Lighting for your office and your productivity?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by CubicleBob, Jul 31, 2013.

1. CubicleBob

CubicleBob Member

Hi,

I recently got moved into the middle of cubicle nation away from a window where I was located previously. I find it extremely dark now which affects my mood and my productivity. I was wondering what you use in your home office or work office to provide enough light for you to work well and efficiently? I have heard a lot about natural light lamps but am wondering if they really do the trick and are worth the investment?

Also, I am very interested in how light affects your work productivity? After this move, I really know how much the proper lighting affects my working life.

2. drknlvly6781

drknlvly6781 Active Member

Light affects productivity by the signals it gives your brain. To expand on what you said in your post, the dim lighting where you are now puts your mind in mood for sleeping, causing your productivity to slow down and your mood to be not so cheery; seeing as how you can't sleep at the moment is making you cranky.

I would either invest in the additional lighting, or bring this up to your supervisor and have him actually look at your output since your move. They may provide the additional lighting for you as well as others.

3. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

I'm lucky that I have more than enough light in our home and I can totally understand how less than sufficient light can affect one's mood and productivity. Though I don't have any idea about natural light lamps, I feel that they might be better than nothing.

4. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

There is a lot of research showing increased productivity with natural lighting.
    "Daylight bulbs" should be 6500k and are available in many forms.
    Full spectrum LEDs are considered the best of the best.
    Too much light can be detrimental though.
    Indirect lighting is less stressful.

robinincarolina likes this.
  5. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I use energy efficent lighting and have a nice window in my home office that allows a lot of natural light in.

6. CubicleBob

CubicleBob Member

Yes, I have heard that Full spectrum LEDs are a good option. It has been a real transition moving away from a window into the dark but I'm dealing. I will solve the lighting issue but I want to get a good idea of the options available before I buy another lamp.

7. whitney black

whitney black Member

My home office is right near a window with nice natural light coming in. The lighting can make all the difference in your mood and productivity!

8. CubicleBob

CubicleBob Member

Hi Whitney,
    My home office is awesome because it's in my basement and right near a slider since it's a walkout basement. It's when I'm at work (I split time between home office and work office) that makes it more difficult. I was able to find a great sunlight lamp for my work office which works excellent! I don't feel like I'm in the dark anymore which is sooo much better than what it was like before the new lamp. There are so many different types of these full spectrum lamps out there and they are reasonably priced.

9. Art

Art Member

I'm lucky enough to have a great view to the river and mountains at the same time so during the day I love working out on my terrace with plenty of light and a great view :) At night I always have all the lights on in the room, I've noticed I work much better that way...

10. CubicleBob

CubicleBob Member

Hi Art,
    I think light has different effects on different people. I have been really happy with the sunlight lamp in my office at work. It turned a dark cubicle into a bright workable space.

11. Art

Art Member

I never tried these but maybe I should... when I work at night I could actually use a lamp like this!
    Art

12. Conner Hogan

Conner Hogan New Member

The sunlight will naturally wake you up.

On top of that, if the average adult does not get a full 8 hrs of undisturbed sleep
    your mind will run at less efficiency.

And, your brain uses up the bodies supply of water when you think. So you can actually think
    yourself dehydrated.

So, to increase productivity in an office, add plenty of sun light.
    Drink plenty of water, have a full nights sleep, and keep away from distractions.

The human mind can't focus 100% on two things.

You are actually running about 60% when you multitask.

Funny how that works, doing one thing at a time is more efficient than doing two. [​IMG]

People are confused to how motivation works. You do not get motivated to work.

You begin work, then get motivated to keep working. Persistence is the name of the game.

13. Aaleeyah

Aaleeyah New Member

Dull lighting really effects vision and interest. Good lighting is a must in office to ensure every one stay positive and keep interest in work.