Migraines

Discussion in 'Health' started by Shannon1ford, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Shannon1ford

Shannon1ford New Member

Hi guys does anyone else suffer from migraines ?
    I do they are the most evil things ever and I always seem to get them at the worst times like parties and when I get a good advert idea. i also have heart probs so they are more intense than most peoples but that happens I guess.
    I have tried many things and am currently using naramig but the effects fading [​IMG] what do other people use I would love to find something that can remove the pain .

Most people suggest a cold flannel on your neck, a dark quiet room feverfew or using aspirin but they dont do much for me, but I hope they help others [​IMG].
  2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Shannon,

Are your migraines hormonal based, do you know? You may find that using some natural progesterone cream will ease and eventually eliminate them for you.

I use natural progesterone cream myself, not for migraines, but I've read that it is quite helpful to some if that is the source of their migraine.

Other things I know people have tried with some success is the herb Feverfew. Have you tried that yet? It's a natural remedy that you can test without much fear of side effects.

Blessings,
    Angie
  3. Shannon1ford

Shannon1ford New Member

Hi Happywife,
    unfortunately my migraines aren't hormonal based I have pretty much narrowed it down to stress something thats a little hard to get rid of.
    I have tried Feverfew took it for a year with no improvement, I even tried those migrasticks with peppermint in seems I'm allergic lol had the red burn marks for a week was not a good look.

Oh well guess it's just one of those things, supposedly pain lets you know that you are alive.
  4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Shannon,

What a shame! I know we all have to live with pain from time to time, but it's too bad that you haven't been able to find a way to get rid of them. I hope someone else who has had similar type migraines will be able to give you some pointers.

Blessings,
    Angie
  5. Dr_Boo

Dr_Boo New Member

I feel your pain. I've tried Excedrin Migraine, which sometimes helps if I catch it very early on. I've also taken Vicodin which sometimes works slightly better, but again mainly if the full shockwave of pain hasn't hit yet. Once I feel like a railroad spike is being hammered into my skull and twisted around, all I can really do is lay down in the dark and put a pillow over my head.
  6. murof

murof New Member

Does herb Feverfew work quick?
  7. happywife

happywife Gold Member

murof: Does herb Feverfew work quick?

I think it pretty much depends on the person and the source or underlying cause of the migraine.

Different remedies work for different people to different degrees. It's rather a trial and error type of thing, unfortunately.

I'd certainly give Feverfew a try!

Blessings,
    Angie
  8. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

murof: Does herb Feverfew work quick?
    HappyWife is right. It works for some folks but not for others and the effectiveness does depend upon the cause of the headache.

It's similar in effectiveness to aspirin and willow bark in regards to inflammations and headaches.

Since I'm not a doctor, I'm not qualified to give medical advice, and I'm not giving medical advice right now, you'll have to read up on it and consider whether or not to try it for yourself.

~Newbie Shield~
  9. jeffathome

jeffathome New Member

I happen to have a friend who suffered from migraines. What worked for her was drinking a lot of water and doing yoga all while focusing on her breathing. I'm not an expert or anything but this is what worked for her. Good luck, I know that any type of chronic pain is a terrible thing to have to deal with.
  10. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I had chronic non-stop migraine headaches for over two years.

The underlying cause was a nerve in my neck, a phase my spine had to work through. Post multiple spine fusions.

At that time, I lived in Colorado, where pain med prescriptions were not widely prescribed, at least for my age they were not. Barbaric!

I found a doctor who was happy to help, at last, and after 6 weeks the pain began to break up. I did not require much, since my misery was primarily ignored. No tolerance problems...

A neurologist said
    "Don't worry about going to hell, you are already there"- the hell was not necessary!

This proved to me it was a pain cycle.

If meds are not helpful, I would try meditation of some sort or Biofeedback. There are also pressure points you can learn to press to releive some of this.
    The Monroe institute has wonderful therapeutic recordings.

In the meantime, eating a few bites helps, walking a little..both reduce the blood flow to the head.

Over the counter Tylenol PM helped me some with a good dose of coffee.

This may or may not help you since the underlying cause may differ.

I hope you begin to feel better!

Victoria
  11. joanpeterson

joanpeterson New Member

I read a recent news release that said they have now found that using botox can decrease the frequency of migraines. But I don't think botox has been approved yet for migraines but might be worth talking to your doctor about it.
  12. bunny06

bunny06 New Member

I do suffer from migraines after eating too much chocolates, or I lack sleep.
  13. cpryor

cpryor New Member

first off you may want to be evaluated by a physician to determine the root of the migraine. There are medications that can be prescribed that works well for migraines. If it is stress related you may want to evaluate your activities to determine your stressors, this way you can eliminate or decrease them. I live with excedrin migraine, it is the only thing that works for me.
  14. bookguy

bookguy New Member

Stress and muscle tension is a big thing for me at work, as I deal with the general public each day. This is one of the triggers that is responsible for my migraines, along with not eating regularly (like skipping lunch on a busy day), or staying properly hydrated.

