My advice on getting paid to take surveys

Discussion in 'Paid Surveys' started by happygal, May 16, 2006.

1. happygal

happygal Member

How I make money, avoid spam and still enjoy taking paid surveys

At their essence, true paid surveys are unlike any other "get paid to" programs on the Internet. Why? Because the real paying sites are market research companies that work for reputable companies, political organizations, etc. to gather information. They aren't pyramids, investment opportunities, etc., they are research.

So why does the paid survey industry have such a bad name? There are a lot of sites out there that are scammers, spammers or just plain inactive. As an example. At last count, I signed up with more than 300 sites. After signing up with all of these sites, I had to weed through thousands of e-mails for supposed "surveys" and get off those lists that really were page after page of offers that wanted my credit card numbers. I had to deal with a fair amount of SPAM that suddenly began showing up. And today, I actively do surveys and get paid by 10% of them.

Unlike many other get paid to programs, most programs aren't build on downlines and referrals. Do some of them have referral programs? Sure. Some of them pay nicely, some not so well, some get you drawings for sweepstakes and most don't pay at all for referring people. Each month, I make less than $20 off referrals.

Can you make money taking surveys? Absolutely. I am to a point where I make at least $200 a month taking them. I spend about 15 minutes a day doing surveys, that averages out to $26 an hour. I think that's worth it. I have never known anyone who made $2,000 a month like some sites promise. It just doesn't happen.

Do I recommend signing up and getting involved? Absolutely. For two reasons. First, you are helping educate companies about their products. Put simply, you are making a difference. And second, the money is great too.

But, like any get paid to programs on the net, there are some things you HAVE to know.

1. The cardinal rule of taking surveys online? Never, ever pay to get a list of survey sites or to be added to a list of sites by someone else. In my opinion, I wouldn't even bother with the sites that say they will do this for free. Research the good sites, sign yourself up, individually with each of them and then you will know you are signed up and that your information is accurate.
    2. Do your research. There are companies that pay handsomely for referrals but will never send you a survey yourself. I don't recommend those and I won't suggest them either. Will you see a lot of other people promoting them. Absolutely, they are making money if you sign up. But are you looking to make money for taking surveys or make money from referrals...there is a difference.
    3. Fill out your profiles completely. Depending on the survey, any one of those questions could be the one they need to know to have you qualify.
    4. Take sweepstakes surveys from time to time. I don't do all of the ones I get in my e-mail, but when I have a minute, I do take them. Lets those companies know you are out there and willing to be active. Even sweeps companies send out paying surveys from time to time.

I track all of the sites that have paid me in my blog: [Link removed - Admin]

If that's helpful to you, feel free to check it out. Otherwise, I am always happy to respond to private messages.

2. Looking

Looking New Member

I also tried a few surveys from home. I got paid from one of them and only made about $50 to this date and I been doing them for a year now. The ones I do sign upo for say they pay but they really don't they put your name in a drawing. Thanks for the info.

3. photomom04

photomom04 New Member

Most all of the companies will first offer you a screener in which you get put into a drawing. The screener determines whether or not you meet the demographics for the actual study. If you meet the demographics THEN you will be invited into the actual study where you will make money or get a product test. I made about $400 last month from surveys. It takes awhile to get to that point. You will never make a living but it is a lot of fun and the extra money pays a few bills. You never have to pay for a list though. Most of the places that promise you can make hundreds of dollars a day are just selling a list of survey companies. They make it look like you are taking the surveys through them but in reality you still have to sign up for each company individually. I have a complete list of survey companies and it is free. You can access it by clicking on the link in my signature. I have personally signed up with each company listed and I don't include the 'junk" sites that are looking to harvest your email address.

4. happygal

happygal Member

Very true. I think people think they can get away with saying "Make $75 an hour" cause if you get lucky and qualify for a focus group, you will make that in an hour, but you will be lucky to have one hour like that once a month. I also track who I have been paid by, and don't list any sites that haven't paid me, on my blog, which is the link in my signature.

5. Looking

Looking New Member

Most of the survey sites I found are for points to redeem for stuff. I found only 1 that pays for surveys.

6. happygal

happygal Member

I would say that at least 30 fo the sites I get paid by pay via check, not points...so I would encourage you to sign up for some additional sites as it sounds like you don't have just the right mix yet [​IMG]

7. Looking

Looking New Member

I think I have signed up for atleast 25 survey sites. It's hard to find the good ones. The one that pays in points that I like is Lightspeed but the points I gat from the range from 25-500. They have some nice stuff to trade in the points for. My favorite pay is ACOP. I got about $50 from them over the last year. I'm still looking for the right site. I been through you site and photomom's site. Most of them I already signed up for. A few I resigned from. I should really make me a site with my favorite paid surveys.

8. happygal

happygal Member

It takes time, but I think the mistake I made when I first got going what just signing up like mad with site after site and hoping something would stick. Take your time, see what people have to say and go from there.

9. Looking

Looking New Member

The one that I really want to join is Pinecone research , but I'm having no luck finding sites with a banner ad on it. LOL... I'm going to keep looking.

10. happygal

happygal Member

Why is that the only one? Cause you are with the others? Or something else. While I, in a good month, can make $15-20 with Pinecone, that would be a good month with them. I tend to make far more money with the other sites I am with.

11. Looking

Looking New Member

There's onnle a few sites that I'm with that makes me money. The rest of them are points or entries to sweeptakes, which I really try to avoid the ones that only offer entries to sweepstakes. I feel if I'm using my time, I want something out of it. Let me ask you Happygal, are all the sites that make you money in your blog?

12. happygal

happygal Member

Yes, every single site that pays me is on my blog. Once I get paid, I add that site. And I have been paid at least twice by each site on my blog, so I am hoping to avoid flashes in the pan [​IMG]

13. lost_fan

lost_fan New Member

re: Looking...

acop and lightspeed are pretty good, yeah. my other favorites are ipsos i-say and otxsx. otxsx gives point, but you can get some pretty cool gift certificates from them and it doesn't take forever.

14. Looking

Looking New Member

OTXSX is not bad. I have 4500 points already. I don't get that many surveys from them. I get a few from ISay also. I also kind of like nfo but they only give me 10 points every week or 2.

15. happygal

happygal Member

I like OTX as well...they are very reliable and have terrific customer service. My only issue with them is the redundancy of some of their survey questions...but that seems to be more of a programming issue.

16. twnuck

twnuck New Member

I tried survey sites last year and found that:

a.) you can make some money and/or receive prizes
    b.) it takes longer than I expected

You really have to be willing to sign up and receive tons of e-mails and then respond to each survey. It actually felt like a real job [​IMG]

Todd

17. Looking

Looking New Member

Todd, it feels like a real job that you don't get a lot to do. LOL

18. elnath17

elnath17 New Member

Looking for Kelly S.
    I am a victim of a loan fraud. Need HELP!
    Any suggestions: financial, legal, other....

19. PNL Travel

PNL Travel New Member

Hi Happygal,

I forwarded you blog site to my Mom. She likes taking surveys and things on the internet. She tried to make money off of them last year and got very frustrated with it (she paid for a list of sites)! I just wanted to say thanks, maybe this will get her hopes up again...

[​IMG]

20. happygal

happygal Member

Thanks for the feedback. I hope she finds some that will be looking for people with her demographics and that she has great luck with it.