Identifying Work at Home Scams

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Vishal P. Rao, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Ritu Anand

Ritu Anand Member

Very true. I too have done the reviewing like that and found that in all the companies that I reviewed a few gave good and bad results - mostly good ones.

Others gave bad and good results - mostly bad ones and from that I deduced that I should opt for the ones that had more good results than those that got bad results - which to me had seemed scam like anyway. At the end of the day we need to learn to judge them from what we see or hear of them. [​IMG]
  2. danishk

danishk New Member

While looking for online jobs I was also conned of my time coz at initial stage I joined every site and worked for them, but came to know later that most of them were scams. I loose nothing because scammers made me more wiser.
  3. kellerbrianw

kellerbrianw Member

Over the years, I've developed a thicker, more cynical skin towards business. I've invested in work-at-home "opportunities" that only profited the owner until he went to jail for fraud. I've paid money for so-called FREE "opportunities" that simply took your money and offered no contact number (and the poorest excuse for customer service on the planet).

These days, all you have to do is go to a search engine, type in the company name, and discover what kind of problems/scams await the "buyer". But don't be overly cynical, assuming every business is a scam. Believe me, good companies do exist.

Here's to your success!

Brian
  4. 88Style

88Style New Member

Awesome advice. A few more things:

Payment processing jobs - Process check and money orders for an overseas company. Simply deposit the check in your account and send most of it back. Easy right? Until the bank finds out that the check is fraudulent and your are responsible for the entire amount and can sometimes even be arrested.

Start up fees - You shouldn't have to pay for work. These types of jobs are either a scam or total ripoff.

Extensive personal info - Your boss demanding your passport, social security car, drivers license, etc. scanned should raise red flags. This may very well be someone interested in stealing your identity.
  5. kellerbrianw

kellerbrianw Member

Be wary! Scam artists are now posting on legitimate job search engines. Some list themselves as legitimate companies. Yet, when someone overseas offers to pay you 10% of thousands of dollars for simply cashing a few checks, you need to ask yourself "What kind of fool would do this?" The answer is these scumbags think you are the fool.

Here's to your success!

Brian
  6. 88Style

88Style New Member

Scammers are just as intelligent as entrepreneurs, so yep it's important to be very wary out there. I'll bet there are some scammers who even troll these forums and see what people are saying about them!

The general consensus is that the idea of getting rich quick or making money by doing nothing is generally a scam. You're right, don't be a fool and do your research before signing up with these companies.

Good luck!
  7. Bpete202

Bpete202 New Member

Yeah I definitely agree with a lot of what this is saying though I think a lot of times people misunderstand the word scam and they automatically assume that if you have to pay for it...it's scam. That isn't always the case. A lot of businesses that are work from home require some sort of start up cash in order to get it rolling (in like marketing.. purchasing a domain etc.)...(not survey's or anything of that nature require that obviously but in certain situations money is needed). I think however, it should be about common sense. If you are supposedly doing an actual "job" you shouldn't be paying to do it. And most of these get rich quick schemes and promises of millions only tell you the surface things and going through the system you have to learn what is actually good and not good.
  8. wah101

wah101 New Member

88Style
    I've seen some other comments to this effect, but I want to reiterate ... It is not true that anything requiring payment is a scam. Most work at home opportunities that I come across, and the ones that I use personally are business opportunities. Building a business takes money, and the costs of starting an online business are negligible when compared to the cost of starting a traditional business.
  9. Mikenivez

Mikenivez New Member

I agree with this thread mostly but 1 thing i'd like to add is that i know a few legit opportunities that has an upfront fee, you just have to try to hear the little warning signs when listening to their presentation. What usually rings my alarm is the terms "Buy now it's only for a limited time""It'll only cost you $99.99 free money back guarantee" "Want to make money doing absolutely nothing at the push of a button?" and things similar to that nature. What I learned so far is that no matter what you do online it takes work, if someone claims they make money doing nothing but pushing a button in their lawn chair or whatever its 100% false and they just want your money.
  10. kellerbrianw

kellerbrianw Member

No, not all "business opportunities" are a scam. I use to be affiliated with a company that charged $85 for their kit, which was reimbursed to you after you made your first sale. (This was done to keep the "tire kickers" away!

Still, business opportunities which post as job opportunities deceive the public!

Here's to your success!

Brian
  11. andyjbenson

andyjbenson New Member

One of the best ways to find out if something is legit and if it actually WORKS is to visit the forums and look for "real life" reviews on the opportunity or program.

DONT type into Google "productname - reviews" because all you will get is other affiliates websites who are promoting the product giving THEIR review, which strangely enough will ALWAYS be a glowing one with 5 stars attached!!

Hope that helps.
  12. kellerbrianw

kellerbrianw Member

You know it's a work-at-home scam when the advertiser posts his "scam" as a legitimate job in the employment section when, in fact, it is a poor excuse for a "business opportunity". I don't know about you, but I feel deceived by such tactics.

Here's to your success!

Brian