My doctor told me that as old fashioned as it may seem, having 6-8 glasses of water each day really is a good thing for the body, especially in a case such as mine.
  15. DCollier

DCollier Member

Dr Gerson had it right at the turn of the century. interesting reading about how stopping migraines lead to cures in cancer.
    gerson.org/ is the site. detox the body first. drink water and do yoga.
    Deep breathing excercises also. getting away from processed foods as is all diet related. [​IMG]
  16. weebitty

weebitty Member

I had a girlfriend years ago that suffered with severe migraines. She was so bad she could hear dust fall and it bothered her. We would have to take a perscription medicine that would knock her out for about 3 days. [​IMG] At the age of 50 they finally figured out she had a food alergy!! I think it was to diary products. So make sure you get tested or you can do it yourself with eliminating things out of your diet to see if that has any effect. I would keep a dairy each day and when you get a headache what did you eat that day. I don't know how often you get them but that is a simple way of doing it.

ok here is another one I was looking into from the 24hr pharmacist. you mentioned you have heart problems??? I will quote her here.

Head Banging Drugs is the title

It may come as a shock, but some meds cause headaches. Look in your medicine cabinet, and if you find any of the follwoing medications, ask your doctor for an alternative. Don't just stop taking them, however, since this can be harmful.

Nitroglycerin (for heart disease)
    Blood pressure medications
    medication used to improve circulation
    Proton pump inhibitor drugs (acid blocker) that treat ulcers
    Seizure medications
    Oral Contraceptives (the pill) and hormone replacement therapy

In this same book she also states that these foods are the migrane makers.

Tyramine causes an increase of norepinephrine, which increases blood pressure and can casue a headache.
    You will find it in chocolate, blue cheese, brie,Gorgonzola, and other aged cheeses, beans, and red wine; its also in cultured diary products such as yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk, and some sauces and condiments, especially those that contain vinegar. which includes salad dressing, ketchup, olives, pickles, marinades, sauerkraut and soy sauce.

Sodium nitrate or Nitrite, found in most meats avoid bologna, pastrami, pepperoni, corn beef, smoked fish, bacon, sausage, and hot dogs.

Msg .. this is Accent product.. This is also found in soups, diet foods, bouillon cubes,peanut butter, nuts, salad dressing,frozen pizza, doughnuts, hot fresh baked bread and fast foods.

Alchol,

Vitamins and Herbs, Some people take niacin to reduce their cholestral, but it can cause a headache because it increases blood circulation. Ginkgo biloba and vinpocetine are two other migrane makers which people use to improve memory.

Nighshade vegetable It hard to pinpoint these foods as a problem because headaches (and arthiritic flare ups) could take up to two days to become evident.. Tobacco products are on the list of foods to avoid as well as tomateos, potatoes, eggplant, cherries, peppers, sweet and chili, but not black pepper tomatillos, and cape gooseberries.

Aritifical sweetners

If you try one thing, try going off artifical sweetners for even one month as a trail. I can't tell youhow many people have thanked me for relieving their headaches with this trick.

Caffine this one is two ways it can cause a headache or relieve one. If you find that it helps you you can also try Excedrin Migraine.

Fruits Its usually dried fruits such as figs, raisins, and dates, that are the problem, because they contain preservatives. Usually sulfites that trigger headaches. Fresh citrus fruits, including papyas, avocados, raspberries, kiwifruit, and pineapple, could also be aproblem, but I'm not sure if its the pesticides they contain that trigger your pain or the fruit itself. Try organic fruits first and see if you still have a problem. If so give them up altogether.

This is lengthy I know but it sounds as though you arn't the only one who suffers from this so I posted all this for others as well.

Remember this isn't me saying this it is taken out of the book 24 hour pharmacist. This is another website I research among others.

I hope maybe this will help someone. Anyone got anything for finger cramps[​IMG] Just kidding. Sorry it was such a long read.
  17. trish777

trish777 New Member

Hello Sannon1ford,
    Sorry to hear you are suffering. I agree with Weebitty. You probably don't want to hear that because you may be wondering what you can eat with such a big list.

However, I have a friend and two family members that had Migraines.

My friend went to a naturalpath and too was given a big list of foods she had to cut out of her diet. Many of the foods that Weebitty listed.
    A couple of other foods my friend cannot have is soy and waye products.
    It might be best to see a Naturalpath to help you narrow the list of foods to cut out that are specific to your needs.

Wish you well,
    Trish