Independent or Through Wordpress?

Discussion in 'Profit Lance' started by KDMiller55, Feb 12, 2009.

1. KDMiller55

KDMiller55 New Member

I recently acquired a domain (.org) and am having it hosted through Hostgator. In Day 6 of the 30 Day Challenge, Ed talks about using a Hostgator-hosted domain on Wordpress.

Is there any real value to this, or should I remain relatively independent and just use the domain through Hostgator?

I hope I've explained myself clearly enough; my head seems a little foggy this morning. [​IMG]

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I am just getting used to the whole hostgator thing myself and what I see by hosting the wordpress on HG is that you can add so much more to it...

Wordpress is limited to what you can put on your blog if you just use it independently - If I am understanding you correctly anyways.[​IMG]

Besides it doesn't cost anything extra to just host it with HG once you have an account...

But then again, I am a fledgling yet, with HG(hmmm, did I even spell that right?) so hopefully someone else will get back to you here soon as I want to know more about it myself...[​IMG]

edited to fix some more grammar - guess I need some more coffee this morning...

3. JTMx29

JTMx29 New Member

I use Host Gator. You can easily install Wordpress on your site by using the Fantastico installer in the Cpanel of your main site.

4. ericsquest

ericsquest New Member

I would host it on Hostgator. You will be happy you did. You leave yourself so many more options when it comes to modifying your site, adding plugins and adding functionality. I host many Wordpress sites using Hostgator and highly recommend it.

5. Margo Tuul

Margo Tuul New Member

Same here,

Using hostgator for my blog and really happy. Like Eric said...you have so many options, like widgets, plugins, themes and permalinks. What is very important for SEO.

6. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I would host it on hostgator but maybe you would get your site ranked better if you do host it on wordpress.

Tal

7. makemoneyonline

makemoneyonline New Member

Definitely get your own hosting. You have more flexibility with your sites. I'm with Vodahost and never had a problem.

8. carterstory

carterstory New Member

Def use it hosted on an outside server (not wordpress.com), it's more professional #1, and second Wp.com will shut you down if they smell anything commercial.

Trust me you'll want to use that hosting for things later on in your Internet Marketing career. (Capture pages, personal e-mails & More)

9. marialorena

marialorena New Member

I think Wordpress would be beteer for those who are just starting out. Get the gist of what you are doing. Then, after you have updated yourself, you can go independent.

10. lejla

lejla New Member

I am with Hostgator as well and they are great. Support is fantastic and you do not have to worry that somebody will shot your site down if they do not like what you doing.

11. samda

samda Member

If you want to host a blog in the .com you have acquired, wordpress is the best option to use. But if you want to host a static website, you might go with them.