Living Proof Why Newbies Must Not Give Up

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by robinincarolina, Mar 22, 2011.

1. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I have been hear a while, going on two years. I don't post a lot, mostly read, but feel it's time to share. This might get sort of long, but please read on.

I landed here almost two years ago, searching for some way out of the stressful corporate world. Turns out I got my wish, I got laid off. I read here for weeks. I searched the internet. I got scammed, I lost hundreds of dollars. I kept searching.

I discovered article marketing and bum marketing. I had no clue what I was in for and by the way I am probably the most technically challenges person here. I started with a few articles and a squidoo lens. I made my first $20 bucks in a couple of weeks.

Talk about a high. That is when I knew this could be done. I thought well if a few articles and a lens or two can make me $20 bucks, I should do this again and again.

I kept going, I didn't let anything side track me, well not much anyway, short of a little gliche of a heartbreak. It took me 18 months, but I finally supported myself with nothing but free methods. Articles, blogs and Squidoo for the most part. That is the key, just keep doing it over and over, and don't even stop to ask why it works, just know it does.

Funny things started happening. I started getting a few fan mails. I landed on a forum in my niche, a very popular one at that. I became moderator. The fan mail grew. People were starting to know who I was.

A few of the Vendors that I became an affiliate for contacted me. I was offered to co-write a book with one. I have done a tele-seminar with another guru in my niche. I have been a guest blog poster.

In the meantime the forum closed down. The owner agreed to let me take the women with me. Door opens, just like that. 5 days ago, I put my own forum in beta mode and now have almost 100 members and I am not in the search engines yet. It is just beginning and I am so pumped and so excited (can you tell). A woman from a work at home forum helped me with this by the way. I was clueless.

Moral of this story. Stick with it. Keep pushing. Be real, offer value, and your reputation will build itself. Things just start happening. Amazing, absolutely amazing.

Have a dream and follow it! It you are passionate about it, you will have success.

You will meet some wonderful people along the way. I have met some here, some over at warrior, and all over the web. It's all about networking. The kindness of these complete strangers overwhelms me, for I would not be here without them.

It all started here, one day while I was miserable at work, sitting at my desk when I found this forum. I am so grateful and my warmest thank you.

Robin
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I remember when you were struggling as you tried to get the hang of all this and now I am doing a happy dance along with you! What a great testimony!! thanks for sharing it[​IMG]
  3. robinincarolina

You MountainMom were one of my biggest inspirations. Never underestimate your presence here!
  4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Aww - thank you Robin! YOUR story is going to inspire a lot of people too! In fact I am meeting with a good friend next week to see if I can somehow help her figure out something to do on the computer and I'll have to share your story with her as she is in a hard place right now with not much for work ... problem is we can try to help someone as much as we want to, but it is our individual committment that will get us through all the ups and downs - as you well know!!
  5. robinincarolina

If I can help, I will, pay it forward, always. [​IMG]
  6. robinincarolina

Oh and yes I very well know. I have rolled up change to eat, I have had to move out of my lovely condo on the lake. I sacrificed a lot and still do, but I see a silver lining at last.

When it is all said and done, I would not change a thing!
  7. Jose Roman

Jose Roman New Member

robinincarolina, that's great, determination is something huh?, I'm glad you are finally reaping the benefits, goes to show that consistency and hard work always pays off! Good stuff.
  8. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

robinincarolina: Moral of this story. Stick with it. Keep pushing. Be real, offer value, and your reputation will build itself. Things just start happening. Amazing, absolutely amazing.
    Right on Robin! Thanks for sharing your story with us [​IMG] When we offer real value and focus on delivering instead of worrying about the results, things automatically start falling into place.
  9. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

robinincarolina: It all started here, one day while I was miserable at work, sitting at my desk when I found this forum. I am so grateful and my warmest thank you.
    Great inspirational story, Robin. I am truly very happy for you!

