Is an information website a doable business?

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by joeat, Dec 31, 2011.

1. joeat

joeat New Member

I have an idea rolling around in my little mind to create a website with SBI about the area that I live. It is one of America's greatest playgrounds, or at least I think so, and the primary income is tourism. In an area of about 24,000 square miles you can site see, hike, camp, wildlife view, fish (for multiple different species), and hunt. There is a lifetime of unlimited things to do and see all from my front door, from 5 minutes to 1.5 hours away. I think I could create pages of information, on the things I've done and will do.

Where I work there are a lot of travelers that come through and even though I have only lived here for 4 years, I have become known as the one to talk to. I know when you can fish what, where to go to target a specific fish and if it is the right time, where you can go to see bears (and when), what trails to hike, what is the best place to camp (based on what you want to do, everything from wilderness to the hwy system), what's great for kids etc. I am a walking encyclopedia of the area. I find this kind of funny, being here only 4 years and others living here their whole life, I know the area at much greater lengths than they do and they always say go see Joe. I walk in from a few days off and I'm met by: You are the guy I need to talk to (lol).

I guess what I'm getting at is this something you think a web based business can be wrapped around? I am more than willing to put the time and work into it and get the information out of my head and onto paper, to say. I just don't see how a bunch of information can create income. Maybe that is where SBI comes in, esp. since I don't have the internet/computer background. Another quick question, am I on the right track going with SBI?

I kind of stumble across this forum and think I have found a gold mine...

Thanks for your time,
    Joe

P.S. Sorry if this has been asked and hammered out before.

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I love SBI for that very reason. My best moneymaker website is an information site.

If you have looked at SBI at all, you will find that Ken's daughter built a very successful information site on Anguilla. He uses it a lot to teach how SBI works, what to do etc, so I think you will find that intriguing!

Here's what will happen as you build your site... as you build pages and visitors start coming to your site, you can add adsense. ( right now that is my main income from my info sites) BUT that isn't the only way to generate income as you will find when you learn about Nori's Anguilla site...

So go ahead - start with SBI ( they have a 90 day money back guarantee so you can't lose) I think you'll like it. [​IMG]

People LOVE sites just like what you are talking about. When my son and new wife wanted to go to a specific place in Mexico, they LOVED every site they came across that was full of information on it.

If you trust me enough to pm me a few keywords of the area you are in, I will give you an idea on what adsense can or would do for you.

3. mbasa

mbasa Member

SBI is the perfect platform for information sites - the nice thing is that they will even show you how to monetize the site so you don't have worry much about that aspect.

4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

joeat: I guess what I'm getting at is this something you think a web based business can be wrapped around?
    Yes! Definitely! I see 2 very important components that could be parlayed into a successful enterprise:

1. An existing product - one of America's greatest playgrounds for the outdoors type.
    2. You - the acknowledged "walking encyclopedia" and local area expert.

joeat: I just don't see how a bunch of information can create income.
    You have the information people need about a popular outdoors destination in America. A website would allow you to share your vast reservoir of knowledge with thousands more people and expand your already growing expert reputation.

You could position the site to become the default place people go to for ideas, guidance and suggestions about fun things to do in your neck of the woods.

The huge traffic flow that you eventually generate could become the basis for charging area vendors, restaurants and other operators to advertise on your site. That traffic could also earn you some decent AdSense revenue from Google.

You could create and giveaway (or sell) an ebook about "21 Fun-Filled Things to Do in YOUR AREA", for example. Those 21 things could be activities you have done yourself, or simply 21 interesting places and/or activities you select and highlight.

You could also display short video clips about the area trails, campgrounds, fishing, children activities and stuff like that. The possibilities are endless.

joeat: Maybe that is where SBI comes in, esp. since I don't have the internet/computer background. Another quick question, am I on the right track going with SBI?
    MountainMom5 and HappyWife are our resident SBI experts. They can teach you everything you need to know about setting up and managing a profitable SBI website.

And I'm sure they'll be happy to let you pick their brains! [​IMG]

Hermas

5. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Joe,

As the others have said, information sites are wonderful avenues for generating income. I know it's hard to wrap your mind around how simply providing information can turn into income.

The information is your foundation. People are searching for information when they come online. It might be information about a product, about a service, about a health condition, about a place, about a hobby, etc. But the bottom line is that they are seeking information.

Once you have provided the information that people are searching for on your particular topic, you then have multiple opportunities to monetize those visitors.

Yes, you can sell advertising on your site to local businesses (which can be very good money), you can also use Google Adsense for other advertising income, you can create digital products (ebooks/guides) as Hermas suggested, you could even offer your own services (consulting or tour guide) if you wanted to be that personally involved.

You can also develop affiliate relationships with companies that will earn you commissions when your visitors purchase some product or service related to your niche.

These are just some of the most common ways to monetize an information website. It all starts with the content that you provide. You can tell that you have a real love and passion for all the great options that your local area provides, so you will be able to engage your audience by letting that love and enthusiasm shine through when you write about your topic.

I would definitely use SBI to get you going because their site building program is designed to help you get the most success out of an information site.

Now you've got me soooo curious as to where you are located. My hubby is the kind of guy who would absolutely love that type of area, too. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie

6. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

You'll have to come by and show us your site then Joe, once you get it going. [​IMG]

7. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

An information website on the Information Highway. Sounds like a winner in the works.

8. joeat

joeat New Member

Thanks guys for the information. I feel like I'm on the right track now. Just got to put it all together.
    Thanks,
    Joe

9. nevets109

nevets109 Guest

joeat
    Hi

What does SBI stand for?

Steve

10. happywife

happywife Gold Member

nevets109: What does SBI stand for?
    Hi Steve,

SBI stands for SiteBuildIt, which is an all-inclusive website business building program. It's the program that some of us have used to learn and create an online business by building a niche website around a subject of personal interest.

Blessings,
    Angie

11. Antosgirl

Antosgirl New Member

I'm a new mom, and I am finding doing an informational website about all the things I was googling is profitable. The little things that I have found helpful are linked to Amazon. Books on the subjects I wanted to read are linked to the Ebooks.

I think the most difficult thing is finding what you're really care about. Then the research and effort you put in, doesn't feel like work. And that's important since it does require so much time to get started!

Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life!