Is this a good idea

Discussion in 'Profit Lance' started by daellis99, Jan 16, 2009.

1. daellis99

daellis99 New Member

After looking at PL for a while and getting all the info I could I was still confused. After reading this post I have come up with a game plan. I have found a niche that I am pretty comfortable with. I did a little research and found keywords that has a moderate amount of searches with little competition. I looked up a domain name and found one that was very close to the actual keyword. My plan is to build website around that niche ( I am using Dreamweaver)with maybe one or two clickbank ads ( on the same subject) and adsense. Then use the PL methods to drive traffic to that site. I plan on doing this once every week or every other week depending on how busy I am. My question is this a good way to do it? Am I missing a step?
  2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Your basic plan is sound, but a few of the details are sketchy.

Keyword research - check.

Good domain name - check.

Monetization options - check.

Drive traffic - check? Not sure which methods you are specifically referring to.

"Doing this" once every week or so? Doing what? Adding a new page to your niche site? Starting a whole new site?

If you are talking about adding new content pages to your niche site, then yes, you should do that at least once a week if possible. The more often you add content, the better.

If you are referring to building new sites every other week, that may not be so good a plan. A thriving successful site takes time and effort to build and maintain. You'd be better off concentrating on one site until it is firmly established before spreading yourself too thin.

That's just my opinion, of course, but I've got 4 sites (built over a 2 year period) and it is a LOT of work! [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  3. daellis99

daellis99 New Member

I was thinking of doing a new sight but you are when you say add more to the existing site and get that established so I will go that route.

As far as the methods I was going to use Blog posting, article writing, forum etc. The free methods
  4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

I think you'll be more successful that way in the long run. Still, you need to go into this knowing that you are likely going to take a while to start making money. Don't set unrealistic expectations in the beginning so you don't get discouraged and quit.

Those free methods will work well to give you back links to your site. That's what I use and I have never paid for advertising.

You don't need to spend a huge amount of time getting backlinks, especially in the beginning. If you build your site correctly, most of your traffic will come from the search engines, rather than traffic from the link sources.

Sure, I do get traffic from the forums I post in and blogs I comment on, etc., but that is only a tiny percentage of my traffic. The benefit of these links is that they give you credibility in the search engines and they will raise your rankings and help you get more search engine traffic.

Have you studied the proper use of keywords on your pages and in your meta tags, etc.? You want to be sure you get that right to have the best possible chances of success.

Blessings,
    Angie
  5. daellis99

daellis99 New Member

well I read somewhere that it is wise to put the keywords in once every paragraph. I am still learning about meta tags
  6. happywife

happywife Gold Member

No, that's going to be way too often unless you have really long paragraphs, which is an equally bad idea. Keep your paragraphs short so it's easier on the eye.

Build each page around one main keyword phrase and 2-3 secondary supporting phrases.

In the tags - put the main keyword in the Title, Description, and Keywords tags (put the secondary phrases in the keywords tag, too).

On the actual page, you should include the Main keyword phrase in the Heading, First Sentence, in a Text Link, and near the End of the page.

After that, it depends on the length of the page. If you use the phrase too often, that's frowned upon by the search engines and you can do yourself more harm than good.

I don't have an exact formula to offer you, but I'd guess maybe once every 150-200 words or so.

The site building program I use has an inbuilt AnalyzeIt tool that checks to make sure I use the keyword in all the right places and not too little or too much. I have a 'feel' for it now, and usually get it right the first time, but I've never counted out exactly the ratio.

There is a free Affiliate Masters Course ebook on my site that would probably help you do the actual "building" part of your site. The "Day 6" section covers the actual building of the pages using the right keyword placement etc. (It's around page 100). Feel free to download it if you're interested.

Blessings,
    Angie
  7. daellis99

daellis99 New Member

Thank you. The course looks interesting and I am going to download it and read it thoroughly. thanks for all your help.
  8. happywife

happywife Gold Member

You're quite welcome any time. [​IMG]
  9. daellis99

daellis99 New Member

happywife,

I was looking at your sites and they look very good. How long did it take for you to build them up?
  10. happywife

happywife Gold Member

daellis99: happywife,

I was looking at your sites and they look very good. How long did it take for you to build them up?

Thanks! [​IMG]

Well, I started my first site chocolate-candy-mall.com 2 years ago (Dec. 2006). I worked on it steadily for about 8 months. I then took a month off (visiting family).

When I got back home I started my second site auto-insurance-helper.com (Sept 2007). I was planning to work on that one (while maintaining my chocolate site) for 9 months before starting my 3rd site, but something came up and I needed to start the 3rd one earlier than planned after only 4 months.

I started allaboutparasites.com in (Jan. 2008), so it is a year old this week.

Finally, I started angieberg.com last month. I had the domain parked for a while, but I've just gotten around to starting it.

The truth is, I've got my hands full with those 4 sites. Depending on how quickly you work, I think it takes a good 6 months of research and building to get a site firmly established. Even after that, you want to continue to add good content regularly to keep it growing and ranking better and better.

Some people have more or less time to spend on their online business, so it really does vary from person to person and niche to niche.

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure I've neglected to do some things that I really should have spent more time on, but I'm pretty happy with the way my online business is progressing. I don't think I'll be adding any more sites to my portfolio for at least another year.

I really need to concentrate on the ones I have. There is absolutely no reason why those sites won't bring me in plenty of full time income for the foreseeable future if I continue to do what I'm doing.

Blessings,
    Angie
  11. KDMiller55

KDMiller55 New Member

happywife: Well, I started my first site chocolate-candy-mall.com 2 years ago (Dec. 2006). I worked on it steadily for about 8 months. I then took a month off (visiting family).

The family was in the same house as you?!?!

Wow -- you do work hard! [​IMG]
  12. happywife

happywife Gold Member

KDMiller55: The family was in the same house as you?!?!

Wow -- you do work hard!

[​IMG] No! My husband and I are doing mission work in Australia, and my family is all in the US. I took a month off to go to the States and visit the family. I didn't really have computer access there (or inclination to spend time on it if I did). [​IMG]