My world Turned upside down

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by jporter, Aug 26, 2009.

1. jporter New Member

Hello all I have resently had my world turned upside down I work for a local Bank for about 5 years where I was the Computer Tech. I managed close to 30 branches In Texarkana and Dallas. I made pretty good money got used of the life it was easy to get up in the morning and go to a job but then all of a sudden A major bank bought us out. They laid over 70 people off including myself now i feel lost. After this happend I told myself that I would not let anyone control my life like that again so im trying to start a couple of businesses and they are going so slow my question is how do you stay motivated and stop from feeling lost. I went from playing sports in school to this job and now I just feel like I have lost all motivation. My second question is how do I get that back any advice . Thanks
  2. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

First off. Change your perspective.

Your world was turned upside down!.

Congratulations =].

Quite possible that is the best thing that has happened to you.

What makes you think it was turned upside down for the worse?

Because I am looking at your situation... And it just seems that your world was flipped right side up.

One of my favorite quotes.

"Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life" - I don't know.

With that said.. What's holding you back?

Motivation is different for everyone.

For me it's mostly the challenge. It has kept me well motivated. I live in a small tourist town, and I want out =].

The average income I believe is only like $25,000 a year here.

My goal was always money related. I'm sure it will change as I get older. But I always wanted to prove myself ever since I was young.

When I was little I would always say I wanted to be a millionaire when i grew up.

So for me that's my motivation. Maybe not the greatest motivation for most people =]. But it works for me.

You need to find our own WHY.

That is what will guarantee your success.
  3. BobFirestone New Member

jporter: im trying to start a couple of businesses and they are going so slow
    For most people I would recommend picking 1 and making it work. When you divide your focus you divide your results and kill your momentum.

What kind of businesses are you trying to build? I personally find affiliate marketing really boring and lonely so I lose interest quickly. I prefer network marketing where there is a team and healthy competition to be the top person.
  4. joanpeterson New Member

You have to get a positive outlook on life regardless of the circumstances. For instance, some people get depressed when they have a birthday because it indicates they are getting older.

I tell them to rejoice in having another birthday because you either have a birthday or you are dead.

So get focused on what you want to achieve in life and what it is that you have to do to get there. And then just do it! If you were in the bank's IT department, you already have skills that you could market online. Do your computer skills allow you to help people online?

And if you are healthy - then just get out there and kick butt!
  5. A8ch Gold Member

joanpeterson: So get focused on what you want to achieve in life and what it is that you have to do to get there. And then just do it!
    Joan, that's great advice and I totally agree.

The "unfortunate" circumstances we sometimes find ourselves in, ought not to be viewed as obstacles, but stepping stones. If we can embrace that perspective, then we'd begin to understand that life does not promise security at all, (at least not in the manner that we've been conditioned to recognize it), only opportunity.

And if we can free ourselves of all anxiety regarding the future, tune in to the opportunities that present themselves in the present moment, and then take advantage of them, we'll begin to understand and appreciate the true security that opportunity offers.

Hermas
  6. jporter New Member

Thanks for all the advice it really does help out Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
  7. cthen New Member

I can understand how you feel, because I feel that way everyday I have to go to my J O B. There are no guarantees in life, but if you find something that you believe in, that will motivate you. That is what gets me up, keeps me up at night & pushes me to work hard at my future. Be willing to work harder for your future than just existing in the present.

All the best,
    Connie
  8. westfam11 Member

jporter,

My husband was laid off from his computer job in June
    so I know where you are coming from.

At first it was a blow, but we realized that we could
    control our outlook and attitude about it. That made
    an amazing difference.

You are still the same person you were before, don't
    let this destroy you. Get up every day and do something
    towards building a business, learning, etc.

My husband got busy selling things on e-bay, Craig's list,
    etc. while he is looking for another job.

It sounds like you are young. You have your whole life
    ahead of you. Hopefully, later on you can look at this as
    something that spurred you on to have your own
    business and not have to worry about this ever
    happening again.

All types of people are making a lot of money on-line
    and you can be one of them too.

Becky
  9. nanlar New Member

So sorry to hear of your situation. But now is the time to turn over another page in this book we call life. It is important that you look at this as an opportunity rather than a loss. What do you truly enjoy participating in. There could be something far greater than you can imagine out there waiting for you. something inwhich you are aslave to noone but your own ambitions.
    Good luck to you!
  10. apbenefits New Member

I can agree with Joan Peterson. You need to pick one business that you find that you enjoy the most and could be the most successful and dedicate yourself to it. Become Passionate about what you are doing. Having more then one can become very overwhelming and you may get lost in the mix of all of them.

I know this is the first time in my life where I love what I do. I wake up in the morning and can't wait to start my day. Before starting my business, I used to dread going to work, leaving my kids, and basically helping someone else get rich. Now, my future, my kids future is in my hands. It is in my control to provide them the life that we always wanted.
    All I have to do is look at my kids and that is enough motivation in its self. They are my #1 reason WHY I want to be at home. So, even though I know I may have a bad day, or week or who knows a month, I know it will not last long and it will get better. As long as I stay consistent, be patient and passionate about my business.

It is also very motivating to have a team to work with. I know with the company that I work with, we have SOOO much daily support, training and advice it is unreal. You not only get the help you need, but create friendships. So, when you may feel like no one is supporting you at home, or you are not getting the results you need, you always have someone who is doing the same thing you are, working towards the same goal. So she/he is able to bounce new ideas, train you in new areas and just be your support system!