Success is like pushing a boulder down a hill. In the beginning the tasks required to get things rolling can seem very overwhelming. But with a good plan, the right tools, guidance and dedicated effort you can get the boulder to budge an inch or two. (Your first $20 bucks.) [​IMG]

That tiny achievement floods you with satisfaction and optimism. The doubts are replaced by excitement and renewed commitment. You redouble your efforts and settle down to moving the boulder another inch or two.

Eventually you learn how to do it consistently. You do it better, faster and with less effort.

Then one day the boulder starts to roll down the hill on its own. No more pushing required. It's as if other forces take control as it hurtles down the slop at ever-increasing speed.

Your boulder is headed down the slope. Watch it go with pride!

Hermas
  10. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

This is great news Robin. I am so happy for you.

Persistence is the key to success.

Tal
  11. robinincarolina

Yes! Now how can I get my avatar back? I have tried and tried. The simple things just mess me up.
  12. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

Nothing like the feeling of success. This story is awesome and exciting to see.

To bad too many don't put 18 months into one thing to make it work, heck 6 months, sometimes 30 day. I've seen people go into defeat on their home income aspirations in a week. People looking for home income success often jump around looking for a magic trick to make success happen, and 18 months, or whatever time frame, later very often not much as happen and they are in the same situation.

It's all about the marketing for online home business success. And free marketing can be a time consumption, that if/when done right delivers results...as has been proven again by Robin.

All the best, and remember to diversify your income streams to continue to manifest your dreams
  13. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

robinincarolina: Yes! Now how can I get my avatar back? I have tried and tried. The simple things just mess me up.
    Just email me (vprao [at] fastmail.fm) your original un-resized avatar pic and I'll put it up for you.
  14. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Robin, so pleased for you and thrilled that you were able to take the opportunity to keep that forum alive. I'm glad you found someone who knew how to set it up that was willing to help you. I'm sure with your faithful commitment it will grow into not only an enjoyable meeting place for you and your friends, but also an additional revenue stream for you. What a blessing!

It's lovely to hear your story of perseverance and commitment. That's the real truth behind all of our stories, I suspect. It's great to see it here so that others who come along will realize what is really involved (consistent hard work), and what the rewards can be.

To your continued success!
    Blessings,
    Angie
  15. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Congratulations Robin.

Hopefully a newbie will come here and read your post and realize that it can really happen, it does really work but you have to "work" first.

Nothing can stop you now. Go for it!
  16. robinincarolina

Yes it is a lot of work. I remember when I had finally got up 12 Squidoo lens and woke one morning and they were all locked. I could have given up then, I was so discouraged. They weren't making me a killing but they were worth a couple hundred a month.

Another time one of the vendors that I am an affiliate for shut down their affiliate program. I had a lens, a blog, and about 20 articles out there promoting it, another couple hundred a month in income. I even had a domain name with the affiliate link forwarded to it.

Both of these were set backs for me. Both could have been excuses throw in the towel. I didn't. I dusted myself off and did the work to fix it/rebuild it.

Two lessons here.
    1. Read the terms of service pleeeeeze.
    2. Create lots of income streams. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
  17. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

Kudos to you Robin.
  18. cheryschmidt

cheryschmidt New Member

HI Robin You are truely an inspiration for me I lost my JOB as well I have also joined this company & that one trying to find me a way to make money on the world wide web.I have learned alot A friend of mine suggested this forum. Your article was the first I have read here I am so Happy to be part of this I am trying to develop myself with some good habits, and reading these kinds of posts are exactly where everybody who wants to find a way to make money on the internet needs to start. I wish I had found this site a long time ago.
    Looking forward to learning more from you and others as well Thank You [​IMG] You just made my day.
  19. Dorothe

Dorothe New Member

FreeCashMan: I've seen people go into defeat on their home income aspirations in a week.
    That is the truth. It is just this attitude that will have people chasing get rich quick schemes instead of actual opportunities. If it is worth YOUR time, why should it be worth anyone's money?
  20. brit123

brit123 New Member

You are very motivating! I'm new to the site and excited to see that others have had success [​IMG]