Is the Glass half empty or half full?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by ironoutthegrind, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Do you view the glass as half empty or half full? Which one are you? What does this mean to you? What is your attitude and perspective to how you look at things? Do you have a positive attitude or a negative one? Do you see opportunity or a waste of time?

This can be viewed in so many ways. How do you view this and what are your thoughts? :)
    payment proof likes this.
  2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Even if it is only one drop left it is a positive,
    If it is empty then at least I have a glass to fill.
    I am thankful for even the tiniest drop.
  3. Just2EZ - This is a great way to look at it. I like how you said, "If it is empty then at least I have a glass to fill." This is the attitude needed to be successful. Create something out of nothing! Create a Vision, develop a plan of action, follow through with it and reach your goals. Never Give UP and Fill Your Glass! :)
    Just2EZ likes this.
  4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

For me the glass is always half full. A glass is a container and a container's function is to contain something. Of course that something is going to be consumed eventually, but only so that room can be made to accommodate more of the same, or a different something.

When you apply that metaphor to life as a positive attitude, it automatically sets into motion a chain of events that conspire to materialize whatever it is that drives the positive attitude in the first place.

Your focus deepens, your insight becomes sharper, your entire nervous system is alert for the slightest hint of any and everything that might assist you. It's a self-perpetuating process that often has positive results beyond your expectations.

The half-empty-glass perspective operates in exactly the same manner, except that the results are usually at the opposite end of the positive spectrum.

Hermas
  5. Hermas - This is a very fascinating way to look at this and I completely agree. Having a positive attitude is vital to success and it sets the tone for everything. We choose and are in control of how we look at things and the events that occur. When you have a positive attitude it shows in everything you do and tends to attract positive people and good things tend to happen.
    As you mentioned above, "It's a self-perpetuating process that often has positive results beyond your expectations." This is so true! :)
  6. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I view it both ways. If the glass is half full, it is still half empty, and there are things I can do to fill it even more. :)
    ironoutthegrind likes this.
  7. Future Kid

Future Kid New Member

Sometimes when my motivation is going back and forth between courage (glass half-full) and discourage (glass half-empty), I just tell myself: "It's a glass with water in it filled up to the middle." Just that thought right there keeps my mind grounded because I'm just stating a fact. It's kind of a non-judgmental "it is what it is" view point. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't always think like that. I'm more of the glass half full type person but there are times when thinking that way is kind of like hitting a reset button. (This is my first forum post everyone, don't be too rough on me!);)
    ironoutthegrind likes this.
  8. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Thanks and I appreciate the like. I always try to keep a positive attitude. :)
  9. Thank You so much for the reply. Great Post! :)
  10. Shane1234

Shane1234 New Member

Always half full. I look at it as being half way to the top!
  11. UniqueB

UniqueB New Member

Half FULL! without that other half, you'd be empty. So you're almost there :)
  12. It's always full :)