need help with brushing kids teeth

Discussion in 'Raising Kids' started by rohini, Jul 1, 2008.

1. rohini

rohini New Member

My daughter is three and is very naughty.....She hates to brush her teeth and It takes half an hour to make brush her teeth every morning......I just dont know what to do.....Ihave tried all the trick but didnt work...Anyone has a suggestion feel free to share them.....may be that might work for her...

2. BillChechel

BillChechel New Member

Wow thats a tough one. All of my kids love to brush their teeth and always have.

I am assuming you have a toothbrush with a character on it. My kids love the scooby doo and disney type toothbrushes. In fact they love to pick new ones out all the time.

I do know that you have to be careful the toothbrush does not go too far back in their mouth. If they gag once they will be very nervous the next time you go to do it.

And dont use regular adult toothpaste. My kids always complain it is "too spicy". I guess the mint is overpowering.

You have to try and make it fun. I dont know the exact way to do that for your child. And explain the results of not brushing. Maybe go online and find pictures of people with bad teeth on a dentistry website. A three year old knows enough about actions and consequence to get the picture.

Good luck.

3. rohini

rohini New Member

Thanks a lot.....I do have a dora character brush and the princess toothpaste but probably she swallows the paste and feels like vomiting......that might be the reason she does not like brushing.....I observed it today...

4. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Different tricks will work for different types of kids. For some fear may work whereas for others, encouragement or even bribing. Fear works well for my son. One of his friends has his tooth extracted and I constantly remind him of that if he gets reluctant to brush. I also show him the fillings in my teeth and ask him if he wants teeth like that later. He is 4 now, but I brush his teeth myself. I know it's time to let him do that himself but I'm scared whether he'll brush the right way or not. I absolutely dread the prospect of taking him to a dentist later [​IMG]

5. annadenise

annadenise Active Member

Good luck. When mine were young I found that finding a tooth paste they liked made them brush more often, but the downside is you do not want them to be eating all of that flouride.

We used to let ours brush their own teeth in the morning and mid day, but at night Mom or Dad did it - same as Vishal - scared they will not do it correctly or thoroughly.

One of my kid's did much better when we got him a battery powered kid's theme tooth brush.

6. hayenna

hayenna New Member

It is a tough one. My cousin had the same problem with his kids, of course they also egged each other on in not liking to do it, so when I was on vacation in the US ( I live in Sweden) I picked up some tooth brush holders that are shaped like animals for them, and they loooove playing with them, and have started approaching this whole thing with toothbrushing quite differently... and the good thing is, my cousin is really happy cause the brushes are protected and don't catch bacteria while they are in there! i got mine at the zoo, but i think they can be found online too, they are called My Flipper, or something like that!

7. rohini

rohini New Member

Thats a good idea....I should try one......

8. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Hello rohini,
    I have the same problem with my son who is now 8!
    We began brushing his gums with a soft cloth when he was a baby.
    Yes, he began kicking, screaming...it was not much fun.
    We even tried to let him choose a prize as a reward afterwards, to no avail.
    I showed him images of rotten teeth...
    What I do now is turn off the tv until he finally cooperates, and also take his treats.
    Lately, I take a few minutes to myself first and just immagine his cooperating...and this helps a lot! Then I go to him smiling, and tell him it is time.....and most of the time he is more willing to do this .
    Victoria

9. candi

candi New Member

I have always had luck with this trying to make new and fun ways to get the kids to brush the teethies. Sometimes its not as easy if you have a stubborn little one but it takes patience and practice.

10. gradyp

gradyp New Member

The two things I always do is give my little one a time limit. If he takes longer than that, I do it for him. Since he wants to do it himself, he is pretty motivated to do it in time.

Grady

11. Elljay

Elljay New Member

Hi there

My daughter can sometimes be funny about brushing her teeth but some ideas on how I usually get the job done it either letting her use 'my tootbrush' (it is the same as mine and kept as a spare for her) Let her stand infront of a big mirror and brush her teeth, she likes wtching herself and sometimes lets me do it for her so they can get a really good brush[​IMG]
    Hope these may help some x

12. RyanMis

RyanMis Guest

You know, I / we have to hold our three year old down to brush his teeth when he gets into one of his moods. It sucks, but sometimes they have to know that you mean business

13. MamAtWork

MamAtWork New Member

There are so many brushes to try! Have you tried a musical brush that only plays when they brush? Or, brush in front of the TV and they only get to see their show if they allow you to brush.

I had a lot of issues with my little one (now three) and held her down for two years. She hit two, and something clicked. She fell in love with floss.....and I told her we couldn't floss till we brushed. From that day forth I had no problems.

14. kelly wood

kelly wood New Member

I took my kids to the store with me and let them pick out their own toothbrush and toothpaste. It took a little time to find the right toothpaste cause they all liked something different( I have 3 girls 15 months apart). Even now they all use different toothpaste. May is she picks it out she will be excited to use her "new toy" I also agree with trying musical ones or they have some that will flash for a couple of minutes and when its done you are done brushing.
    Good Luck