Is it legal to put fliers in mailboxes?

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal Advice' started by Marktech, Jan 26, 2008.

1. steelpaulo

steelpaulo New Member

My offline business we taped the flyers to the door or the fence but we got calls from customers irate at the "junk" my guys left so we quit doing it.
    You really need face to face contact , try joining some local groups of any kind that put you into proximity with people.
    Do you have children?
    PTA
    Like to bowl, hunt, what ever interest you put yourself out there and meet people. Google "civic groups" YOUR HOME TOWN
    and you will get a list of clubs and organizations.

2. JanHickling

JanHickling New Member

YES !! It is a federal offense! I found this out passing out flyers for a neighborhood bar-b-q. Can you imagine one of them reported me to the police. I can joke about it now but it really is a very big deal.

ps - I don't think they bring in much business either.

Jan Hickling

3. success9

success9 New Member

When I was in the lawn care business and the 911 sign business, my wife and I would put out thousands of flyers. I would drive and my wife would put the flyer between the flag and the mailbox. You aren't allowed to put anything inside the mailbox. I know in my Pittsburgh pa area you wasn't allowed to even put anything on the pole of the mailbox but that changed. When we first started to put the flyers out, over 10 years a go, we would run into all kind of problems. When we were putting one flyer on the mailbox the postman came up to us and told us we aren't allowed. He was very rude. I just told him to check again because we were allowed as long as we didn't put the flyer in the mailbox. Well, I guess he didn't like my response because he must of reported us and the next day we got a call from the postmaster that we aren't allowed to place flyers in the mailbox of course I told him we didn't put the flyer in the mailbox but in between the flag and the box. We received a call from a local police department saying we aren't allowed to put flyers on telephone poles and of course we did not put a flyer on the pole. We also received calls from people saying we are littering, etc, etc. I would say we received maybe 5 complaints from people out of thousands we put out. Of course you will always have people complaining about something. We did get sales and I built my lawn care of to about 60 customers in 2 years. I would put flyres out again depending what I would market. I would test at least 1,000 flyers and see what happens.

Dave

4. katereber

katereber New Member

Mailing flyers can be expensive for small business who want to advertise their services. To avoid postal costs, many local advertisers would rather place flyers in mailboxes. However, there are laws you have to consider before doing so.

for more info, visit the website below.

Read more: Is it Legal to Put Flyers in Mailboxes? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5723851_legal-put-flyers-mailboxes_.html#ixzz1L150cIh4

5. portia61

portia61 New Member

I used to work for the post office. And no is not legal, to place anything that has not have US postal postage. We were always to take out of mailbox and toss out or send out a letter to the customer and let them know how much postage was owed on what was found in the mail pieces that were picked up. So it would be a waste of money for you. Nothing wrong with hiring a few teenagers to tape on the front door for some summer change.

6. Djkittie73

Djkittie73 New Member

Interesting... Everyone has such great thoughts and ideas. I just recently started selling and have touched mailboxes... Lol. But I never touch mail in it... Im sorry. But, really???

Anyway, I'm someone that will analyze and break down everything to the simple solution. Lol. And in this case, I have a very good point.

You see... Who's property is that mailbox... Really now??? Did the USPS pay for that box or the landowner/homeowner? In my opinion, the "Federal Property" is the mail that goes in that box. I have seen people buying their mailbox at Home Depot. And the developer puts mailboxes in when homes are built. We pay the post office a service to transport mail from point A to point B. We pay that postage. Well, if I want to use my gas and my car to deliver "mail" I am saving that postage by doing it myself... The Federal Law should be illegal to tamper with homeowner's "mail" in their box. It's a silly law if the post office thinks they own that box I bought at Home Depot... lol

I'm with the other countries that allow it... I mean, really... As long as a person doesn't tamper with my mail, I don't care if I see someone putting something IN a box... As long as they aren't taking out... I have bags to hang on the outside, but this is so I can use a bag with the books, samples, etc... My personal touch with touching their personal... Hehe

