I would never do MLM again in my life

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by try2vape, May 12, 2012.

1. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

FreeBusiness you have a lot of wisdom and good things you share but why do think one needs to be a sales person to succeed in today's mlm.

I can see way back "when", but today automated marketing systems do the work for people. They just need to drive the traffic. Of course this is not for every network marketing company but they not all Avon (no offense that is selling) either.

To make the point clearly. I have had many over the years join me with little to no initial conversation. Why, because I focus on getting traffic to my home business opportunity websites where people are looking for an opportunity. I share the video presentation, and follow up via emails.

I think selling is not necessary at all. Even affiliate marketers don't do it and that's straight direct sales. Technology is allowing people to succeed in this industry like never before. However, one thing doesn't change. Getting traffic, leads, prospects to make sales and grow one's network.

2. luvbodybyvi

luvbodybyvi New Member

I also thought that I would never do MLM again. About 5 years ago, I was with a skin care direct sales company, and then I started with a "shopping mall" direct sales company. Both failed for different reasons. The skin care company failed because the products were just expensive. Plain and simple. No one was going to pay $80 for a night cream. The "shopping mall" was put out of business very quickly thanks to Mr. Rebates and eBates, which are free to join and have the exact same principal.

I think that it makes a HUGE difference on WHAT you are selling. And, I have actually proven my point already because of what I'm selling now. Completely different...something I'm interested in and could talk about day and night...and it's something that just about everyone can identify with. I'm not limited to any specific target market. Just about every man, woman and child could benefit from my products in different ways.

I thought I was going to take a permanent hiatus from MLM, but I was wrong, and I'm glad I kept an open mind when introduced to this. I've made WAY more than the two other companies I did combined, so I am a firm believer that it does matter what your product or service is.

3. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

If you share an idea with a lot of people over time, it will fall on good people. The more people you share your opportunity with, the more of them will sign up with you.

There is a program that I am involved in right now. I got 20 people in it in the past 5 months. 5 quit so far. 13 people are doing NOTHING. 1-2 are building their own teams who are duplicating.

So it is all a numbers game. That is what people don't get.

4. FreeCashMan: FreeBusiness you have a lot of wisdom and good things you share but why do think one needs to be a sales person to succeed in today's mlm. I can see way back "when", but today automated marketing systems do the work for people. They just need to drive the traffic. Of course this is not for every network marketing company but they not all Avon (no offense that is selling) either.To make the point clearly. I have had many over the years join me with little to no initial conversation. Why, because I focus on getting traffic to my home business opportunity websites where people are looking for an opportunity. I share the video presentation, and follow up via emails.I think selling is not necessary at all. Even affiliate marketers don't do it and that's straight direct sales. Technology is allowing people to succeed in this industry like never before. However, one thing doesn't change. Getting traffic, leads, prospects to make sales and grow one's network.

Good point,

No doubt, with many new sites which will do the selling for you are growing, but in traditional MLM, you had better learn how to sell or you won't succeed. Even with the sales tools available these days, most still want the personal contact before pulling the trigger on a purchase, especially when selling in a highly competetive market like most MLM's are in.

If you have an automated system, great, they can help convert prospects into sales, but very few are totally hands off from what I have seen. When it comes to email follow up autoresponders and such, sure they are great tools, but you still need to get the traffic to your sites to capture a prospect, and this is not as easy as it once was. Marketing tools are just that, tools, but nothing competes with true value first and foremost to generate sales. Low prices on what most are already purchasing wins every time in a recession like this.

Success to all,

5. chrisblanks

chrisblanks New Member

@try2vape I agree with you. They get paid little tiny weenie commisions. That would make you want to quit.
    try2vape: After a year of hard work and still losing money in several MLM's it's not worth it. When you get a degree in Nursing, you work hard and you get paid. In MLM, most work non stop and get paid little, don't you think? Come on, be honest.

6. Syll Onajobi

Syll Onajobi New Member

Hi Carolina, I want to Quote You! Your message is motivational - What's your Full Name?

7. SuperstarSeller

SuperstarSeller New Member

It sounds to me like you didn't have the tools you needed to succeed! I feel like everyone in direct sales hears the same stuff from their upline: make your list of 100, post on Facebook 24/7, and be sure to ask friends and family to throw a party.. yuck.

I'm not sure where the 90%+ stats came from, but I do know that 33% of direct sales consultants quit within the first 6 months. Only about 20,000 consultants worldwide make more than $5000 per month. (The majority make between $1000-$5000.)

I worked in retail before I started in direct sales. Trust me when I say, the prices you pay at a physical store are marked up just as much as direct sales products. Yes, the price of direct sales products depends on how many people above you get paid. The price of products at physical stores takes care of building maintenance, staff wages, storage costs, theft, health insurance, etc... so you're not getting rock bottom prices unless you deal directly with a manufacturer.

8. UltimateWingman

UltimateWingman New Member

Its not for everybody that's for sure!

9. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

If I could do it again I would start with affiliate marketing first just to build up the skills required to succeed in MLM since an investment is needed.
    However, I do support MLM and I really do think people can make it if they have direction and support.

Denise James and UltimateWingman like this.
  10. Robin Bull

Robin Bull Member

This is a really old thread, but since it's had some recent activity I felt the need to add my unneeded two cents. :)

1. Not every business is meant for every person. In short, even if you are good at sales that doesn't mean you will like or succeed in an MLM. There's a big difference in being a good sales person and being able to manage everything that being in any sort of business entails. It's like freelance writing. I know some people are who are excellent writers...but they wouldn't make it as freelancers because they can't handle the occasional instability that comes with it.
    2. Yes, only a "handful of people make it big" but even they started at the bottom. Had they never started, they never would have made it big. Moral: you don't know if you don't try.
    3. Business statistics are business statistics...and they're scary. The SBA states that around 3/4 of all businesses will fail within the first two years. In most businesses (I realize there can be exceptions), you won't even turn a profit until at least year two. I understand if someone really cannot afford to keep going in the business. Business has a cost. That cost doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad MLM or business. It just means it wasn't for you at that moment.
    4. Even an MLM needs a business plan that is customized to the individual working it. It is YOUR business. These are YOUR goals. You need YOUR road map to get there. Dreams become goals when you start putting some deadlines in place. Not meeting a deadline doesn't necessarily mean failure...it means that you need to readjust and try again
    5. Simply because I don't like lists made of even numbers.