Looking for help on building website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by lavondaljt, Feb 22, 2012.

1. lavondaljt

lavondaljt New Member

I'm new to all this and want to build a website that allows peple to add their own classified ad for one particular product. They can add up to 4 photos along with the discription. I also want to be able to have sponsor ads going down the right side of the page, and 4 featured sponsor ads across the top and bottom that can be changed out monthly.

Eventulally, I will be adding more catagories and links and i want them on the left side.

If there's someone out there that is willing ot help me out with this please post or send me a pm.

thanks
    lavonda

2. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

happywife: I've been using SBI for over 5 years and am very happy with the product/program.

This should help you out. Try them out.

Maybe you can hire someone to do this for you. There is a place online that you can hire a pro or someone with knowledge to do this for you.

It is called:

www.elance.com

3. haiden

haiden New Member

You can also check Fiverr.com

Yes, people charge you just $5, but that does not mean you cannot get quality. I've used it for some projects, and have had excellent work done.

I only mention this site if you cannot, like some of us, afford $25+ hrly rates.

recruiter1 likes this.
  4. kellerbrianw

kellerbrianw Member

Whoever you use for your website and website hosting, make sure you can contact the company 24/7/365 should a problem arise. You should be able to pick up the phone and call them anytime an issue arises. Your contacts shouldn't simply come from emails or snail mail.

After all, what good is a website if it isn't working for you?

Here's to your success!

Brian

5. JayW

JayW New Member

Have you taken a look at WordPress? It's very easy to use and if you plan on having your own website, why not learn to take care of it yourself? You don't want to be in a position where whenever you want to make some changes to your site you have to pay someone. Hosting nowadays is very cheap and many hosting packages include WordPress. If you would rather pay someone along with the other suggestions, you can add Odesk to the list.

CatherineK likes this.
  6. Laura Burke

Laura Burke New Member

I do something similiar to this using WordPress and a couple of plugins. One is Another WordPress Classified Plugin and the other is AdRotate.

7. One of the easiest turnkey classified webstore programs is Big-Value-Depot.com where for a buck you can set up your site in minutes, and then invite others to post their classifieds on your site. The unique feature is that you list once, and it goes out to all the major classified sites saving a ton of time and hassle. I am always looking for short cuts, and this is great for newbies and professionals alike.

Success to all,

8. Michelle3019

Michelle3019 New Member

Lavonda:

I don't know if you have found what you are looking for yet. But try Page Buzz. They have all the tools you need to build a an awesome website. The have outstanding customer service 7 days a week. You can check out a demo of what they have to offer in my signature below.

Thanks so much and much success to you,

9. Robert Walters

Robert Walters New Member

I would use Joomla. There are tons of free plugins to do this without a developer.

10. mreese601

mreese601 Member

If you use hostgator for your hosting then in your cpanel they have a script for classified sites. It's easy to setup.

11. CatherineK

CatherineK Member

Don't know exactly what you are looking for, but WordPress will do the things you have mentioned above with the use of widgets in the sidebar and by choosing a plugin for image or ad rotation. I haven't personally used any of these, but have seen this type of thing on other sites. You can either have Adsense ads in the sidebar, or banner ads if that's what they want. That's just a matter of adding coding into a text widget. Getting back to the image rotator, take a look at the free WordPress plugins available here. I just did a quick search.
    Good luck

12. CatherineK

CatherineK Member

Just popped the " Image Rotator Widget" plugin on a site for a quick test, worked fine. Can add images into sidebar area or footer.

13. awcforever

awcforever New Member

I'm a noob as well, but I used godaddy simply because it seemed to be the easiest to sign up for, to understand, and they actually call me quite often to make sure everything is ok. I though that was pretty cool.

14. Tatyana

Tatyana New Member

If you are wanting to build just a capture page, I used a free one from Weebly and there are youtube videos that walk you through the process. Nice thing is Weebly also does own hosting. :)

15. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

I highly recommend you invest about 2 hours of your time to learn how to set-up a wordpress website/blog.

You can find lots of free tutorials on YouTube.

After that it is very easy to do what you require. This way is free and more importantly you will acquire a new skill.

You will probably even run into something better then you expected when looking for 'free' wordpress themes.

payment proof and Just2EZ like this.
  16. recruiter1

recruiter1 Banned

+1

17. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

The beautiful thing about this profession is the journey of learning.

You can easily pay someone to do it for you, then pay someone again to update it for you and to do everything else for you, or can you simply go out there and learn to do it yourself.

Self-developing and improvement is the key to success....

Just my thoughts...

Just2EZ likes this.
  18. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Panda and Penguin make this a necessity lol. ;)

PeterMFL likes this.
  19. VicHugo

VicHugo New Member

Hi lavonda,

WordPress Business Encyclopedia by Marc Benetau is an amazing resource that will help you on building your website. I personally talked to one of the owners. They have being doing it for over 3 yrs now as far as a complete encyclopedia from a to z on building a website for reference and if you need more than just that, they also have an academy & coaching.

The good news is....all they ask is a one time donation for access to the encyclopedia. I think that is a blessing considering the value they pack in there. You can also outsource it to Fivver when it comes to those kind of tasks. Anything advanced, Elance.

Hoped it will guide you on building your website :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    payment proof likes this.