Identifying Work at Home Scams

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Vishal P. Rao, Jun 27, 2005.

1. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I agree with a lot of posts here in that there are a lot of internet scams out there, but not all programs you have to pay for are scams. If you wrote a digital book that teaches internet marketing, would you give it away for free? I certainly would not!

If you do think something is a scam, however, here are a couple of things you can do to avoid being a victim:

1. Check out http://www.bbbonline.org/consumer/ to see if the product you are thinking of purchasing is listed.

2. Also check out http://ripoffreport.com. This is a GREAT resource to spot scams, but not everyting listed on there is a scam...

For example, Clickbank is an online marketplace where you'll see a lot of products with bold claims, and to my knowledge, every item they sell is backed by a money back guarantee...and you will see some Clickbank products on ripoffreport.com. Sometimes, however, people who purchase Clickbank products and have a problem don't realize that they can email Clickbank directly to get a refund if the seller does not respond. Just keep that in mind if you ever run into a Clickbank product and ever have a problem with the seller.
  2. hypercybertyper

hypercybertyper New Member

I agree totally with the comment about never paying for a job but expecting to invest into any new business venture. Just make sure your business venture provides something that is in demand. I ignored all MLM and Networking opportunities until I came across one that actually provides Internet Marketing tools and resources at no extra cost. My team leader is financing the research into leads etc. and so I can't lose. What's best about it is that anyone with motivation can do this programme and learn a whole heap of stuff, which they can then use to promote any other business or even a number of businesses. I feel that I have invested $30 wisely as not only am I part of a brilliant programme run by experts and professionals, I can also extend my earnings by using the provided tools and resources to promote any number of other businesses!

I saw one scheme recently claiming to be one such programme but one that finds typing work for people... signup for just one time $49 and a free laptop... I have a feeling the laptop would never arrive and that it was just a total scam! But if I am right, the owners of the site have done this knowing that the laptop is worth far more than $49 and is a great big incentive!
  3. gurudattsinha

gurudattsinha New Member

I also saw a newspaper add from Icash.com to pay 990 rupees for CD to how to earn money with GoogleJunction. Can anybody suggest something regarding this? Is this a fraud site/ad? If yes, pls let me know so that i will not get trapped into it.

Regards

Guru
  4. philena30

philena30 New Member

Do you have a link? I tried Icash.com put got forward to Yeah.com so I don't know which one your talking about. But be careful with those types of sites.
  5. Brian Hayes

Brian Hayes New Member

I would say anyone who is evaluating an MLM opportunity has to look at what it is. They are typically products or services. Someone mentioned losing money on water filters. No disrespect, but how many people are going to wake this morning and say, "Boy, this is the day that I'm going to get a water filter." You have to look at an opportunity and ask yourself, "Is this something I can make money on, month-after-month, year-after-year, without continuously trying to get the same people to purchase the product over and over or attempt to requalify with the company. Our business is services that people absolutely have to have and pay for everymonth. YOu simply cannot do without them.
    Please visit my website below, click the Opportunities tab, watch the "Your future starts now" video, and ask yourself afterwards, "Does it make sense to get paid for services that people are going to use anyway'?
  6. philena30

philena30 New Member

Hi ACN... [​IMG] I joined it, but my health and wellness biz offer services too that people have to pay for each and every month also. And we all need certain products every month... Like soap [​IMG] So it's up to the individual.
  7. Brian Hayes

Brian Hayes New Member

With health and wellness, people have the option of determining if they want to use it. WIth what we do, they have to, absolutely no way around it. Are you an active rep?
  8. philena30

philena30 New Member

no.. not too active, I was waiting for gas and electricity for IL. Then the health and wellness took off more and the family business so I didn't focus on it.
  9. Brian Hayes

Brian Hayes New Member

Why don't you shoot be an e-mail at brianhayes.acninc.net and I'll update you on what's going on? We're moving into New Zealand next month and we have some exciting technology that we've just released. What part of Illinois are you in?
  10. philena30

philena30 New Member

I still get their emails.. I haven't read them in quite some time. Sorry.. after the mess with Scampay and redoin a business plan, I maybe able to get back in the swing of things in April. But I guess I should get my affiliate site like yours on my blog and forum. Oh.. If you want to know where I live.. check the siggy plz. [​IMG]
  11. Mike_Online

Mike_Online New Member

Wow, $5000 lost! I didn't realize that some of the MLM's required such a hefty investment. My wife was in Mary Kay, but that was a fairly good product that she uses to this day. She was able to sell her inventory (at cost) very easily when she decided this was not for her. I dabbled with Amsoil (another good quality product) but decided that "oil" just wasn't that interesting to me. I guess whatever you do, it has to be of interest to you. You have to work hard as well.

And yes, never ever PAY to work for someone! That is the biggest tipoff.
  12. philena30

philena30 New Member

Quoting: Mike_OnlineWow, $5000 lost! I didn't realize that some of the MLM's required such a hefty investment. My wife was in Mary Kay, but that was a fairly good product that she uses to this day. She was able to sell her inventory (at cost) very easily when she decided this was not for her. I dabbled with Amsoil (another good quality product) but decided that "oil" just wasn't that interesting to me. I guess whatever you do, it has to be of interest to you. You have to work hard as well.

Sheeeesh [​IMG] That's really messed up. I couldn't imagine going through that much drama. Everyone has horror story though. I have a few I could name myself, but I'm sure people are tired of hearing scampay. [​IMG]
  13. coreyjroman

coreyjroman Silver Member

Most common money scam I can think of is the "money matrix". You see a lot of these claiming that it was featured on OPRAH and this and that where they aired a story about a boy who made a fortune on a chain letter and hid the money in his closet until his mom found it. Then they give you a legitimacy statement saying that because they offer a made in china plastic kazoo which is an actual product that it makes it completely legal and ask you to join saying that you can make 15,500 dollars in one month... LOL. ...a fool born every minute!
  14. Aegist

Aegist New Member

Some great advice in this thread. I appreciate the links to rip off report and scams.com etc. Its really handy to have that sort of thing in your mind for when you find the next big thing!
  15. jobvisa

jobvisa Guest

I believe that there is a great future of internet marketing but restriction should be imposed against scams otherwise best technological gift in 21st century will loose its importance.

With best regards

Julio Saltos

[Link removed - Admin]
  16. Aegist

Aegist New Member

It is amazing just how prevalent scams our now too...
  17. WealthyWAHM

WealthyWAHM Member

[Previous referenced spam post removed - Admin]

Well, this is a perfect example of an Internet scam now isn't it?[​IMG]
  18. Aegist

Aegist New Member

haha. A perfect example of one...

Now if had $10 that I wanted to throw away today, who shoul i throw that money awat to hhmmm???

nah, not your pyramid scheme today thank you.
  19. philena30

philena30 New Member

LOL.. you can throw it my way.. actually it's $10.50 [​IMG]
  20. cathy_ysh

cathy_ysh New Member

There are indeed many scams for work at home type of business, therefore, I still prefer to create my own product and sell it online. Well, due to time-constrain, we will need to be extra careful and be more selective in choosing the right business opportunities out there. I've joined a paid survey program before, it's rather a bad experience for me... [​IMG]