learning the skill of selling, if you don't know how already :)
    I hope this helps in some way
    And wish you the best
  11. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

Success and prosperity can easily alluded you if you are not engage in personal development and self improvement. Such things may not seem like they help you create income and prosper but without them you well certainly be challenged. The simplest and well know fastest way to turn your life around in short order has been found in mlm/network marketing. Getting with the right team and system can yield a life change you never imagine.

Success and prosperity from home is a process so don't look for instant results even though such is a possibility but not a probability. However, amazing things can happen in 3, 6, 12 months.

Prosperous regards.
  12. TengoLoTodo

TengoLoTodo New Member

Some great answers and in particular the insight from Louis is invaluable to your situation river.
    Training etc for a new career can be expensive especially if you need to become a qualified teacher or instructor. Living paycheck to paycheck might mean money is tight, and so your startup capital rather limited.

Whatever you decide it will take time patience and research, and not be an overnight switch from leaving a paycheck to taking home full time income home from your work at home business.

The fact you have built a plane and restored another seems to me to be your immediate answer whilst you learn new skills. Are they people who want planes restored ? I know loads of people have car restoration projects that never get off the ground because they have no time to do it. Granted planes a bit bigger, but some of these small fixed wings are pretty small. I would think it would be worthwhile looking in magazines and online as a starting point at least utilizing your skills.

Having your site is a great idea too with some link to flying or a particular aspect of it. Selling objects such as aircraft art ? Build furniture from old parts ? Starting a blog and getting a following is a worthwhile start.

Bouncing ideas off someone would help too. Remember to think outside the box, nothing is too wacky, get some sticky notes and a big piece of paper and brainstorm your thoughts.

Working from home as in affiliate/network/internet marketing is a minefield, and you need to develop a relationship with someone who has been through it and offers sound advice before you embark on that route I suggest.
    A8ch likes this.
  13. AllanJames

AllanJames New Member

Join the club - 7 years ago I had no idea either :)

Are you looking to earn online or offline?
  14. Coach Kip

Coach Kip New Member

Seems to me like you have a lot of options. You also sound like a hands on type of guy. Have you thought about renting out your hanger, offering your services to maintain planes, becoming a training pilot, renting out your hanger as a storage facility, offering classes on airplane repair or diesel engine repair?
    I think you have a great place and a great opportunity to run a business out of that hangar. Put your skills to work and begin teaching others what you know. You only need to know a little more than the people who you are teaching to be a huge success.
  15. ajamarketing

ajamarketing New Member

First of all, it's always possible if it's something you really want! However, with the amount of experience you have, it would seem like learning a new trade might not be the best option. This is especially true if you have a passion that matches your experience. If your passion is airplanes and/or flying then I would definitely suggest sticking with a career along those lines. Just making it financially while doing something you love is always better and more rewarding than making more money doing something you don't like. There's always the option of doing what you love (even if finances are tight) and then supplementing this income with a part time job working from home on your computer. There are many options for this that really just require basic computer skills and dedication. Just beware of scams...do your research! Good luck with your future endeavors!
  16. Suzanne Sobers

Suzanne Sobers New Member

There are tons of Work From Home Opportunities out there - the trick is choosing the right one... For You!

Have you considered doing something online?

This may be the fastest way to create your desired income, while leaving you time to still enjoy the things you are passionate about

There are some specific things to look for when choosing a home/online business. These are the absolutely critical criteria of a successful home business:

1) A product/service people actually want (there must be a demand)
    2) A powerful marketing system
    3) Effective Training and support
    4) Adequate company infrastructure to ensure long term survival and success
    5) Automation tools that will enhance your potential for growth
    6) A lucrative compensation plan

The most important thing is your own strong desire for success and your willingness to put in the effort to make whatever business you choose work.

I hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas to consider.
  17. DCollier

DCollier Member

Those of us who are Pilots know the facts of the hardships on working in this industry. Suggestions from others here are fine , but respectfully saying " ya gatta been there" . Costs of flying have narrowed the common pilot to retire and sell off his stuff to survive. I also know your pain , I built a Lancair Super ES and after flying it all over the US , had to sell just for this reason. Have been involved in just what your looking for "Online mooola" . We share a great ability to "build". Finding a niche within this has its rewards , but far and far between. The interest just isn't the same as " Loose belly fat" or Train my flippin dog"
    robinincarolina likes this.
  18. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

I always support affiliation programs and MLM as you can do them on the side part-time while you have a study income from somewhere else. Slowly as your business grows you will replace your Job with your Business.
    IF you are willing to invest time in learning and developing yourself.
  19. Jameslopez90

Jameslopez90 New Member

Very interesting bud. But there is alot of different online businesses you can get involved with. It all starts off on what you like. :) what are your interest ?