Ive got a website(in the making) a domain and hosting, now i need...

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Aaron, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Aaron

Aaron New Member

AN IDEA!!! Kind of rough when you're an audio engineer / musician and all you know is music. What do you guys suggest i do? I don't want to go too crazy. I just want a small niche 1 -2 page website that generates "OK" to "MODERATE" traffic and income. Not exactly positive what interests are spiked for this month. It will be quite hard to write about things i do not exactly know about unless there are other solutions? What do you think?

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Welcome Aaron! There are a ton of things you can write about I am sure.. :) All you need to do is get the right juices flowing. lol

But you won't get anywhere with a 1-2 page website, unless you have a lot of money to throw at advertising and even then, you won't get anywhere unless you know what you are doing with paid advertising. Not trying to be a naysayer here, just being realistic.

I think for most of us, getting traffic is the challenging part and writing is the easy part....

You might want to go thru a course ( there are some great free ones if you browse around the forum a bit) to get some idea of what route you want to take on building a site. ( you can build sites for free or you can pay to use a program like SBI etc) and as you do that, you will get some 'writing ideas' , I am sure! :)

3. Laura Burke

Laura Burke New Member

WordPress is an excellent option - it's not terribly difficult to learn. Find an angle within music to write about (a niche), and you'll find it's enjoyable to create content for your site.

4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Welcome to the forum, Aaron!

According to how I understand your post, you have already secured a domain and hosting. If that's the case then I fear you may have unwittingly put the cart before the horse and placed yourself in a sticky situation with your Ready... Fire... Aim approach.

The tradition approach would be to come up with an idea first, explore and research the possibilities to see whether or not it is viable, and then proceed to acquiring a suitable domain name. You'd be in a much better position to choose one that is relevant and niche specific.

That may be your answer! You are a musician with skills in audio engineering. Play to your strength (pardon the pun) and create something that incorporates those abilities. You could consider writing about and/or developing 'How To' video courses on:

- playing your musical instrument
    - creating music beats
    - session recording
    - mixing
    - audio post production
    - MIDI
    - developing a discerning ear

If you start with what you know and enjoy, you'll be more likely to stick with it because it's fun. Food for thought.

Hermas

payment proof likes this.
  5. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hermas has hit the nail directly on the head for you, Aaron! ;) Use what you know. No doubt there are tons of searches daily by people looking for info on what, to you, is second nature by now. Share your knowledge and make money doing it.

MM5 has also pointed out the "truth" about a 2 page website. Sorry!

You definitely have to re-think your options and start at the beginning instead of backtracking if you want this to work for you. You no doubt have the potential to build a successful online business, you simply need to follow the process correctly.

Blessings,
    Angie

6. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I agree. Hermas made a great post and gave you a lot of ideas.

The hardest part about generating content is getting started.

7. Aaron

Aaron New Member

you guys are great, thank so you much!! Lots of useful information on these forums

8. Aaron

Aaron New Member

Ok so this is my site as of now. http://www.tapewave.com Everything you see will be stripped completely except for the layout. All the content will be changed and so will the header. Now as far as layout goes, what do you think? Because that is the only thing i myself wont be able to change if i use this theme that i bought already loaded. I bought this site so i could learn the insides of it and change stuff accordingly. Now i will be doing something music related. Let me know what you think about the layout, positioning of the store etc. Maybe you guys and gals could suggest me some good color combos? Thanks appreciate it.

9. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

You can probably switch themes anytime you want since it is based on WordPress, and even that one has variables.
    Currently it looks too much like a cookie cutter website and not an authority site which will help you sell more.
    Colors are such a personal thing I won't even try to second guess customers tastes anymore, use 'em all.
    There are some older threads on here discussing color choices and meanings, use the search box above.

