new guy looking for something to do

Discussion in 'Work at Home Dads' started by greg_wahf, Apr 19, 2010.

1. greg_wahf

greg_wahf New Member

I have a full time job as a consultant in the healthcare IT industry and I work from home exclusively unless I am traveling to a customer which is becoming a very rare occurrence these days. I sit in my office and spend a lot of time in front of a computer and on the phone but I also have a very flexible schedule and/or a lot of opportunities to multi-task. So, if I need to go mow my lawn or go watch one of my kids play sports, I can usually work it into my day. So, I've recently been thinking of how I might turn that into an opportunity to possibly make a few dollars on the side. I'm not very good at sales or making marketing contacts and though I have worked with computers in some form or fashion for my whole career, I know nothing about creating or hosting websites. And I have no capital to start any sort of traditional business.

But when I search the web for things to make money from home, I'm overwhelmed and am certain a good deal of what I find is some sort of scam or at least nowhere near as good as it seems. I've been an ebay user for many years but have never used it for any sort of profitable business but I'm at least familiar with the culture. I recently looked into maybe a drop shipping business via ebay but I get cold feet and never take that step.

I'm really just looking for things I can do in my spare time that might make a few bucks here and there. But it needs to be something that I have to put little or no money into upfront with not a lot of risk. I'm not looking to get rich from it but it would have to be enough money to be worth my time.

Any suggestions?

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Yeah, don't try dropshipping on Ebay.. it is a good way to lose money.[​IMG]

BUT if you are familiar with Ebay and have some items you'd like to sell and it's okay if you don't make a huge profit off it, try listing them with the auction listing and start the bid at .99..... it's free and if it doesn't sell, you don't lose anything...

I have sold on Ebay for about 5 years now and it is my bread and butter but I also do affiliate marketing and in the long run the affiliate marketing is what will be my bread and butter - right now it is kinda like the jam... something extra and special. [​IMG]

I personally like the SBI program as everything you need is included but it does cost to use it so you can always use free places like Squidoo and blogs and try your hand at it.

Good luck!
    [​IMG]

3. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

From what you have said I think M5 may have given you great advice!

SBI would really be a great first step for you to take in learning to make money from home in your free time. There is little investment and you don't have to worry about "selling" anything to anyone.

SBI teaches you to take things you are knowledgeable about and turn it into money!

It also teaches you fundamentals that will be very helpful if not essential in being successful making money from home.

Good Luck!

Matt

4. BRobins

BRobins New Member

Look at newtork marketing aswell. You don't need any particular skills and anyone can do it. Good luck.

5. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Hello Greg,

I had great success with eBay.

Shipping physical products was time consuming work, especially of you get into freight as we did. We sold International Harvester parts. (boring yet very profitable)
    Selling vintage books on eBay was great fun.

So, I went to affiliate marketing, and wanted to add to that.

This year, I am into MLM and loving it.

Yes, the amount of information is overwhelming. Big time.

Before joining anything else, you may wish to ask here in the forum if other members have has success or complications.

Have a great day,
    Victoria

6. Mike McClurg

Mike McClurg New Member

Hi Greg,
    Find something you really have an interest in.
    Personally I love the network marketing industry.
    I enjoy connecting with others and of course I
    enjoy making a residual income.

To Your Success

7. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I would get into network marketing and do this on a part time basis. This is the best way to go and can possibly get you free from your job.

Tal

8. happywife

happywife Gold Member

greg_wahf: But when I search the web for things to make money from home, I'm overwhelmed and am certain a good deal of what I find is some sort of scam or at least nowhere near as good as it seems.
    Smart man! [​IMG]

I second Viola's suggestion about using SBI. It does have the annual fee involved, but if you plan for it, it's petty cash in the end.

I've been a successful user of SBI for a few years and can't speak more highly of the whole entire business building program.

It takes a lot of effort up front, but less and less as time progresses really, unless you just want to keep expanding your business. Definitely worth looking into.

Blessings,
    Angie

9. JHandy

JHandy New Member

There are a number of things that come to mind and SBI is great as well as network marketing. The biggest thing to consider is to make sure that you follow your passion in whatever it is that you choose. If it's network marketing, I would recommend grabbing hold to a mentor or two to help shorten your learning curve a bit. If you've done it before, that's even better. Just remember man, follow your passion and the extra cash will come.

Jerry

10. wrlawrence

wrlawrence New Member

I recommend one thing Site Build It. They took a novice like me into a webmaster. Your can turn your passion, hobbie and your medical field that you have knowlegde on into a profitable online business.
    The cost is 400.00 a year and gives you all the video, written and tools to make a website thank ranks in the top 3% with the major search engines.

11. happywife

happywife Gold Member

wrlawrence: The cost is 400.00 a year
    Actually, SBI is only $299 per year or $29.99 per month ($359.88 per year). Best value around! [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie

12. carterstory

carterstory New Member

Have you looked into affiliate programs? Most affiliate programs are free to join. You can usually find an affiliate program for any area that interests you. If you have a lot of free time you can spend your time blogging, or promoting the affiliate program, then save that money for more promotion (pay per click) or to join a network marketing company.
    There are free network marketing companies like Data Network Affiliates, but in order to start seeing a good amount of money you're going to need to bring in about 100 people into it.

You can also look into starting a niche blog that will bring views & clicks through adsense, or another ad server.

Hope this helps you get started turning your free time into money.

-Adam

13. StephenClark

StephenClark New Member

If you're looking for the simplest way to create an income online, you should definitely look into affiliate marketing.

Do you now much about affiliate marketing?

I know alot of people promote MLM and, while you can certainly make money there, I've found it to be very time consuming. Having to train people all the time just wasn't for me.

Affiliate marketing basically narrows it down to a very small number of things to focus on. mainly just traffic generation.

So, if you have SPARE time, and not UNLIMITED time, then affiliate marketing is always my advice.

14. ryanbiddulph

ryanbiddulph New Member

There are so many options. Affiliate marketing opportunities are low cost. The best thing you can do at this point is to hit as many forums as possible and bounce these type of questions off their members.

Network marketing is another solid option. Again, low cost.

The research portion of your campaign is as important as the work portion. Even if you're looking for a few extra bucks save yourself time and wasted effort in the long run by zeroing in a legit opportunity now.

15. wrlawrence

wrlawrence New Member

I agree with the others that you should look into Site Build It that teaches you how to take your passion, hobbies and interest and turn it inot a website that gets the free clicks. They took a novice like me inot a webmaster making money online. The danger, It's not get rich quick because it's a real way to make money online. Good Luck in your search!