Just started direct selling business (Dove Chocolate Discoveries) and looking for tips?

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by busymomKristi, Dec 9, 2008.

1. busymomKristi

busymomKristi New Member

This is my first time posting to a forum like this but I thought that it might be helpful. I just started a direct selling business with Dove Chocolate Discoveries and I was wondering if anyone has some tips for getting the word out about your business? I had my first parties last month and basically made the rounds of my friends and obvious people and I have some people who said that they may be interested in doing parties after the holidays, but how do I move past just that initial circle of friends and get other people interested? Especially since this is a relatively new company so lots of people don't even know what it is. The parties that I did so far had people coming who were expecting to just get a catalog with truffles or something like Godiva and other people who thought that I was selling soap! LOL How do I advertise for something like this??

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Kristi

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

First of all - have your website in your sig.[​IMG]

Are you wanting tips for online marketing? I am assuming so as that is what we do here.[​IMG]

You would be amazed at how many people are curious and will click thru your links to see what it is that you do.... I would but there are no links to go to...yet.

You might want to go to forums relating to your interests as well and posting around in there... or have you heard of cafemom dot com??

Also, go to a free place like blogger or Squidoo and set up some free websites where you have your stuff all at one spot and where you can direct people to...

[​IMG]

3. tamc1968

tamc1968 New Member

Hi Kristi,
    I am also with a soon to be well known direct selling business. I have found lifestyling my business works best. I hand out my business cards everywhere I go with samples attached. I have small stickers on my car windows and I advertise in 3 newspapers.(Some companies don't allow this so check with your upline first) I always carry some product with me because people want to see what you've got. [​IMG]
    Mountainmom above gave you great ideas about online marketing but I just wanted to add to that since the business your in is offline too!!
    Good luck and I wish you much success in your new venture!!

Tam

4. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Hi Kristi,

Welcome to the forum. I have heard of people having on-line parties that have been successful. I used to belong to a forum that would let the direct sellers have on-line parties, sorry, I can't remember the name of the forum now but if you google it you should be able to come up with something.

Becky

5. dscyphers

dscyphers New Member

Hi Kristi,
    I believe you are asking how to market your product online? Do you have a website? If so PM me with the URL and I will look at it. Two things I would do to get a business started, 1. go to blogger and set up a free blog. 2. post a few articles on your new business. If you don't know how to do this, then let me know and I will give you the information on where to get the articles written. Another place to advertise is YouTube, go there and in the search box type in "Dove Chocolate Discoveries" see what comes up. After you get this done, then come back with your link! and post what you have found, there are a lot of good people here willing to help you.

6. coffee

coffee New Member

Put up a flyer* at local bulletin boards.

Do up a flyer* for a mail out. Check postal prices for your area.

Offer a discount on your flyer.

Were a button that says what you sell or a t-shirt

Keep a demo basket, extra flyers, extra brochures / catalogs and business cards in your vehicle.

Advertise in local papers.

Plan a demo party and ask friends and family to bring someone.

Go to craft fairs. Offer a sign up sheet for partys and mail outs.

7. coffee

coffee New Member

Sorry, I forgot to add this about the flyer and business cards:

* You can make them at home.

8. annettejones

annettejones New Member

The best way to get the word out is social networking and blogging. First join all the top social networks, setup your profile with full details of your business as well and then participate in family / mom groups etc. Add like minded people to your friend network and interact with them.

Also try starting a blog and network with other bloggers using sites like blogcatalog.com etc.

9. dovechocolatier

dovechocolatier New Member

I have found with my Dove Chocolate Discoveries to utilize groups that we have a basic interest,if its kids or pets.That way you already have a common ground .

10. mymomluvsus

mymomluvsus New Member

Hey Kristi,
    I, like you have a hard time getting past the warm market. If you have a website like myspace or facebook, try posting a blog about your business. You can also advertise on myspace classifieds for free. Place an ad for parties or even to build your team. Post bulletins about how much fun having a chocolate tasting would be. Make flyers and post them at your local craft store, outside restaurants where they place magazine and also at the grocery store. These are just a few simple and basically free ways to advertise. Hey if you are looking for something to do on a walk with the kids..pass out flyers to your neighbors..it couldn't hurt and you would be meeting new people. You can also leave a catalogue or flyer in you.r doctor or dental office..Kids sports activities are also a great way to get your business known. Hope this helps a little! If you need more suggestions..Please email me! I would be glad to brainstorm with you!
    Mom of 3
    Carrie

11. leahkrause

leahkrause New Member

Facebook is a great way to market with your friends. Join your PTA.
    There are always parties near the holidays, Valentines day? Great for chocolate. On face book you can post an event like a party where people confirm as guests.

12. Serendipity

Serendipity New Member

I am also a Dove Chocolate Discoveries (TM)new" Chocolatier"-

I have created parties and decorated weddings and events for years but direct sales is new. I am wondering what themes some of you have found to be most successful or activities besides the "main event". I'd like to combine my parties with an event like gathering needed items for shelters. Has any one done anything like that?
    I know so many dread being invited to yet another party where they will feel guilty if they don't buy something,I want it to support a cause too.

13. dannielangel

dannielangel New Member

busymomKristi

As I read your post, It is very clear that your problem is about marketing. You are on the track to the stardum. LOL. Anyway thanks for starting this topic.

Everyone wants free right? okay, for you to have a blog you will sign-in on blogger, weebly, tumblr, vox and other more. IT IS FOR FREE. I recommend blogger, because it is more simpler.

You can also make a video and upload it youtube. WHy? as we all know, youtube is the must popular video hosting site in the net and is idexed by google almost every 2 days. That is right, I have tried it.

In the case that you dont like blogging and video streaming, then we are left with social networking site. The very popular is facebook.

Now if you have done any of this 3 options, then you are not finish. yet. You will now try to make your blog or page popular. The very effective way is SEO (search engine optimization).

On the other hand there are many sites on the net which provides training for free!

I hope that I am a help to you.

14. survivalist

survivalist New Member

One important thing to remember is...be persistent. If you don't receive an answer, keep trying to get in touch. It is important to collect the feed back of your consumers as it makes them feel valued and their responses count. This is important to stay in the competitive market where business men are competing with each other.