10. Stephen Karanja

Stephen Karanja New Member

Aaron, Your website looks great. You sure will need content on the site. As others have suggested content is easy to get through your own writing or outsourcing from paid sources in the internet. However, a great site is not enought. It needs traffic if it is going to serve your objective of making money. I think you will need to eventually learn how to drive traffic to your site. To learn fast how to get traffic is to enroll into a internet marketing course. It should also teach you how to write good content. There are many out there in the internet but to get value for your time and money you need to learn from the best. Learn from a mentor and not any other guru. A mentor will see that you succeed if you do your part.

Stephen

11. Wayne Miller

Wayne Miller Member

Market your passion, that is good advice for a number of reasons. You know about it and you like it. You should do something you like and then it will be less like work. You'll have to provide consumers with products, services or both in order to make money though. Generally it would be best to decide these things prior to getting a domain name. I wish you all the luck in the world.

12. Belle Wojo

Belle Wojo New Member

Aaron, did you ever get your website started? I see this post is a couple months old.​

13. Wayne Miller

Wayne Miller Member

Your domain name can be changed and hosting too. I always say market your passion. Find a way to market what you like and you will be more knowledgeable and have fun too. Online marketing is a tough business and only the top few percent ever make money. You will have to determine how you intend to make money before you blast onto the Internet and try to do it. Most of us that make money have multiple income streams going, that way if one doesn't do anything the others might. Relying on one thing is risky and expensive. We manage our site for $00.00! That is not a typo. I just know how to do it. If you have seen our site then you will have a hard time believing that's true, but it is. If you spend more than you make then you will fail. You have to be in a market that people want and then you have to get them there to spend money. It's a proven marketing fact that people mostly spend on the 2nd through sixth visits to a site so you have to get them to return once you get them there. I wish you all the luck in the world.

14. Shane Martin

Shane Martin New Member

Aaron, I would definitely suggest working on a topic that you know, and even better one that you know and like. This will give you a big boost moving forward. In your case, you are an engineer/musician so that's a pretty broad category and a great one to investigate and pick something within that category that makes you inspired. I would suggest brainstorming for a few minutes and just make a list. Once you have the list then you can research further and start narrowing down your selection until you have a few...then research those till you have your pick. Good luck!

15. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Sounds like you have the store but you don't have anything to put in the store to sell. I agree with A8ch, me thinks you put the cart before the horse. You can build a really great store but if you don't have merchandise to sell, what is the point of building a store? Also, be willing to learn from the professionals - not the gurus - and learn what it takes to market successfully.

16. Wayne Miller

Wayne Miller Member

Although I agree with Elizabeth that you should learn what it takes to market successfully, I want to say that marketing is selling and selling is sales. We see all the time on the Internet that you can be an Internet marketer if you just do this or you just do that and I think that is bunk. Sales is a tough business and to be a great salesperson which is what it takes to succeed online you need sales training. Those of us who make money on the Internet comprise only 2% of the people here trying to make money. Of that 2% around 88% have sales training and the others got lucky and found a mentor who had sales training. Trying to succeed at sales without training is like trying to win a race at Indy when you only know how to drive a bicycle. Get trained not just at sales but at SEO and advertising and branding. These things are essential to online success and if that's what you really want then don't set yourself up to fail.

17. NetMecca

NetMecca Member

I am a big fan of building customer generating engines. Sounds challenging and usually is a little, but if you build something that hold true to the following rules (in your niche) this will prove helpful
    1. People like sharing things, so let them, even if it is not yours. You will get potential customers from it though.
    2. Build something that is easily repeated, so any platform you build should allow your customers to repeat an action without you having to rebuild it. This forum is one of those.
    3. Make sure your customers can communicate with you and others and hook it in with all the sharing platforms seamlessly if possible.
    4. It takes time to make money from a website so be patient.

Anyway, I wish you all the bst of luck.

Cheers

18. whitney black

whitney black Member

Do lots of research on Google, and look at other similar websites, that's the best way to find inspiration to write.

19. edna delucas

edna delucas New Member

If you find it difficult to write or do not have enough time for that you can hire a freelancer through jobbuckets.com.