I suggest that you choose the one you find most interesting and then work on yourself. Maybe get some self development books. They will help you become a great leader, self motivated, confident and more!!!
  11. Jessweaver55 New Member

I was in the same slump and after reading all of these posts, I am going home and working on MY business.
    I want the freedom to wake up when I'm done sleeping and take a vacation if I want to. Not when someone tells me I can.
    It's amazing when you know that it's all at your fingertips, just a little energy and time and the world could be yours!
  12. John Park New Member

I've been laid off for almost a year. I have been learning about internet marketing for almost 2 years. I'm still trying to make a steady income and look for a job (which there are none in my field). My career of 30 years went up in smoke, but I sit here day after day driving myself because I know that one day everything will be fine. I'm grateful that I have the ability to do this. I'm grateful I still have my home. If you want to be motivated, think about how much you have compared to others. God Bless You
  13. Jean LA New Member

Working for youself and taking earnings for your own is the greatest thing that you can do when you control your life.

Sometimes it is nice to turn your world upside down sometimes.
  14. ACB123 New Member

This will probably be the defining moment of your life!! What a great opportunity.

You now have the freedom to do what you want instead of what you have to in order to make money.

Take a moment step back, take a deep breath and collect yourself. You may feel lost and unmotivated right now, that's ok. Enjoy the break. Eventually this will pass. Use this as an opportunity to relax and take stock of what you've accomplished and what you want to accomplish.

In the end, use this opportunity to live your life and work the way you want to, again, not have to. Good luck and let me know if I can help you in any way.
  15. talfighel Silver Member

When one door closes, another one opens up. I know that it may not feel like it right now but this is really true.

I suggest that you keep a positive attitude no matter how bad the situation is. In every bad situation you need to find the positive.

Maybe it is time to open up your own business.

Now you have the opportunity to take real control of your life and find something that might make you happy. Again, being your own boss is the way to go.

Tal
  16. moneyathome New Member

It is definately perspective. But I know what you mean. I have had business online that have gone nowhere. If I am not at least $100 a day on the first day I start a business it is pointless to me and I usually give up. But that is me and not a great example. Recently I just got determined to go for it. I started a new business and I new that it would take time to build. I mean I just started it like yesturday and I already have over $100 invested. My motivation is to at least double my business expenses to make my money back and make a profit. I am motivated because I want to be financially secure. I have had $4200 weeks and it is great! But that is gone for right now so I need to get used building slow. Just keep you goal in mind. Use your time management. Make small goals for yourself and reach them daily. If you make small goals and achieve them you will feel better about it going so slow. If you continue to achieve all of your small goals sooner or later they will add up to your big picture goal and you will be where you need to be be. God Bless you.
  17. rickcerd New Member

The above advices are great. First of all, do not create false expectations about anything. You probably thought you would be on your job, nice and cozy, forever. As the world changes, so do we. Life is permanent motion and you have to be willing to change and adjust. Those who play that game, are generally the ones that do best. Through change comes opportunity. Opportunity to grow personally and emotionally. Believe me when I tell you, that you are a better person today, than the last day you were in that company.

Do not let fear cloud your vision and dreams. Set yourself some goals and develop strategies and tactics to meet those goals. You will rise up again, no doubt about it, but the ingredient for success is within you. I could be sheering you up all you want, but there will be a time when you will be alone with your thoughts. That is the time when you have to design your present and future. Do it, do not waste a single more minute thinking about the past, but only as a reference. Most importantly, remember somthing there is no success without a previous failure.

You have to reinvent yourself, but let your enthusiasm be your guide. Look to find what you want to do, and feel passion for it. Treated as you would treat your favorite game.
  18. rwjennings New Member

Hi jporter, I relate to your situation in a very real way. All I can tell you is what helped me. I went to the library and I looked for stories, either books or on the internet, it didn't matter. Stories of people who have overcome great challenges in their lives. I kept reading and reading about so many amazing people who weathered the storms they were in. After awhile I used those stories to give me strength so I could get through my own personal challenges. By connecting with the strength of others through their stories I was able to come out the other side unscathed and even a bit stronger. Get to the library my friend.

Rob
  19. Dana K New Member

It's really all a matter of perspective.

One of my favorite quotes is, "Apathy is a fur-lined pit." It's easy to lose our dreams and become apathetic when we simply punch an employer's time clock day after day after day.

Most people settle for the 9-5 grind because it's the path of least resistance, NOT because they like it. How many of our family, friends and neighbors dream about financial independence? How many actually do something about it?

Think of it this way: You've been released from the emotional & financial bondage of working for someone else. Now you're able to truly reach your potential.

Is it easy? Absolutely not! That's what makes it so special. That's what separates the winners from the losers. And frankly, don't we all need our scars & "war stories" to help inspire others? How can we encourage and mentor without firsthand experience in the trenches?

If self-made success were easy, everyone would do it. The fact is, it's tough, dirty and absolutely worth it.

Arm yourself with motivational books, CDs and support forums. Refuse negative thoughts - they're a luxury you can't afford. Make a commitment to succeed, no matter what. Surround yourself with successful, like-minded people. Consistently and persistently work your business plan, even when you don't want to.

As George Foreman says, "It's hard to beat a man who won't stay down."

Refuse to stay down.
  20. Levi501 New Member

I'll stay on the lines of looking at it in a not so bad way jporter. You mentioned your love for sports and wanting to start your own biz. Some time away from the routine of work allows us to really reflect on what we should be doing if we didn't have a job. Consider it a blessing rather than a misfortune.