Motivation vs. Discipline, which is more important to you?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by Kami A., Mar 4, 2014.

1. Kami A.

Kami A. New Member

Studies show that money is not the best motivator (you've all seen that cute little animated video). I struggle with motivation, so I fall back on discipline. I'm a planner and list-maker. I get up every morning, make a list, set an earnings goal for that day, and don't stop until I drop.

I find that when people say they are unmotivated or uninspired, they really mean they have no self-discipline. Nike was right - JUST DO IT! Don't think about it. You're not an actor, you don't have to look for your "motivation."

I'll tell you where motivation lives. Motivation lives right beyond the rewards you get from hard, disciplined work. Once you start enjoying the rewards, you won't need motivation, because you will know that the discipline pays off.

Easier said than done, I know, but it is true that nothing worth having every came easy.

2. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Motivation and Discipline go hand in hand for me. Staying motivated helps me stay disciplined. Staying motivated helps me meet the goals I set. :)

3. eina26

eina26 New Member

For me it's motivation. :) I think I work better if I have the passion on what I'm doing and the motivation to do it. But yes, I most of the time flank on discipline but that's why I focus more on motivating my self to work.

payment proof likes this.
  4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Interesting question. I wouldn't describe either as more important to me. Motivation and discipline have unique benefits. And when those two elements are used together in pursuit of a common goal, the combination can create an unstoppable force that propels you towards that goal with speed and ease.

Hermas

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    payment proof likes this.
  5. Kyle.S.

Kyle.S. New Member

I've always been taught that action precedes motivation, meaning discipline is what I focus on. Like in that book "the slight edge" it's the little daily things, easy to do and easy not to do, that I work to continue each day. I like to fall back on lists to keep me organized throughout the day. I've found that when I make one the night before, right before I go to bed, I'm much more likely to be productive the following day.

Bonus, when I focus on the small daily disciplines, I gain more confidence in my routine and what I'm doing and the motivation follows!

6. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

I think motivation has to come first but discipline is required for success.
    I was motivated as a kid to get a job to "buy things" like a car.
    Then came a wife and kids who needed food & shelter.
    Those are what caused me to develop discipline.
    Now that the kids are grown and gone...
    I lack both motivation and discipline.

You might say I'm motivated to "do nothing", except hike.
    Whatever your goal, action is required to get there.
    Without a goal discipline is hard to maintain.
    Both are required if we want to succeed.

Vishal P. Rao and A8ch like this.
  7. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

I like your sense of humor, Jimmy.

Hermas

8. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

I second Jimmy. Whenever I find my family (my son including) leave for vacation, I find myself lacking in discipline. I eat more junk, watch late night televisions, etc. Kids do play an important role in disciplining you :)

Just2EZ likes this.
  9. echolocs

echolocs New Member

Discipline as when you have a plan and you work the plan it removes the requirement for too much thought and there is less chance of doubt.

Motivation can fade like will power, having a clear plan and a long term goal with short term ones means you tick them off. This builds motivation and generates its own momentum and motivation builds from success.

People always say "get motivated" but if you are inspired you dont need motivation as you have very clear idea of what you will achieve and work towards it by being disciplined and following your plan.

10. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

For me, one goes with the other hand by hand.

If one is not there, you can't have success.

11. Aaleeyah

Aaleeyah New Member

Motivation is important to keep yourself in discipline and strive hard for success. Motivation increases your inner strength and confidence.