Just starting out. Which business opportunity should I go with?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by CDG, Feb 4, 2014.

1. CDG

CDG New Member

Looking to have a good home based business. Would like to be pointed in the right direction. Coach me on how to go about it. My expectations are realistic and I have resources. I also have quite a bit of time on my hands.

Thanks in advance.
    LouAnn Brockett and PeterMFL like this.
  2. ronniebranch

ronniebranch Member

I would recommend you focus on learning about marketing before joining a business venture. People to often get a shiny website before developing their marketing...

Cheers,
    Ronnie
    Gela G and payment proof like this.
  3. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Welcome to forum,

As with all newbies to online home based businesses, you have to start somewhere, and as I have learned, why not earn while you learn, so start with a product or service you can identify with is how I started out. Like most, they start part time, and this is good advice. I target recession proof business opportunities given this long term economic recession which is hurting most.

With that in mind, target money saving products or services of high quality, unique or patented is best place to start your search. With so many different businesses, you don't want to get bogged down in the research stage, so narrow your search to what interests you. The easiest starting point is to become a free affiliate with a company that offers what you believe in. As example, I am big on organic, non-GMO, non-toxic, non-steroid, non-antibiotic gluten free products, so as a user which is where I started, now I am an affiliate promoting the all natural health benefits to everyone I know. Sounds simple, and it is, choose something you know about or enjoy talking about.

Selling is not easy for most, and most do not like being sold, so finding a product or service most people are already using is another good tip to follow. As example, you use a cell phone and perhaps you are a gamer, then promoting smart phone gaming may be of interest. If you are a marketing professional already, then look for a business which helps other businesses prosper. I always look for products which solve a problem most have, target mass appeal products as another example.

Forums like this can really help you jump start your own home based business, so good luck in your search.

Good luck to all,
    payment proof likes this.
  4. yboby1

yboby1 New Member

I'm new here too and jumped into the world of MLM. I find that I need to change alot of things about myself if I expect for this to work. Wish me Luck!!
  5. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

CDG,

What are your interests and strengths? What kind of experience do you have?

If you can find a business that involves something you enjoy and something you feel confident about, it will be easier to succeed.

I agree that you should learn about a home business, the steps involved, and how to promote it.
  6. KB24

KB24 Member

Go with a topic you are interested in. This way it won't be hard coming up with content for your site. Of course you can outsource your writing. I would read up on what a niche is, keyword research, building a site correctly. I know this is a lot but you will get there.
  7. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

If you are looking to make money online in the work at home business niche....

There are 6 steps really.

Step 1: Work on yourself daily. Read motivational books and listen to audio.

Step 2: Learn how to market online effectively and put what you learn into action so that you know what works best for you and what doesn't.

Step 3: You need to work with programs that can pay you residual income.

Step 4: You also need to work with programs that pay you on the efforts of others.

Step 5: Create your own list and market to them.

Step 6: Work with programs that pay you high ticket commissions.
    Gela G and Nicholas G. like this.
  8. moneysmartad

moneysmartad New Member

Hey!
    Today Affiliate marketing is a great way to make money via internet. if you have a good website that attract,s a huge traffic than Moneysmart network is the perfect spot where you can get an extensive number of ads to browse with enhanced outcomes, thorough correlation and nitty gritty investigation. No two organizations are same; we concentrate on unique needs and administrations to help you win income sans work.
  9. Kyle S.

Kyle S. New Member

I'm personally a fan of MLM, paired with some internet affiliate marketing. I love the opportunity for faster cash (compared to MLM) coming from affiliate marketing, but I love the HUGE walk-away potential of MLM.

That's my two cents as far as actual business models go. However, I really believe the most important thing to look at when starting something new is to look at the training available. Both about the business and for your personal development. You can't make six figures as a business owner with a mind that's used to making $30,000 through a job. Look around for a good mentor who will point you in the right direction. Lots of the people on this forum are also super helpful so if you have questions while just starting out there is probably someone who will know the answer here. As you need more specific help, it would be beneficial to find a mentor who is aware of your personal situation.
    AJ Trakr and payment proof like this.
  10. Bio-Gene DNA

Bio-Gene DNA New Member

I would make sure that whatever venture you go with that you make certain that they are willing to invest in you, not just you investing your money in them. Do they offer continued support? Is the industry growing? What about training? Owning your own home business can be the hardest thing you have ever done, or the most enjoyable. Also I would look at opportunities that do not require huge investments. Mark Cuban said it best last year that the worst thing you can do is take out a loan to start a new business. Some capital, yes. Being in debt, never.
  11. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

After having d0ne a variety of internet marketing and money making ventures, I have learnt a few things.

They all have pros and cons - such as affiliate or internet marketing .... PROS are that you can do it entirely from the comfort of your home...at ANY hour you want. CONS are that it can take months till you start seeing some income as the learning curve can be quite steep.

