make your own laundery detergent

Discussion in 'Frugal Living' started by weebitty, Apr 20, 2010.

1. weebitty

weebitty Member

2. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

I have no idea what washing soda is. But I have been reading your frugal living posts and they are super interesting!

I enjoy them thank you!

Matt

3. melanow

melanow New Member

4. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Now you guys have me going!

I would like to go natural and get some of these chemicals out of our lives.
    [​IMG]
    Victoria

5. weebitty

weebitty Member

Why is 20 mule team borax is bad?? It has been around for a very long time. I did find washing soda in Fred Meyers along with fels naptha bar soap. I am on a spetic tank so have to be careful what I use to start with. You learn a whole different set of rules when you are on a well and a septic tank!! It kind of brings you back to nature that you didn't think about when you live in the city.

6. blessedathome

blessedathome New Member

I am starting to use Soap Nuts as my Laundry Soap. I use to use equal parts of borax and washing soda and then vinager in the rinse cycle for a fabric softner(don't worry it was a small amount so it was odorless). But since learning more about Soap nuts that is what I am going to. If you live in a Warm climate another thing you can do is hang dry your clothes. It saves a ton of money.

I am also using the soap nuts and a few drops of Tree Tea Oil to make my own natural shampoos and hand soaps.[​IMG]

7. catevanne

catevanne New Member

I'm on a septic system too and I have made my own laundry soap before and had no septic problems. I've also made my own soap with olive oil and lye and that stuff lasts forever- the soap I mean. Sure makes you realize how we take grocery stores for granted...

8. weebitty

weebitty Member

yes grocery stores that keep uping their prices!! Blessedathome let me know how you like the soap nuts and how long they last. Do they do a good job? I can't imagine how they would get anything clean however.

Doesn anyone have any reciepes they want to share here on how to make stuff?

9. katereber

katereber New Member

It is? wow t's awesome... I want to try it.. Is anyone here can share the ingredients and instructions?

10. JAF73

JAF73 New Member

My family has made our own Homemade Laundry Soap for many many years. It is very simple and lasts a long time. Everyone who has tried our soap, loves it. If anyone wants the instructions, I will post them or can email them. Ingredients: Superwashing Soda, 20 Mule Team Borax, Fels Naptha, Water. It is a stain remover, odor eliminator and the best soap I have ever used on laundry or household. Best part $3 for 5 gallons (1 load=3/4 cup)

11. Merrick8

Merrick8 New Member

great post! my girlfriend and I have actually been wondering how for awhile now.

12. weebitty

weebitty Member

Go ahead and give the receipe! Iam sure we would love it. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]