ironing from home

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Louise, Sep 25, 2005.

1. WARRANTIES4LESS New Member

alistinker: Do you think with the recession that there is still a demand for this kind of service? I have my flyers and door hangers ready to market but i am holding back because I am not sure if it will be worth my while? Is anyone actually doing this business and still doing well? Would love to hear from you if you are. I just need some encouragement and confidence. Surely there are still people out there looking for domestic help. Could you email me at
    [email protected]
    thanks
    sharon

Hi Sharon,

The biggest mistake you can make is not to test your market with your flyers and door hangers. Don't let others make your decision, you had the dream, now go for it, there is no shame in failing, but their is shame in not trying.

Markets are fickle, you never know from area to area, so unitil you test market your concept in your own area, you can't know for sure one way or another. We know the recession is altering peoples buying patterns, but with more dual income families, this may indeed increase the demand for your services.

Go for it, Mike
  2. daveshouse New Member

Hi Louise,

I think you would do well with this, especially if you live in a major city.
  3. AsaDG New Member

This is a great idea!

I would charge by piece simply because I would rather buy that service... Maybe that's just me, but I wouldn't trust that people didn't charge me a bit extra if it was by the hour!

Good luck!
  4. Phil Stones New Member

hypercybertyper: Please do my ironing for me! I would send it to Australia if I had to. I think a simple advert in your local newspaper's classified section would be all you would require... or maybe a few business cards and flyers. I HATE IRONING... if your business does not take off... come and live at my house and I will find you some more customers from my local area.

Ha Ha - I know what you mean - a friend of mine does this - again like has been said - mostly word of mouth - but why not think of some other angles you could offer - mum to mum - babysitting - cleaning - errands - typing etc - don't just restrict yourself to ironing ! Good Luck let us know how you get on!
  5. Julie E New Member

alistinker: Also what advertising do you do...if any? I have the website, going to advertise on my truck and going to put some flyers out.

I would go to your local park and ride lots, or other carpool meeting places and put flyers/postcards on the cars that are parked there. It seems that many "executives" would carpool into a big city and would not have time to iron.

You may also try a train or bus stop if you have one that execs take to the city.

You may ask to distribute flyers to law offices, courtrooms etc. Think of places where people are "dressed up" on a regular basis.
  6. harleyzmom New Member

I have been ironing from home for about 2 years now and enjoy the flexibility. I do not get rich, but I am able to make some extra money. I went to local cleaners and got their prices and then charged a little less. I have some very good constant customers. I do pick up and deliver, but I do it when I have errands to run or are in their area and I call them. People are very flexible and willing to accomodate your schedule to get their clothes delivered. I charge extra for spray starch depending on the size of load and I do not iron a piece of clothing for less than $1.00.I had a sign made and put it out in my front yard and have gotten several customers this way. Most has been by word of mouth. People hate to iron and I love to iron. It works for me. Good luck.
    Pam
  7. Defn28 New Member

HI,

I'm considering doing this myself so did loads of research. I found that companies charge around ??5 per kilo for ironing, it would be best to pick up/deliver and there is a great website i found that can provide you with a complete starter kit which contains coat hangers, clothes sleeves, industrial irons/boards, your own website and loads of other essentials you probably will never think of until you need them.

i love ironing and find it theraputic and you're probably the same if you want to start this type of thing and i agree with other posts... people HATE ironing and usually dont mind paying, expecially if they (and partner if applicable) work full-time/have kids etc.

my advice would be to keep everything simple. Keep your charges real and upfront, be friendly and reliable and don't make promsies you can't keep.

get some leaflets printed and put them through doors. Make sure you put them through the doors of wealthier-looking people as these are more likely to be professionals who can afford to have someone iron their clothes.

Good luck [IMG]