Need input for being an online employee

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Milady, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Milady

Milady New Member

Most of the work at home entries listed in the forum are for MLM and income opportunities. I need some real help with identifying a possible illegitimate prospective employer. I've been searching for someplace to ask my questions and this seems to be the best place.
    I applied for a work at home position via an online help wanted. It took a week but I got an email asking more questions about me and then I was requested to add a few people to my Yahoo messenger which I did. It took a very short time and someone came online stating he was the CEO of the company and would be conducting the interview. I thought it was strange that an interview would be done this way but I let it go. I asked about the business: where it was, how to contact them, etc. He sent me the company's profile which had an address, phone, fax. I did a search on the net and the address is nowhere and the phone number is actually a cell phone. I did question the guy about this and most of his answers were vague or did not really answer the question at all. The bottom line of all this is that I have been given a list of specific duties I will be performing and the job title I believe is 'account assistant'. I would be processing invoices and checks, handling petty cash, etc.
    Due to the unwillingness of this person to fully explain his business I was really skeptical. He requested I sign a "Code of Conduct' form for my file. I told him to send it and I would have my attorney look at it...he didn't even flinch. Now, I'm confused. The next thing I get is an email telling me that in order to have a proper work environment I need additional equipment. I was given items needed with a request to provide a quote for the items, send it back to him, and he will send a check to cover the purchase. What blew me away is the items needed are top of the line and are expensive. I intend to email that same question-why the best? I would like to play this out until he comes clean or it does become a legitimate opportunity. He has quoted a salary and the hours are flexible.

Is there anyone is this forum who has had this experience? Is it possible that it is real?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Laurie [​IMG]
  2. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Check if the cheque is genuine
  3. Milady

Milady New Member

I have requested that he send me the money via Western Union or Paypal. No response yet.
    I already intend to make sure the form of payment is legitimate.
    Any other suggestions you could make would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the reply.
  4. Chaz T

Chaz T New Member

In my experience, I have come across biz opportunites that presented themselves in a similar fashion. Some were genuine opportunities while others were a red flag! So research, research and research. Don't buy on "impulse."

There are so many ways to spot a scam. One is ask them if you can have the contact information of some of their current employees. This is a great way to see if anyone else has had success in their online business. If they refuse to give you that....red flag!

Another way is contact info (as you pointed out). Make sure they have a physical address listed, email and phone number! If you're serious try contacting them through all these methods and see the response time or if they respond at all. Most scams will try to hide or fake all this info because they don't really want you too know who they are.

This should give you more piece of mind as to who you're dealing with and if you should continue or move on to something else. There are more ways but try those for now. Best of Success!
  5. pcwork

pcwork New Member

The checks which you have to process may be fake.
  6. Chaz T

Chaz T New Member

Quoting: pcworkThe checks which you have to process may be fake.

Very True. Keep in mind that even though your bank will cash the check/money order/cashiers check, they will hold YOU responsible to pay should it be a fraudulent. It almost happend to a family member of mine.
  7. Milady

Milady New Member

I appreciate all of the input provided here. As to the checks, if I let him send the one for the equipment, I intend to take this check to the bank, have them fully investigate where the check came from, if it is legit and if the funding source is valid. After that, I will cash the check but not put it directly into my account. I feel this way they cannot track where I will be depositing the check. I'm unsure if the bank gives this info when they make a direct deposit from check to account so I think this would be the safest way to go. As far as the job itself, you're correct to point out that the job of processing checks and accounts may be where the real scam is. I intend to not use my own bank account to process these checks. I have already insisted that I have access to their own account for the job. If it is a legit job, than this request should be acceptable with no questions asked. To date the person I've been talking to has been very slow with responses to my emails and questions...but he still answers. Not sure if he's scrambling to get info to satisfy me or he genuinely is busy. He says he travels from Vegas to NY frequently. Will keep this forum posted on my experience so that if it is a scam, others will be warned about this type of scenario.
    Thanks again for the help
    Laurie
  8. Chaz T

Chaz T New Member

Go get um Laurie. Yes, keep us updated on the latest with your findings!
  9. photomom04

photomom04 New Member

Any updates on how this turned out? I am glad to see you weren't willing to deposit the check.. that is scary... in the future or for anyone else, if you want legitimate companies to work for take a look at the list at wahm.com and there is one on my website as well. These are all legitimate companies where you actually fill out an application etc.. They do usually require that you have experience and skills but most jobs do.. Good luck! [​IMG]
  10. RMQ2007

RMQ2007 New Member

This sounds like a variation of a Nigerian 419 check scam. They send you a check for more than the amount you need to cover an item to secure the purchase, a deposit, or in this case, your "employment."

Then when things don't work out they ask for a refund but tell you to keep the extra amount.

In the end the first check is bogus and you're out the total amount of the check they send you.
  11. Chaz T

Chaz T New Member

Thanks some great info to chew on RMQ2007. Thanks.
  12. foxdi

foxdi New Member

whatever u do don't open your account for direct deposit so he can clean out your bank account. i was taken for $2000. on a scam and one of the reasons i went ahead was the fact i was given phone #'s of other employees and spoke with 2 others and they were part of the scam. now i have been used on another scam for the parcel delivery scam. they didn't get any money but they have my id and address which they use to send stolen merchandise or stuff bought with stolen credit cards. anything that don't make sense has something wrong.