Jump in and risk it or wait for a time-tested company?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Ryan Vorhees, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Ryan Vorhees

Ryan Vorhees New Member

Hey All,

I am looking at a new opportunity and have already signed up, since the cost was low and the products were interesting. However, this is a brand new company and I need some advice.

Is is better to jump right in to a new company, since one of the best ways to make money is by getting in near the top, knowing that the company could fail at any time? OR, is it better to wait and see if the company lasts a few months or a year, then jump in, but losing the potential of your top position?

I can get out at any time, but I thought that with the low cost, maybe it's worth getting in early, paying a little for a few months, testing out the product, and seeing where it is in 6 months.

Advice from the pros is appreciated!!

2. I think it is a good idea to jump into something but be prepared to learn and possibly move on if necessary. Waiting for the perfect opportunity may have you waiting forever.

payment proof likes this.
  3. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Jump in but do your due diligence before you do. Research the opportunity as much as you can, make sure you know what's required, and have at least a general understanding of the niche.

4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum.

You answered your own question... and rationalized your decision.

Since it's a brand new company, you could make a killing if all goes well and you are properly positioned to exploit that possibility. But don't leave it to chance. Be an active contributor to its growth, and do your best to influence a positive outcome.

However, if in 6 months or so you believe you made the wrong choice, you always have the option to get out and cut your losses. Since it didn't cost much to get started anyway, consider it a small investment for the priceless experience you would have gained. You'll be wiser for it and better prepared for the next opportunity.

Hermas

Mazzini Auto and payment proof like this.
  5. Lorraine Pierce

Lorraine Pierce New Member

Certainly depends on how much money it costs to jump in and whether or not you can risk losing that.
    I've jumped in a new biz recently just because I respected the people that were promoting it and knew that they wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth pursuing.

6. I agree that you should do your due diligence. But don't let analysis paralysis keep you from doing something. Failure is on your path to success... It is part of the learning experience.

YAGOOFT and Just2EZ like this.
  7. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Come on in, the water is fine. Unless you have jumped into ice cold water you won't have the nerve to jump into a new business, so as I have learned, go for it, jump in even if the water is cold, you live, you learn, then you succeed.

Success to all,

8. payment proof

9. mike Bryan

mike Bryan New Member

lol, in my opinion I would wait. not really a fan of jumping in

10. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Interesting,

Procrastination dooms more people to failure than any other trait. Waiting is fine, but how long you wait is the real question, and in my experience, the longer you wait, the more likely you will never jump, it is human nature, out of site, out of mind. If you saw a hundred dollar bill floating in the icy ocean water, would you jump in to retrieve it? It all depends on the person, no doubt, and for some, they would jump in for a dollar, others it may take a $500. bill to motivate them, but knowing the current is always pulling the bill further away, here comes the procrastination issue, the longer you wait, the harder it is to commit. Love to hear how others respond to issues like this.

Success to all,

11. payment proof

Perfectly said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAGOOFT likes this.
  12. Eric Coons

Eric Coons New Member

Jump in. If you look into it too much, you will give yourself analysis paralysis and may never start. The experience will teach you as much or more than the research.

13. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Exactly, too many over think a business opportunity, jump in and learn as you earn, and then earn while you learn, you never stop learning, and as you learn more, you earn more. Without the knowledge learned while working in your own business, you will never see success. so don't wait, start a business as soon as possible and have a nice journey to success.

Success to all,

payment proof and Eric Coons like this.
  14. susanna

susanna New Member

Jump in. Just keep watching. Don't invest more then you can loose. Recognize a good opportunity when you see it!

15. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I would say you did the right thing - successful folks are often the ones that jump a few times before they hit the right pond. Hopefully yours was the right jump and in 6 months you will be a happy man! If not, remember that it was only one splash in the journey.... cheers! :)