Internet Marketing Legal Issues

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal Advice' started by cardwarrior, Dec 22, 2007.

1. cardwarrior

cardwarrior New Member

Does anybody have any knowledge of the legal issues Internet Marketers face today? Or does anybody know of any manuals dealing with these types of issues?
  2. RavingRich

RavingRich New Member

Internet marketing was as i known .thank u for u confirmation
  3. dmitch31

dmitch31 New Member

Cardwarrior. What types of issues exactly are you thinking of? Are you thinking of ways that you can protect yourself from being sued? I'm not really sure how someone could sue you for placing some advertisements online. Most people don't even know where or who the advertisements come from. Can you be more specific?

Thanks.
  4. pjworker

pjworker New Member

The common legal areas that you should definitely research would be the issues of copyright, trademarks and spam. Other than that, I can't think of any specific issues you would need. Oh, perhaps tax law?
  5. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Copyright and trademark are issues which are common.
  6. opendomain

opendomain New Member

Fraud is also a biggie.

I've not seen any books about the subject.

Internet marketing is kind of like the wild west of business. There are still many areas that are not totally under the thumb of the law.

International marketing for instance. Who is to say where taxes are billed, who is to say what is fraud. What one government sees as illegal another may not. In a way internet marketing is self police by forums such as this one where the word is spread of fraudulent opportunities and products.

If anyone knows of a good book on the topic I would definitely pick one up.
  7. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

In addition to copyright, trademark and spam, here are other areas where legal issues could arise.

Privacy: It's good business practice to publish your policy for handling the personal and financial information that people provide when they subscribe to your newsletter or order your product.

Subscribe/Unsubscribe: If you use an ezine or newsletter signup form on your website, you should always provide a way for people to change their minds and unsubscribe if they want.

Outgoing Links: If you provide outgoing links to websites that you do not control, you should let it be known you're not responsible for the security practices, content and policies of those sites.

Guarantee: In your sales materials, be careful of the language you use to address earnings potential. Don't make absolute statements or guarantees of actual results unless you can support those claims with hard evidence.

Legal Structure: The business structure your use (Proprietorship, Partnership, Corporation, Limited Liability Company) exposes you to different degrees of tax liability and protection of personal assets in case of a lawsuit.

Joint Ventures: A simple written agreement detailing the specifics of your joint venture is a prudent way to protect your interest in a JV arrangement.

Outsourcing: A Non Disclosure Agreement is a smart tool to use when you outsource work to a web designer, programmer or copywriter. You don't want your big idea leaked to the competition, or even claimed by the person doing the work for you.

Hermas
  8. SFerber

SFerber New Member

There is also extra liability if you openly market for a company that allows you to use its Name and Logo in connection to your name. If you make claims and are later sued...YOU personally can be held liable.

Be very careful there.