Moms who write for a living from home

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by Richie_N, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Richie_N

Richie_N New Member

I was wondering what moms who are afficianados of writing do the whole writing gig from home? Where do you find your gigs and do you join any article contribution sites on the side to make some extra bucks?
  2. eiryannie

eiryannie New Member

hi..i'm new here..
    Nice To Meet U..
    Actually,i didn't join any article contribution sites on the site to make some extra bucks. I just join some affiliate programs that can give me extra bucks[​IMG]
  3. pjworker

pjworker New Member

I do everything from home at this point. My main focus is writing, both for others and my own sites that I'm building. As to where I "find my gigs", I work for two companies that I found through the digitalpoint forums. I also have several other income streams that I'm working on including affiliate marketing, Adsense content sites, photography and I still do some paid survey programs. I love that there are so many creative ways to earn a living and build a business online.
  4. tidbits

tidbits New Member

The internet has made is so much easier for freelance writing moms to work from home. There are several writing job sites such as http://freelancewriting.com. I found my first off line magazine article writing gig through them. I've also found online writing assignments. One of which is an ongoing assignment.

You have to be careful, however, because a lot of the writing gigs are looking to get away with paying writers very small wages. Personally, I stay away from those.

In addition to searching online freelance writing sites, I've developed a few websites and blogs which also generate income.

There are content sites such as Associated Content and Suite 101. I'm partial to Suite 101 because I've been writing for them for a little over a year and my monthly income with them keeps growing.

As pjworker mentions, you can supplement your writing income with affiliate marketing too. I haven't quite got the hang of affiliate marketing as yet, but my sites bring in constant revenue.

There's a lot of stuff out there, my only advice is to diversify and be patient.
  5. so102778

so102778 New Member

I just started writing from home and really love it. I have picked up a few jobs from places like getafreelancer.com, odesk.com and elance.com. Another excellent site is genuinejobs.com. I like genuinejobs because they compile a lot of the freelancer writing (and other jobs) all in one place. I am trying to get up enough income so I can stay home all summer with my son. Slowly getting there!
  6. jackiereynold

jackiereynold New Member

Hey i did join a freelancing forum and was writing for some clients on pregnancy related articles, last year. However, it consumed a lot of time, so had to shift my job...Right now i m more an online surveyor. Though, i am looking for earning through Google Adsense, as i have heard it pays well [​IMG]
  7. preciousbabes

preciousbabes New Member

For those wanting writing jobs also have a look at www.genuinejobs.com once you have registered your email you can go to the jobs board which is full of opportunities.

Also look at webmaster based forums like digital points forum, there are always people wanting writers and content creators.

Good luck
  8. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Associated content is very popular for writing articles
  9. purple

purple New Member

The main company I work through offers me article opportunities so I tend to mostly write through there. I've picked up some work from digitalpoint as well and found my company on sitepoint. I don't just write though so its more of a fun paying side hobby.
  10. JDCruz

JDCruz New Member

I like oDesk. But there are also a number of good source like academia-research and allwriting.
  11. candi

candi New Member

I will have to check a couple of these out that have been mentioned. I'm always up for learning about new ways to make a few bucks. Then again, aren't we all. [​IMG]
  12. JDCruz

JDCruz New Member

Yes, we all are..

I suggest that you start with those that will not ask you to pay any money, how little it may be.

Good luck!
  13. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Associated content is also very popular
  14. justlikethat

justlikethat New Member

Hey everyone!

I am new to the whole making money online. I'm trying to make some extra income so I can continue to stay home with my daughter. I am currently with an online income system and it's slowly start to pay off but I'm finding that I need to start and make some regular income.

I am from a very small town, I was going to go back to work but I would only get min wage which is $8/h. By the time I paid for daycare, gas and car insurance I would only be bringing home $50/week. IT'S NOT EVEN WORTH IT.
    We just found out that our basement is full of black mold, so now we have to rip the whole thing down to the studs and start from scratch. Sorry I don't mean to be a complainer I'm just a little stressed at the moment.
    I came online to see if I could make some money from home, so that I can stay home and help contribute financially.

I'm going to have to check out the sites mentioned above. If anyone can offer me any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thank-you
    Victoria
  15. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Victoria,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Life can get a bit overwhelming at times. Just remember, "This, too, shall pass." [​IMG]

There are a few different ways to make money online, but they generally all take a good bit of time and effort up front before you start getting a steady income. I'm sure you have realized that.

Just stay away from things that promise instant riches. They are terrible time wasters no matter how good they sound. [​IMG]

If you can devote yourself to putting in so much time per week to work on building something (a niche topic website, for example) you will end up where you want to be if you can do the work and wait it out.

Blessings to you and yours,
    Angie
  16. pdan

pdan New Member

HI,

I'm new on the forum and to the idea of working from home. I am home for the first time in years, to take care of my little one. I live in Canada and find that most websites for writing pay only those who live in Canada. I didnt go thro many, only the ones like Helium, ehow and Associated content. The way you can earn thro these websites is on number of views. they dont pay upfront because you dont live in the US. Are there any websites which pay Canadians for the articles published on their websites? Your help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!!
  17. BillyPilgrim

BillyPilgrim New Member

Associated Content pays so little it's hardly worth it in my opinion. I prefer article marketing and send traffic too my own free sites.

BP
  18. Kecia08

Kecia08 New Member

I have been doing freelance writing for over a year now, and believe me, it is hard to get started in! I am slowly getting there though. I started out by writing at Helium.com, but quickly realized I was never going to earn a good income there. I now use multiple sources to get my projects.

I use job bidding sites like GetAFreelancer.com, Scriptlance.com, and Elance.com. They are similar to Ebay, only you bid on work and not stuff! Only bad thing is there are a lot of people in countries like India on those sites that will work for a lot less money than people in the USA would like to. If you can't handle starting out getting paid about $5 for a 500 word article, then it will be hard to build a portfolio and your reputation.

I also frequent blogs that discuss writing and jobs, such as freelancewritinggigs.com. NEVER pay for freelance writing job information!!! There is too much free stuff out there on it. There are MANY bloggers that have been freelance writing for years, and can help you get started.
  19. pdan

pdan New Member

Thanks Kecia! Your inputs certainly help.
  20. MamAtWork

MamAtWork New Member

Digital point really is a wonderful place to start out, so that you can build a portfolio and start making money whilst trying to find other companies. Beyond that, I found mostly private clients, all that started out on DP and who supply the majority of my income.