7. Djkittie73

Djkittie73 New Member

Oh, forgot... Why should the government feel as though they need to control everything? LOL. What I mean is, what is so bad? There is UPS and FEDEX that deliver "mail" and they leave at the porch I paid for... So, really now... I'm my own delivery service leaving it on the homeowner's property... Right? Hehe

8. printisnotdead

printisnotdead New Member

Don't put the flyers in the mailbox, and if you can help it, don't just leave the flyers. Talking to people and creating a relationship will generate more business than just giving them another piece of paper to recycle. If you want to put something in people's mail box, do a direct mail marketing campaign.

9. positivemagic

positivemagic New Member

I wonder if that would work in my county. If I put a sign on my mail box saying "no junk mail". How about putting a sign that says "no bills"? lol [​IMG]

10. MusicalMan

MusicalMan New Member

getagrip: That's why you use the mailbox post or the door handle (of the house) - neither are considered Federal property, but when in dout, you can always check with the post office.
    I was in doubt, so I checked. Nope, even the POST is illegal and can draw you a huge fine (if reported/enforced).

The USPS Domestic Mail Manual states that "no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items of matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle." In other words, the mailbox may not be used for anything other than for pieces of mail with postage attached. The USPS Domestic Mail Manual goes on to states that it is a federal offense and there is a significant penalty for violating this law.

11. Kyle_K

Kyle_K Member

printisnotdead: If you want to put something in people's mail box, do a direct mail marketing campaign.
    This is good advice. It is something I have been considering.

12. MusicalMan

MusicalMan New Member

@Kyle K. - I don't know what your product or service is, but I think someone above mentioned a "targeted" direct mailing. Unless your product is something with a near-universal appeal (like fast food), the target approach makes much more sense (usually done by demographics for a particular ZIP code, mailing lists of people with certain interests, etc.) For example, if you have a business in lawn mowing or home repair, you don't want to waste money mailing to an area that is primarily apartment dwellers; if you're selling a high-end product or service, it's a waste to market to low-income areas, etc.

I've been out of the marketing business for a couple decades, but it used to be a 1-3% response on a direct mail piece was "good" but now I imagine with the bombardment of 'junk mail' (not to mention e-mail Spam, pop-ups, etc.) people are probably much more jaded and the rate is even lower. So count the cost before you do the mailing and ask yourself whether it will be cost effective (in new or eventual repeat business) if you are only able to convert, say 1/2 or 1% of your mailings to actual customers.

Good luck!

13. Marco Casario

Marco Casario New Member

Leave them on car windshields, I have a box in the trunk of my car with such...whenever I'm nowhere near a computer nor a smart phone, I have always turned to searching through the box. They also come in handy for wrapping, wiping and other stuff...environmentally friendly too...

14. love

love New Member

Not legal in the USA, but not likely going to get any pressure if you do, as long as you are placing and not taking. The proper way, as noted, is to place it outside the mailbox.

The bigger issue is your targeted market. If the flyers are not really something attractive to the resident then you would be better served putting your energies into other targeted marketing methods.

15. BuyYourOwnHouse

BuyYourOwnHouse New Member

It's not illegal to leave a post it note (you can get 4000 printed at Office Depot for about $200) or your business card on someone's front door, both of which can have your name, contact info, and a short message to the owner.

All of these options (flyers included) are labor intensive. If your real goal is to get something in their mailbox, then do it legally by employing a "yellow letter" company, like http://yellowletterscomplete.com or https://click2mail.com/.

16. MarieA73

MarieA73 Member

It's not simply that it is illegal; it is. It has limited effectiveness - better than nothing, but maybe not better than the headaches you will receive when someone complains, or, God forbid, they have mail stolen, like a credit card statement or something, and you have admitted to opening their mailbox. BAD BAD BAD. So, I'd stay away.