Is Facebook a Waste of Your Time?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by BuyYourOwnHouse, Jun 7, 2013.

1. BuyYourOwnHouse

BuyYourOwnHouse New Member

Interesting article came out the other day:

http://socialmediatoday.com/jgibbard/1506781/facebook-marketing-waste-of-time

I have almost 800 likes on one page, and for most posts, it only "reaches" 25% of them organically (or so FB tells me). So, do you think, as the author ascertains, that FB is a waste of time? Or do you think he's just bad at writing content that encourages engagement?

How much validity do you put in reach? And do you consider FB a good use of your marketing time?

Personally, there's plenty of pages that I never like or comment on, but they keep showing up in my newsfeed. Makes me wonder if FB's stats are correct at all. How do you weigh in on this?

2. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I think Social media Marketing is an important part of any Internet Marketing Plan. Social Media is a great way to get quality targeted traffic to your sites and blogs. But it does take some time and networking for it to be effective.

3. BuyYourOwnHouse

BuyYourOwnHouse New Member

Of course social media is important, but not all social media is created equal, which I think was the article writer's point. There's lots of different forms of social media (Twitter, You Tube, Google+, etc.) - so the question remains - do you think Facebook specifically is worth it due to their complicated "reach" algorithms, engagement rules, etc.

4. CRIPLEY

CRIPLEY Member

@BuyYourOwnHouse I have almost 800 likes on one page, and for most posts, it only "reaches" 25% of them organically (or so FB tells me). So, do you think, as the author ascertains, that FB is a waste of time? Or do you think he's just bad at writing content that encourages engagement?

How much validity do you put in reach? And do you consider FB a good use of your marketing time?

Personally, there's plenty of pages that I never like or comment on, but they keep showing up in my newsfeed. Makes me wonder if FB's stats are correct at all. How do you weigh in on this?[/quote] FB is a very good media. When using it for a marketing tool let people see what you are really about. Hope-Dreams and what you can do for them.

[Post edited. Please stop quoting entire post - Admin]

5. Aron Prins

Aron Prins New Member

Hey BuyYourOwnHouse!

I think I can shed some light on this problem.
    Facebook is currently pushing page owners to start creating Ads promoting their pages or posts.

If you visit any page you've liked and rollover the "Like" button in the Cover Photo, you'll see the option to "Show Items in Newsfeed".

Facebook turns this OFF automatically these days, to push those Page owners to start creating more reach.
    A trick might be to add this trick I just showed you visually in your Cover Photo, that way users are more likely to check this settings and if de-checked to check it!

Hope this helps in your marketing business!
    Cheers,
    Aron Prins

6. Khoa Nuyen

Khoa Nuyen New Member

Anyone who doesn't take FB seriously and the opportunity if offers in marketing (paid and free) is not looking at the big picture. Just like anything, however, it will take several tries before you can expect to get a good ROI.

7. swampqueen32

swampqueen32 Member

I think Facebook offers us the opportunity to stop relying on Google.
    Social media appears to rapidly become THE WAY to go! I've had people visit my site from my FB page. My stats aren't the greatest in the world...yet...but I value the fact that I wouldn't have had these visitors if not for FB.

:D

8. CubicleBob

CubicleBob Member

Hi,
    I held out creating a facebook page for my online business until about a week ago. I use Twitter and Pinterest but thought that I'd give facebook a shot since this is the one social media outlet that my kids use and I just know so many people who love it and use it religiously.

I am very interested in the best way to utilize facebook for my business so I'm on the lookout for a really good ebook or hardcover book on using facebook for business. If I was reading this a year from now I may be able to pipe in and answer your question with some experience. I just hope it helps get the word out about my site. Thanks for the link you provide. It should be a good read.

9. STONE1985

STONE1985 New Member

+1

10. alex richardson

alex richardson New Member

Hmmmm, in my opinion, due to the niches I target, I would take hundreds of twitter accounts over 1 fb account anyday.

FB is ok, the audience is a little robotic and a lot of the people on it have one just because they should, twitter on the other hand have a nice, active userbase and the CTR tends to be much higher through twitter than any other social network - including G+

11. Aron Prins

Aron Prins New Member

Very interesting point Alex! Ill look into the twitters some more :)

Cheers,
    Aron Prins

12. HomeGigz

HomeGigz New Member

As a marketer, I must remember that I need to have my product represented wherever my target audience is interacting. So my first question to answer in response to the article is, "what's my objective?" followed by question #2: "where is my audience".

If my objective is simply to obtain more LIKES to my page because I believe my audience is on Facebook, then:
    1. Yes, I need to advertise on Facebook and direct potential users to my product's page
    2. Then, I need to make sure my the LIKES are immediately engaged when they arrive. In order to get the new users to LIKE my posts and COMMENT on my posts, it's my responsibility to make sure I have posts uploaded that gets them talking and keeps them coming back to LIKE and to SHARE.

If my objective is simply to drive more sales, I'd rather promote my product on its own website platform (one I can own, like WordPress) rather than another 3rd party level like Facebook, which can change their algorithm twice today at their will. In this case, I'd rather use Facebook as an advertising channel to direct users to my website product page (selecting OPTIMIZE my ad in order to increase impressions and qualified click throughs at a average of $0.35-$45/click).

Then when I have them on my own website, I can get them legitimately engaged by offering a special free download in exchange for their email address, which is much more valuable in my opinion than their choosing to LIKE my product on Facebook.

Just my two cents.....
    :)

13. Rhianna

Rhianna New Member

I agree, social media is very important, it's a great way to share your products with people that know and trust you, word of mouth can be very powerful!

14. whitney black

whitney black Member

Nothing that actually reaches human eyeballs is a waste of time. IT's true that the reach isn't very good on FB, but it's still and effect way to get your message seen. Although I would recommend Twitter over Facebook.