Losing interest in your home-based business? Just remember why you are doing it!

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by Vishal P. Rao, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

Most people who start a home-based business realize after a while that things are not how they dreamt it would be. You are your own boss but also the only one to be blamed for anything that goes wrong. Along with the joy of being with your kids, you also get burdened with their responsibilities. And being at home also requires you to share some household responsibilities, which were non-existent (or minimal) when you worked outside.

All this can get you side-tracked and make you lose focus and interest in your business. However, if you make it an effort to periodically go through the exact reasons that made you start a home-based business, it'll help change your perspective and keep your zeal alive.

For best results, take a sheet of paper, write down all things that make you happy about your home-based business and stick it in front of your work table (and don't forget to read it everyday before you start your work!).
  2. photomom04 New Member

This is SO true! I have to remind myself daily why I do it and I often have to ask how I ever managed to get anything done when I worked outside the home! haha
  3. JCP New Member

Quoting: Vishal P. RaoMost people who start a home-based business realize after a while that things are not how they dreamt it would be. You are your own boss but also the only one to be blamed for anything that goes wrong. Along with the joy of being with your kids, you also get burdened with their responsibilities. And being at home also requires you to share some household responsibilities, which were non-existent (or minimal) when you worked outside.

All this can get you side-tracked and make you lose focus and interest in your business. However, if you make it an effort to periodically go through the exact reasons that made you start a home-based business, it'll help change your perspective and keep your zeal alive.

For best results, take a sheet of paper, write down all things that make you happy about your home-based business and stick it in front of your work table (and don't forget to read it everyday before you start your work!).

YES YES YES! You said it perfectly...

A person gets results from what they PUT INTO anything they do. Having patience, and hard work are 2 IMPORTANT charactoristics that make a profitable business. Enduring, and setting goals, and being POSITVE pays off in every area of our lives really.......
  4. Chaz T New Member

Quoting: Vishal P. RaoMost people who start a home-based business realize after a while that things are not how they dreamt it would be.

I think being realistic in what your work at home goals are right from the start is where some go astray. Having dreams is one thing...but attaining them will not be overnight. But keep at it.

And I like the part about writing the positive things down! That's great advice for anyone! Visually seeing your thoughts on a piece of paper somehow makes it all the more real and easier to grasp.

Quoting: Vishal P. RaoYou are your own boss but also the only one to be blamed for anything that goes wrong.

It's really easy to get into a "slump" if you allow yourself to and it's very true.....no one is to blame but yourself. I've heard it said that "the best thing about working from home is being your own boss! And sometimes the worst thing about working from home is.....well........being your own boss!"

At the end of the day...you're the only one that can keep yourself motivated to do what you do from home.

Good encouragement Vishal.
  5. A8ch Gold Member

A mouthful of truth, Vishal!

Running a home-based business requires a total adjustment in one's thinking, attitude, time-management and expectations. Perhaps the most difficult aspect is cultivating the necessary discipline to keep reaching forward, in spite of how many times one slides back.

Hermas
  6. Payit4ward New Member

I completely agree with all of you. I think that the frustration of a home based business comes with one that questionably may not have a good success rate...I belive in the system approach. When I say system approach I mean having a very structured program that completely outlines exactly what to do next to be successful.

You then can look at your upline, ask questions, and find out the things they do or do not do to make their business successful.

It always helps knowing your sponsers or people who have gone before you in your online business and knowing that there is a way to be successful but just finding your way and continually tweaking it.
  7. Anna New Member

Agree with everyone else in the truth that your post entails Vishal... your point put in excellent words! [IMG]
  8. sahmkate New Member

I am all about writing down "why you're doing it" in the first place. I have it taped on my desk! Great reminder and keeps me going late at night when I want to sleep!
  9. Quoting: spartanmrYeah, I know, and for someone as inexperienced as me it can be tough starting an online business. I don't even know how to cloak the below affiliate link!

Michael Reyes

Go into your profile and scroll down to the signature box. Just below it you will see a link that will explain exactly how to to make your link clickable and how to cloak it.

To your success,

Michael
  10. southbank63 New Member

It's fun tho![IMG]
  11. Newbie Shield Gold Member

No more working for someone else
    No more following someone else's rules
    No more having to be at work on time
    No more having to answer to anyone
    No more having to follow someone else's policies
    No more rushing off down the highway to get to work on time
    No more putting in 40 hours +
    No more explaining what you did or why

You make your own hours and days
    You make your own policies
    You make your own strategies
    You look, speak, act any way you want
    You keep more profits for yourself
    You can dress, burp, fart, speak any way you want
    You are available to your family
    You have time for everything
    You call the shots!

[IMG]

Newbie Shield
  12. westfam11 Member

So true Vishal.

I have to be careful with other people.
    They think that since you work at home
    you have all of this time to do their errands,
    go to their house to wait for a repairman, etc.
    It gets annoying sometimes but you have to
    set boundaries because the only way I can get
    paid is if I am actually doing some work.

Thanks,
    Becky
  13. ka7952 New Member

For example;

Holiday season, no more fighting with your colleagues about who will have to come to work during holiday hours.
  14. cherie27 New Member

All of us here wish to get out of J.O.B soon.
    That's why we choose home-based business to earn money.

Stay focused.

Happy earning
  15. juno44444 New Member

Well, personally I would have to quit my volunteer social-betterment work if I would want to get a job that would earn real money. So work at home allows me to raise funds while still doing my volunteer work, as I can work on it during the might or whenever I have time.