Is the forum loading slow?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Vishal P. Rao, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

I just moved to a different host (VPS) and the forum appears bit slower to me. Not sure whether it's due to network problems between my place and the server as the tech guys seem to tell me that the forum is loading fast at their end.

Do you people find any noticeable difference in load times?

2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

It's loading as fast as it always did for me. [​IMG]

Hermas

3. Vishal P. Rao

Thanks Hermas! You are awake and online at this time?

4. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

It was way slow for me yesterday but is up to speed now.
    I think it was a net thing because other sites were off too.
    Even had FaceBook not connect when Google was loading fine.
    Other times my photos weren't showing on FaceBook, just text.

5. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Yuuuuup,

The forum loads as usual for me Vishal.

6. Vishal P. Rao

7. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Hmm, wonder if this had anything to do with it (assuming a one day date variance)
    "But what had apparently gone unnoticed up until this incident, at least in Western media, was the severance of three other submarine communications cables further north in the Red Sea on 17 February. The three cables in question were the Eastern Africa Submarine Cable System (EASSy), the Europe India Gateway (EIG) and the South East Asia Middle East Western Europe-3 (SEA-ME-WE-3)."

8. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Just2EZ: Hmm, wonder if this had anything to do with it (assuming a one day date variance)
    I heard about those communications cables being severed.
    Interesting speculation.
    Who knows... for every action there is supposed to be an equal and opposite reaction.

Hermas

9. Kyle_K

Kyle_K Member

Works great!

10. Vishal P. Rao

Just2EZ: Hmm, wonder if this had anything to do with it (assuming a one day date variance)
    No Jimmy, I don't think that was the case. It was something to do with the PHP module. First it was running through Apache module. The scripts took lot of time to load then (over 3 seconds). Then I changed it to Fastcgi. The speed difference was immediately noticeable. The pages started loading under 0.5 seconds then.

11. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Vishal P. Rao: Then I changed it to Fastcgi.
    Thanks, that's good info to have in case anyone has the problem in the future.
    (Now it's indexed in case someone searches "scripts", "Apache", or "FastCGI".)
    Still think my problems with other sites that day were due to packet re-routing.

12. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

There was once a time, not too long ago, when ordinary humans weren't ever that concerned about the difference between 3 seconds and under 0.5 seconds.

Oh, how life has changed! [​IMG]

Hermas

13. Vishal P. Rao

A8ch: There was once a time, not too long ago, when ordinary humans weren't ever that concerned about the difference between 3 seconds and under 0.5 seconds.

Oh, how life has changed!
    Yes that's really something worth contemplating. I think it's time to slow down and smell the roses!

14. Vishal P. Rao

Update:

I recently go this email from my server support:

On further checking, I found that the PHP handler running in your server is CGI. This method is neither fast nor secure, regardless of whether or not suEXEC is enabled.

It will be better to change the PHP handler to suPHP in your server.

So I have changed it to suPHP now and the speed seems to be good.