Need a advise

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by pulaj66, Mar 25, 2009.

1. pulaj66 New Member

Hi every one ,im just new here.I need some advise. I have some book with recepes and plenty cooking techniques. All books are old my father gave to me.I like to publish ..so i have to open a webside bye a domain and hosting etc..I just wanted to know..can i break any rules by publishin them on my webside...and this site is gona work ..to get some ad....for covering a host...thx and i hope im gona get some advise[IMG]
  2. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

If the book is copyrighted, then you may not publish it. You'll be violating the copyrights then.
  3. happywife Gold Member

There's a limit on copyright. It's been a while since I checked. I think it may be around 60 years before work becomes public domain. Check to see what the law states to be sure, but if they are pretty old books, you may be able to publish them.
  4. A8ch Gold Member

If you intend to republish those books on a website you should first investigate copyrights attaching to the originals, as HappyWife suggested.

For your general information, the U.S Copyright Office states that:

Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

Hermas
  5. samda Member

Just pay some money to the publisher and the author if he is there. Also promise to credit them in their website. They would be happy to allow you.

If you do so without their notice it might get you in some problem.

Sam
  6. pulaj66 New Member

thx every one.. very helpful...[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]