With network marketing or mlm, the PROS are that you can make money the same day that you sign up. ( or with the one I am doing you can anyways) ... and the CONS are that you are more limited to the skill you have in connecting with people.

I did internet marketing for several years until Google made some changes and I lost most of my income, which is when I decided that I am going back to network marketing where it is up to ME how much money I make, not some search engine. :)
    AJ Trakr and payment proof like this.
  12. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

If there was only one home business for all, we would all be set. Great question though.
    Personally, I was looking for a company with Superior Executive leadership at the top. It doesn't matter how great the compensation plan or products are or are not if the Executive leadership is going to squander your efforts. I learned this the hard way. I also wanted a young company with massive potential that had a Truly viable pay plan for the average person to earn income, along with one that has the potential to pay me $100,000 in autopilot monthly income.

It took me 4 years to find the right one after a few other attempts but good things come to those that keep on, keeping at it! :) May you find massive success for a lifetime.
    AJ Trakr likes this.
  13. My V Team

My V Team New Member

To me, it was a no brainer. I have done it all and the easiest for me was signing up for a company that offers a product that everyone uses every day, a company that you do not have to buy inventory from, a company with great management, a company that is still in the growth stage, a company with very low cost to get in and a very low cost for a monthly web page, and a company that offers bonuses and growing residual income. I have only found one company that fits all of the above.
    AJ Trakr likes this.
  14. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

Before you join any company find a product that you are passionate about and would like to sell.
    Then I recommend you make a plan on how you are going to market it to people so you have some direction before you jump in.

Last but not least, make sure you have a good upline or someone that's there to support you!
    AJ Trakr likes this.
  15. Mitchell

Mitchell New Member

Focus on traffic lead generation. It doesn't matter which company your in. You could be in the best since sliced bread. Without traffic, your income is no show. Free methods or paid methods. Know the sources.
    AJ Trakr likes this.
  16. AllofUs

AllofUs New Member

All good responses to your question. I agree to make it in most of the home based areas, you need understanding in regards to marketing, social networking, etc. It can help. With quite a bit of time on your hands, make sure you do some research on the company or companies youre considering. There are so many out there that require you to pay, which dont get me wrong, Im a firm believer in spending money to make money, but it all depends on how often youre spending money and what youre getting back in return. Also, look at the companies reputation and how long they've been in business. Many mlm companies will get shut down and open shop a year later as a different entity. Remember, pyramids are illegal. Look for companies that are members of the direct selling assoc., they do careful screening of businesses before allowing them to become members. I was very fortunate to find an outstanding company in which I needed no marketing experience or social networking experience. Maybe they were natural skills I already had, but I seriously doubt it. lol. Yes, there was a "fee" to become an IMD with the company, however within 2 months I had doubled what I paid. What was important for me when I did my research on the company was they had an A+ BBB rating, were a member of the Direct Selling Assoc. as well as the US Chamber of Commerce and D&B. Lastly, they have been in business for 17 years and are debt free. In todays economy, that says a lot. I took a chance. I quit my job and did this full time. Ill never go back to the 9-5 and make someone else rich while I work to pay last weeks bills. My goal, which is completely realistic, is to have the option to retire at the end of the year. Im almost 33, so I think thats pretty impressive.
    So, just be careful of what company you go with. Do your research and commit to what you do. I meet a lot of people with my career and so many are looking for get rich quick deals. Any business you decide to go with is a job and needs to be treated as such. Get the right business and dedication, and nothing will stop you. I wish you the best of luck in your search. Any questions feel free to email me. I would be happy to point you in the direction of my business as well if youre interested.
  17. AJ Trakr

AJ Trakr New Member

Following the trend...being at the right place at the right time...having the right product and compensation plan...easy to do, easy to learn, easy to teach...great leadership, great tools, finding the next BIG thing, finding something using social media, appealing to the masses...global footprint...great alexa growth...creating a need and a desire...can i do it, do I have time to do it, and will my friends, family, and neighbors want to do it with me? MLM has always been a terrific idea!!! Can we get there together? Can the ones I lead become as successful as I, and in return become leaders themselves? Duplication is a must!! World Domination is always a plus.... So is taking out a monopolizing company in any given genre and spreading the wealth to the masses....making a game of it would be unique! Being the first to do it would be even better!!! Great forum!!! Perhaps I might be on to something??!!
  18. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

You also need new and fresh leads DAILY coming in to your auto-responder to follow up with them.
  19. Gela G

Gela G New Member

Since the other members already shared the best strategies that you need to get started. I just want to say that you have to understand your reason why you want to start a business.

If you say "more income/money" then you don't have enough motivation to face the challenges ahead of you. If you want to build a business, ensure that you have the right mindset to keep you going. You should have the vision to reach that goal you have. Many newbies fail and give up at the start because they don't really understand why they are doing what they want to do.
  20. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Nothing like overwhelming someone!! It's so nice to have a lot of different views and ideas thrown out there, but I remember how I felt many years ago when I first found this place! Sheesh - am glad that's behind me! =)